Preemies
Options

New to the board

Hi everyone,

I recently delivered my baby boy Matthias Hunter on sunday August 21st via emergency c-section due to a placental abruption. He was 17.5 in. long and 4lbs 9.9 oz at 33w6d.

He is doing good as of now. He is off oxygen, off both iv's but still being fed through a tube. He is anemic because of the abruption and was just put on epogen yesterday, so hopefully it works and helps him produce more red blood cells so that we can avoid a transfusion.

Apparently white males have the hardest time learning how to suck (at least that's what all the dr's have said) so he will most likely be in the nicu up to his due date of October 10th.

This is the hardest thing I have ever had to go through in my life and I am so thankful that there is a board like this one so that I can communicate with others going through the same thing.

I look forward to getting to know you all. I hope all of our little ones continue to grow and prosper.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New to the board

• Options

Welcome! Congratulations on Matthias!

I had my LO at 31w3d and he was truly a wimpy white boy.  He was still home before his due date.  Don't get too discourage.  He might be there until his due date, but he might not.  The "pat response" all NICU people give for the length of their stay is "until around his due date".  My little guy started taking bottles in his 34th week (very few and very low volume) and was home at 37 weeks.  

We've all been there.  It is the hardest thing you will ever do.  But, you'll get through it.  This board was (and still is) a huge support for me.  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

Welcome and congrats on your little guy.

I have two "wimpy white boys". They have done surprisingly well with the nipple feeds, so you just never know.  Today I was told I might be able to bring Miles home next week when he reaches 37 weeks.  His brother is just a little bit behind because he is and has always been smaller, but he's still doing great.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Congratulations!  Another mom of a "wimpy white boy" here, and he was born at 26 weeks.  We were really lucky in that he was released at 36 weeks gestational age.  Babies born THAT early usually do end up staying in the NICU until their due dates.  Try to just take it one day at a time and not worry too much about when you'll be released.  You'll get there at some point.  

It's definitely hard, but you'll make it through.  We're all here to help if you have any questions. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Options
    Congratulations!! I am also a mom of a "Wimpy White Boy", He was born at 32 weeks an was in the NICU for 31 days. They kept telling us my due date and we got him home early. It really just depends on him. Wyatt would get on a count down an a day before he would go home he would have issues and we started over again 3 times. So dont loose faith, he will come home as soon as he is ready! Good Luck mommy and baby.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Mine is a Wimpy Indian Boy. :) I've heard loads of tales of how boys are slow learners, but they all make it out of the NICU eventually. I had my little guy at 33 weeks, 5 days and he was a little smaller than yours. He is still getting his oral feeding sea legs, but getting there. He will be 37 weeks on Thursday, and they are telling us it will be our last weekend in the NICU.

It is really tough, but you can do it. Just remember, every day brings new challenges but even more new joys. This board is awesome, too- everyone has been so friendly. Good luck to you!!!

• Options
    imageUFMADDIE09:

Hi everyone,

I recently delivered my baby boy Matthias Hunter on sunday August 21st via emergency c-section due to a placental abruption. He was 17.5 in. long and 4lbs 9.9 oz at 33w6d.

He is doing good as of now. He is off oxygen, off both iv's but still being fed through a tube. He is anemic because of the abruption and was just put on epogen yesterday, so hopefully it works and helps him produce more red blood cells so that we can avoid a transfusion.

Apparently white males have the hardest time learning how to suck (at least that's what all the dr's have said) so he will most likely be in the nicu up to his due date of October 10th.

This is the hardest thing I have ever had to go through in my life and I am so thankful that there is a board like this one so that I can communicate with others going through the same thing.

I look forward to getting to know you all. I hope all of our little ones continue to grow and prosper.

They always joke about the wimpy white boy syndrome. That said, it's the norm but not the rule - out of my triplets my "wimpy white boy" who had brady's in the beginning requiring 10 days of caffeine came home first, almost 2 weeks before baby c. They told us to always plan on them coming home around their due date, and then any day earlier would just be icing on the cake. Good luck and welcome!

Oh, and I have to ask... does your screenname have to do with the Gators by any chance?

~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Congratulations and welcome to the board!!  Our twins were also born at 33w6d (Erin at 4lbs 2oz, and Will at 2lbs 7oz).  They both came home before their due date.  Erin came home at 32 days and Will joined us all at home at 37 days... about 2 weeks shy of their due date. 

Matthias may surprise you with his suck/swallow/breathe thing...  He may pick it up before his due date, and then he'll be ready to go.  

The NICU is a tough place, and I'm not sure anyone is ever truly prepared for it.  Try to remember to take care of you and your DH -- get rest when you can, give yourself time to heal, and take time for you and your DH.  And, do what you need to do for you -- I know it seems like you're a bystander, but get involved as much as you can (taking his temp, changing his diaper, etc.)  

Thinking of you!!!  

Mr. & Mrs. ~ 09.08.07

• Options
    imagehunt2005:
    imageUFMADDIE09:

Hi everyone,

They always joke about the wimpy white boy syndrome. That said, it's the norm but not the rule - out of my triplets my "wimpy white boy" who had brady's in the beginning requiring 10 days of caffeine came home first, almost 2 weeks before baby c. They told us to always plan on them coming home around their due date, and then any day earlier would just be icing on the cake. Good luck and welcome!

Oh, and I have to ask... does your screenname have to do with the Gators by any chance?

Why it sure does! I graduated from UF in 2009 :)

• Options
    Thank you all so much for your supporting comments! It's comforting to know how many women go through this and make it out ok. I know it feels as though it is never ending sometimes but I know I will get through it. I can't even imagine how hard it must be for those of you who've had your LO's REALLY early in the 20+ weeks when it's this hard on me at almost 34 weeks. Best wishes to you all and all of the little "wimpy white boys" out there :)
  • Options
    I'm class of 2004, my husband is c/o 2005! Go Gators! :)
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"