High-Risk Pregnancy

Gestational diabetics: what is your recommended blood sugar range?

I?ve been reading that some of us have a different ranges that our doctors want our blood sugar to fall between so I was wondering what they were.  My doctor wants my range to be within the following:

Fasting:                                 60-95

1 hour postprandial:                140 or below

Also, do they tell you to test your sugar exactly one hour after your first bite of a main meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) as my doctor did?  Or do you test an hour after you finish your meal?

Thanks for fulfilling my curiosity.  :-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Gestational diabetics: what is your recommended blood sugar range?

• You're lucky! My fasting numbers range from 70-91 and my post-breakfast numbers are mostly under 110.  Before I took my meds, my after-lunch and after-dinner numbers ranged from 165 to 250.  Wince.  I wish I didn't have to take meds but we all do what we must.  :-)
  • Fasting below 95.  She didn't give me a range she just said if it's below 70 then I should eat breakfast immediately.

2 hours after last bite of meal - 80 to 120

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Fastings under 90, 1 hour from the first bite of a meal under 120. Anything under 60 is too low, but in two insulin dependent GD pregnancies I have yet to see a number lower than 70.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My fasting has to be under 90, I don't think they ever gave me a bottom number to watch for. I hope it's not 60, cause I'm under that every morning lol.

I have to be under 120 one hour after my first bite of food.

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Ideally:

Fasting under 90, 1 hour under 140.   It was easy for awhile and now that I am later term, its much harder.

I am insulin dependant though and already on 50 units to keep my fastings under control.  My A1C is perfect at 4.8 so as long as my fastings remain until 110, they aren't concerned.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Fasting: 60-90 (dr said 95)
    2 hours after meals: 90-120

Mine is 2 hours following when I finish a meal.  If it takes you 30 minutes or longer to finish a meal your results will be different from someone who ate in 15 minutes and certainly different than testing from the start time.  But again I'm at 2 hours, maybe 1 hour is different. 

• Fasting= under 100 which seems to be very rare

all other meals=under 120 2hrs after starting my meal.  

imageimage

• Fasting is below 90- ideal range is between 60-80.  Maybe there has been one time where it is below 80, but it is mostly high 80's or mid-80's for me.

After meals- 130 or below. I should test 1 hour after first bite.  I've never been very good about noting the exact time I start to eat though and so I often guess when I started based on what time I finished.  

• Fasting: 60-89

2 hours after starting a meal: 60-114

Daily Average: below 100

Weekly averages for after breakfast, after lunch, after dinner: below 100

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Fasting: Below 100

2 hours after last bite of meal: 120

Its interesting how everyone's guidelines differ just slightly, like whether you test one hour or two hours after meals, etc.

• imagebabylins14:

Fasting: Below 100

2 hours after last bite of meal: 120

Its interesting how everyone's guidelines differ just slightly, like whether you test one hour or two hours after meals, etc.

Same here.

• Fasting 60-90.

2 hrs after each meal 60-120 starting when I take my first bite of food.

• Fasting: 70-90

1 hour after the end of my meal: <120

• Mine -

Fasting 60-95; 2 hours after finish eating 60-120

I had the option to do 2 to 2 1/2 hours after the first bite or 1 1/2 to 2 hours after finishing.  I do the 2 hours after finishing.  Which I have always thought to be odd that they are so flexible with that because when I took my 3 hour test my fasting number was fine, my 1 hour was huge (like 220) and then my 2 hour and 3 hour numbers were fine.  So I'm not surprised that I've been able to diet-control during the day.  If I had to test at 1 hour pp I bet my numbers would be higher. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"