Working Moms

DH thinks this is a waste of money, but.....(vent)

He thinks that me spending money on professional photography for LOs one year old shots is a waste of money and that I should instead spend that money for him to buy better camera equipment so HE can take them. He THINKS he is a hobbiest, but I would never tell him that I just don't think he has the eye for it. I humor his hobby, but when it comes to my kids cherished pics, I really have something else in mind. and FYI, I am getting them done friday, regardless (and he doesn't know yet - I figured I'd surprise him with them after I can confirm how awesome they are). He can go get his photography equipment too, I don't really care.

So in the meantime, he just learned he MAY have to go to Germany for a week and just dropped $180 on Rosetta stone so he feels more comfortable there. After I reminded him that they will all speak way better english than he will know German. 

Regardless, we both work hard, don't spend much money on ourselves, rarely argue about money and both deserve either of these things, but I just find it funny that he balks at kids cherished photos, but has no problem dropping $180 on something he probably won't even need (and I bet never learns, because he will get too busy, tired, or just forget). 

I just don't get men sometimes! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: DH thinks this is a waste of money, but.....(vent)

• Yeah, we have those kinda conversations in our house too.  Don't worry, you aren't the only one.  We just prioritize differently, I guess.  Definitely get the pictures taken - to me pro pictures are always worth it!
  • Gee, do you live at my house?

I am a photographer so will TOTALLY back you up on the photos LOL

But its things like my $25 for yarn to crochet or for a pedicure to his $70 for a new video game, or $300 for sirius radio that we have the same conversations about.. and he just does not get my point either LOL

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers M: 31 DH: 34 Dx: PCOS, Endo, Uterine Septum Ovarian Wedge Resection - May 2009 BFP #1 - October 2009 = DS BFP #2 - June 2011 = DD (Total Surprise!) Tree nut allergy in DS diagnosed 4/2012. Currently working with EI for SPD and possible ASD.
  • Loading the player...
  • That's frustrating!

As a photographer, that is mildly insulting ;) There is a reason why professional photos are just that, professional- there is a dedication to the craft and money/time invested.  Also, very often children respond differently to someone who is not their parent.

There is a great article floating around that you could show him about why using a professional photog is important.  I'll look for it!

C ~ Spring 2006 Baby! Photobucket
  • We've been doing professional pictures every 3 months this first year because I feel DS changes so quickly.  I cherish these pictures so much, and every time I look at them I feel it's money well-spent.  Plus, the grandparents, extended family, etc. love them.  After his one years, I think we're going to do them once per year.

We used to get in a lot of squibbles because we each felt the other was spending money on "dumb" things....We ended up sitting down and making a budget and deciding on a certain monthly allowance we each get.  We can blow it on whatever we want, no questions asked.  For larger purchases, we decide together how to prioritize our list of wants and save up for and purchase things in "order."  If one of us gets some "surprise" money (bonus, birthday money, freelance work, etc.) whoever earned it gets to blow half and put the other half in savings or use to pay down a debt.  This system has really worked for us!

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Definitely get your pro-pictures if you want them!

I can relate. Most recently, DH said that I shouldn't go get a pedicure because we're trying to save money (mind you, I do almost nothing for myself money-wise and we're very careful generally speaking) but it's ok for him to spend at least $40 in gas every time he has to go to judge at a BBQ competition (when all is said and done, he'll have judged at 3 this summer). Lucky for him, I just haven't found the time to go get one yet...but I will!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a decent camera setup and I still have a family professional photog and he is ridiculously expensive.  But to me, totally worth it.  We can't afford to do it all the time but do find the money to do it once and awhile.
  • Ask around for which cheep place does a good job - JC Penny, Sears, Target, etc. They all have coupons for great prices and a lot of the time they are photography students and really good. We go 2-3 times a year for $20 each time. I love the pictures and have spent more money on things I don't love.

Next summer we will have a pro picture taken with our wedding photographer. It will be a lot more money, but I think DD will like having a non-studio photo of her family like I have from my childhood.

I was a photo major in college and take tons of pictures myself. There is something about someone else's photos of my kids that I love. GL!

met DH 1995 ~ married DH 2006 ~ completed our family 2008
    Life is good!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"