Special Needs

Anyone have LO who is HIV+?

DH and I are adopting, and this is listed as a special need. 

We are wondering what kind of routine care your LO gets (if any out of the normal), and roughly how much you pay for anti-retrovirals. My mom made it sound like they're crazy-expensive, but she hasn't been the very-most-supportive in our process. 

TIA! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
Application approved Dec '11
Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
Homestudy complete July 19
USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
Come home, baby A!

Re: Anyone have LO who is HIV+?

• We are planning to adopt internationally. Thanks for your help!
    Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
    After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
    USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
    Come home, baby A!
  • I'm not sure which state you are in, but you should start looking into medicaid waiver programs, they maybe have something specifically to cover aids/hiv drugs as well.

I just looked and the social security website and it lists HIV infection as a covered diagnosis so you could apply for that as well.  Normally to get medicaid you have to atleast apply for the social security & then if you make too much you apply for medicaid waiver, etc.

It differs state to state.

Good luck.

ETA: i don't know the protocol for children but I work in a pharmacy and most, if not all of the aids drugs I've seen are brand name & in the $1000 range/month without insurance/per drug.

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Loading the player...
  • This post has been edited by a moderator
    to remove the redirecting hyperlink spam

PLEASE STOP SPAMMING THE BOARDS
  • this blog - onethankfulmom.com - might be able to help you. they have adopted 4 children from africa and i believe at least one is hiv+ - she is very open and im sure if you msgd her privately, she might be able to help you a bit. she might also be able to tell you some other families you could connect with to help you out.
    Cloth diapering, VBAC, BF & FF, AP momma to two 2 and under. Special needs - DS born with clubfoot and diastrophic dysplasia (dwarfism)
  • Thanks, ladies!
    Come home, baby A!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"