January 2012 Moms

Used Breast Pump-Advice

A coworker of mine has been very generously giving me tons of her old maternity clothing as she is done having children.  Today she offered me her Medela In Style pump with carrying case for $75.  She bought it three years ago and used it for two children.  I would need to get new tubing, but that doesn't seem too expensive.  I looked it up and saw that it retails for $299.00 on Babies R Us, but I don't know anything about pumps! Do they tend to last a long time? Is it a smart investment to get a used one expecting a long life with it? Any advice would be great! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Used Breast Pump-Advice

• We bought ours Medela PIS brand new off ebay for $180.  That being said, when we took the bfing class at the hospital, the LC's said there is nothing wrong with buying one used as long as you replace all the tubing.  They will even do a free check up of it at our hosptal to make sure it's clean and working right.  I say, especially since you know the person, that there's nothing wrong with getting it used.  You may want to find out how much she actually used it with both kids though, b/c IMO $75 is a little steep if it's been used a ton.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Pumps do last a long time. My friend gave me hers. Once you take off the tubing you are just left with a motor, so there isn't really a contamination risk or anything gross hygiene wise. I almost bought the tubing online, but am glad I didn't because the lactation nurse at my hospital had a little kit for $25. WAY cheaper than anything I found online!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I am just going to throw this out there that the Baby Bargains book said- "DO NOT BUY OR TAKE A USE BREAST PUMP". They were talking about the tubing and risk for contamination and yadda yadda yadda. Mind you, I've never seen a breast pump in details, so I can't speak for myself... Just wanted to throw it out there.
    DD 1.18.2012
  • I bought a Medal Swing (single pump) off of CL for only $20. It's a $160 pump. I have to buy new tubing and a new breast shield for it but even with the new parts I only will have spent under $40 on the thing. I would say it is a smart idea to buy used especially considering how much they cost brand new. You can get something else on your needed item list with the money you save.
    Rachel, mama to Ava (6), Olivia (4), Nora (2), and baby#4 on the way.

• I bought the same pump used for 90 bucks and I'm going to buy new tubing.  I've been told Medela is the absolute best and they are supposed to last a long time.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"