Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Breast feeding and Bottles?

I'm going to be a FTM of twins and I plan to EBF, but I plan to have some bottles as back up in case I need to pump and bottle feed. My question is, I would like to buy life factory bottles (or another company's glass bottles). Some of my amily members, who has their own young children, think I'm crazy and are not supportive of glass bottles. Can anyone tell me about their experience with glass bottles? Are there any "safe" plastic bottles or should I only get glass or stainless? Any advice?

Re: Breast feeding and Bottles?

• Options

I'd definitely buy some bottles, but not too many since you don't know what your kids will prefer for the nipple. I suggest the cheap glass evenflo brand. Very sturdy and inexpensive. I've dropped them onto the ground and the only part that broke was the plastic ring around the nipple. They also screw onto Medela pumps which is great.

You can get silicone covers for the bottles if you want, but they're unnecessary i my book. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We used the medela glass bottles and thought they were okay. The one major beef I had with those was that we lost a few of the nipple-holder-things (the frame part with the whole in the middle). When I grabbed out the same part from our plastic medela bottles and even went and bought replacement sets they didn't fit the same. The storage caps for the glass vs. plastic were different colors (white vs. yellow or backwards). I'm not sure if they've fixed this or not, but it was really frustrating to throw a lid on and be out somewhere with the bottle in the diaper bag and realize its the wrong lid since its all over everything. Also, its been several years, but if I remember correctly the glass bottles didn't screw well into the pump either so I had to pump into plastic and then convert to glass. This all seems lame for such a reputable company. Hopefully they've fixed it all since then.

There are lots of different brands of covers for glass bottles. I'd be afraid to NOT use them, but I'm pretty cautious when it comes to safety stuff. We tried to buy the silicone covers for the graco glass bottles at target and use them for our medelas, but they didn't fit and we wound up breaking the covers in our attempts to stretch it. Since we mostly used them for storage I never pursued it further, but if DD had been a baby who walked around with a bottle I would've looked harder... Seems like something etsy would have or you could make pretty easily.... in between all of your free time of taking care of twins. ;) Congrats, btw!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Glass is great for at home. I have a friend that used glass bottles exclusively and the only ones that broke were those that fell on a hard floor while they were out (think restaurants or grocery store). Huge mess and not fun for others to clean up. 
  • Options

Just wanted to chime in and say to try not to use the bottles until your twins are at least 8 weeks old.  With twins, you want to really establish your supply and nursing relationship before introducing the bottle--it's even more important.

And get whichever bottles you want! : ) 

• Options

I've been using glass bottles for four years now - the same set of glass bottles - through three children.  I've never had one break and they have been dropped on every surface possible, including cement.  I use Evenflo glass and am very happy with them (they also fit directly on my Medela pump).

The best part about them is that I can throw them in the dishwasher to clean and also freeze milk directly in them.

• Options
    image+adamwife+:

I've been using glass bottles for four years now - the same set of glass bottles - through three children.  I've never had one break and they have been dropped on every surface possible, including cement.  I use Evenflo glass and am very happy with them (they also fit directly on my Medela pump).

The best part about them is that I can throw them in the dishwasher to clean and also freeze milk directly in them.

This, and be sure to leave room at the top of the bottle for air if you freeze them.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"