Northern California Babies
Options

Gliders: a must have or not?

I'm on the fence on whether we should purchase a glider or not.

Did you purchase a glider or not? Was it a necessity for you or a spurlge? Pros and Cons?

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Gliders: a must have or not?

• Options
    We actually ended up with two gliders, one for DS's room and one for the living room.  Used them both for thousands of hours over the last three years, so yes, they were totally worth it for us.  Splurging on the recline feature was worth it to me - though in our case it wasn't too much of a splurge since we got an awesome deal on craiglist for both gliders.
  • Options
    I live in mine for all nighttime feedings.  We got one that reclines and swivels, but I don't use the recline feature all that much.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We got one, but it isn't a top of the line glider. We actually use it more now that G is older. When he was a small baby he ended up co-sleeping with us so I didn't need it for night time nursing. Occasionally we would use it to rock him but not a lot. Since he started sleeping in his crib (around 9 months) we use it all the time. He sits in DH's lap during story time, I do our last nursing session before bed in the glider and if he wakes up at night I usually just go back in and nurse/rock him in there for a few minutes. At this point I'm really glad we have it. I would love to have one of those nice plush gliders but really the one we have is comfortable enough and suits our purposes. I will say that if I had been doing the night time nursing in G's room all along I probably would have wanted a higher end glider, one that reclines and is a little softer.

This is the one we have https://www.justforbabies.net/Hoop-Glider-Ottoman-Yellow-Gingham-White_i32937

• Options
    For us I'd say it was a necessity.  It was where I nursed L in the night.  We would rock him to sleep for naps in there.  As he got older we would read stories with him on our lap in there.  We used it daily until we moved him to his big boy bed and we now read the books in bed with him.  I loved ours.  Worth every penny.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We used ours (and still use ours) daily.  I definitely feel it was a necessity.  We still use ours to read stories together before A goes to bed.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We were lucky and got a glider for free from my BFF and didn't really use it until the past year or so. For us, we probably could have dealt without one, but it has come in handy since we did have one and didn't have to spend money on something.
  • Options

We didn't have one because of space issues in our last house and it is one of the few things I regret. I would still be using it. A glider is on my "must have" list for the next bambino.

There were many mornings with a sore back from rocking on the floor, feeding in the solid leather chair or just swaying from side to side on foot.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

It's my #1 nursing spot in the house, so I consider it essential.  I will carry the baby upstairs to nurse in the glider rather than nursing on the couch- that's how comfy it is.  I use my Boppy on the glider and the positioning is so perfect, I can actually nurse hands-free if I need to.

We spent a fortune on ours and I definitely regret that- but at this point, I know how many hours, months and years of use it's going to get, so it's a must-have IMO.

PM me for our family/baby blog

Haley Beth ~ March 3rd, 2011

• Options
    We went through phases of using it more so than others. It was a life saver when she was sick. I really wish we had spent the money and bought something nicer that reclined, but we got our money's worth from the one we bought and sold it later. Had we bought something more furniture-ish I would have kept it.
  • Options
    Love our rocking chair. Didn't realize how much until we were gone for 4 days without one, when we got home I was so happy to feed E again in the rocker. So for me, essential.
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Options

Essential in our house too.  It's the only place I nursed once he was not sleeping our room.  We read bedtime stories there.  I see it getting tons of use for years to come.

We also chose a tan color that will match almost any decor/color scheme.  I will move it to the living room once we are done having kids.  It is sooo comfy.

If you don't want to pay full price, check CL.  We got a top of the line model that was barely used for 75% off retail.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It is a necessity for us.  I used it so much when M was a newborn I brought it out to the living room so I could watch TV while nursing.  We splurged and got one that reclined which has been great.  M went through a period where he would wake in the middle of the night and not go to sleep unless someone was in the room so my DH would actually sleep in it.  We still read stories in it every night. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have two.  Still use both daily with both kids.  I say yes, it is a necessity. :)
  • Options
    We have a rocking chair instead of a glider but definitely recommend one or the other. We didn't get it until around 2 months since we were in the process of moving. It was the first thing we bought after getting here. Totally worth it. We use it all the time. We got it used on cl.

• Options
    on the other side of the fence: we gave ours away because he would scream more whenever we sat in it. to this day he doesn't like swinging.
  • Options
    Gliders are not popular in NZ, so they are hard to find and super expensive.  So instead, I got a black leather La-Z-Boy chair.  It's awesome.  I got it when I was 6 months pregnant and slept many nights in it b/c I was too uncomfortable to lay flat.  I used it to nurse, and now use it daily to feed and rock DS.  We both love it.
  • Options

I had a lazyboy one for a bit and gave it to my friend when we moved.  I never sat it in when I nursed, but I co slept till 6 months old with DS # 1 and he STTN after that.

I don't see a need for it for my DS # 2. 

• Options
    We got a regular rocker/recliner before DS was born and it turned out that in the beginning I only used it for pumping.  I didn' t like nursing in it at all.  I nursed in our recliner upstairs all the time though.  So we gave it to my mom.  And I regretted it when DS was about 18 months old and I had no place in my house to rock him other than swaying in my own lap.  Ouch!  We went without one for about a year and I missed it terribly.  We now have a hand me down PBK rocker and I love that thing.  I hold him there and rock while doing his after bath routine when he'll let me.  :)
  • Options

It was the best purchase we made for the nursery. We use ours all the time to feed and just rock to sleep. We got a recliner/rocker and I actually have slept in it as well when I was further along in my pregnancy.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Angel Baby - 5/22/2010 @ 13 weeks. Always in our hearts.
  • Options
    I don't know how useful it will be, but I found out last weekend that we are getting the rocking chair from our in-laws. I'm excited because DH's grandfather built it. We opted for the rocker since I hate the look of gliders, plus, you know, FREE. I definitely wanted a rocker or glider, since my mom had one for me and DH's mom had one for him. It just seems like one of those things you need to have. Good luck making your decision.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic My Boys! BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    We didn't have one for the first three or four months. We got it after we moved to a house because we had no space for it in my condo. It was a godsend. I highly recommend. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"