March 2012 Moms

Soy Sauce & Pregnancy

Good morning Ladies, I know its a bit late to ask, but is soy sauce safe while pregnant? Saturday I had a craving for sushi (1st craving w/ all the m/s) So I had some fried rice & a Huricanne roll of course dipped in soy sauce.  Then last night I made some fried rice too..with low sodium soy sauce.  Then I get on the bump to read about it and I read that is a No-No ? So i'm a bit confused, have any of you ate food with soy sauce.  THe following is what got me concerned in the first place, this is a post from a user in May 2009 on the bump: 

"You should absolutely not eat soy. I live in Japan and they are advising all pregnant women to avoid ALL soy products during pregnancy because it leads to a much higher probability abnormal sex organ formation, such as hermaphrodism. "

Re: Soy Sauce & Pregnancy

• I have never heard that soy was an absolute "no", but that you should have in moderation because it can mess with your hormones. The idea that you would eat so much that it could have an impact on your child's hormones seems far-fetched...

And really, the amount of soy sauce you consume with sushi or in cooking is so minimal. I might not wash it down with edamame and soy milk in the same sitting.

I really really wouldn't worry. I had soy sauce with my sushi last night.

DS 04.25.08 DS 03.14.12 missed m/c 9w1d :: 6.18.10 :: d&c | missed m/c 9w3d :: 11.2.10 :: d&c
  • I have never heard that before. If that quote is just from a user with no further information linked to actual research, I wouldn't even consider it.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Loading the player...
  • Well if it's bad I'm screwed because I eat a lot of soy.

Also...don't believe everything you read on the internet. 

ETA: Think about it...edamame is soy beans which would count as a soy product. Edamame is considered a very GOOD thing to eat during pregnancy.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • THANK YOU!!! You have put me at ease.. I was a bit worried, but not hysterical.  THe only thing I'm really not eating is the seafood recommended to stay away from and of course alcohol..but other than that I eat everything in moderation as always..Caffeine intake, I don't like coke or coffee...but I EAT MY CHOCOLATES :D Just once every 2 weeks... But other than that I'm not obsessing over the food... Thanks again, I plan on asking the doctor just to triple check, but I will not be going until next week.
  • imagesalt78:

Well if it's bad I'm screwed because I eat a lot of soy.

Also...don't believe everything you read on the internet. 

ETA: Think about it...edamame is soy beans which would count as a soy product. Edamame is considered a very GOOD thing to eat during pregnancy.

I was thinking the same thing about edamame. And I've been eating a TON of it :) 

• imageBelinda80:
    ...but I EAT MY CHOCOLATES :D Just once every 2 weeks...

Wow, that's restraint.  I have chocolate daily.  I look forward to my evening chocolate panda paws ice cream.

Now I'm craving sushi too.  I had a california roll and edamame yesterday at lunch but now I want some agadashi tofu.   

BFP #1 - Missed M/C, D&C 3.21.11

BFP #2 - Sylvie V. Q. born and died on 10.28.11 at 21w. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP #3 - Evie V. Q. Fetal demise @ 16w. DC 7.8.12
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP  #4 - Beatrix V. Q. Born 6.2.13 at 23w6d.

My blog My chart
  • There must be a lot of hermaphrodites in Asia...
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had a coworker who was from Japan (born and raised) and ate soy during her pregnancies and has two normal healthy kids. 

Besides I don't think the soy the poster you quoted was probably refering to was soy milk/tofu that kind of stuff.  I think the amount of soy in soy sauce is relatively low.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • milk bothered me when i was pregnant with DS, so I drank soy milk with no issues. DS seems fine Smile
  • Look at all processed food. 99% of it has soy in it.
  • I have soy milk every day and eat a ton of soy since I don't eat a lot of meat. I think if it was a concern my doc would have told me. Plus I didn't read anything about that in the baby books.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I avoid soy in general because it is a phytoestrogen.  I try not to eat too much of it.  But soy sauce, as PPs have mentioned, does not have very much soy, so even if you were concerned about soy, I wouldn't be concerned about eating less than a tablespoon of soy sauce.
  • imageKCB&JZM:
    There must be a lot of hermaphrodites in Asia...

This was my thought too after reading the first post.  lol

Praise God from whom all blessings flow. :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"