Parenting
Options

Would you be annoyed?

This weekend is my family reunion, we have it every year on Labor Day weekend and we get together at a Youth Camp, some people tent, some bring their campers and others sleep in some of the cabins. The past few years we've shared a cabin with my mom/Step-dad, Aunt and Uncle and my Grandma. The cabin we share is one for the camp counselors so it has a kitchen unlike some of the other cabins that are for the summer camp. It has two bedrooms-one has a bunch of bunk beds and twin beds in it and the other has two full size beds in it. We didn't go last year because I have having a c-section the next week.

I e-mailed my mom this morning at work to find out what all I need to bring as far as bedding, etc. She proceeds to tell me that she told my sister that my niece could sleep in the cabin, she is 14 months. My sister and her bf are borrowing my moms tent which is HUGE, big enough for two air mattresses, a pack n play and their dog crate. She goes on to say that they'd probably put my nieces pnp up in the room DH and I and our 4 kids are sleeping in (ages 1 year-6 years). DS is an early riser, my 2 year old is a night owl and impossible to get to bed at night.

My grandma, mom/step dad and Aunt and Uncle would share the big room that has all the twin beds in it. I don't feel I should have to be responsible for my niece and either should my mom if she wakes up during the night, it's not like my sister is going to be camping right outside the cabin, they set up all the tents in a ball field which is a short walk from the cabin. I know if my kids wake her up my sister will go into an absolute tiz about it and I don't want to deal with that either.

Maybe I'm just annoyed because I'm PMSing but DH is upset too and we talked about maybe just bringing out tent and sleeping in that and it may be easier. Because with 2 adults and 4, possibly 5 kids in one room, chances are there is going to be a lot of in and out of the room trying to keep everyone quiet and get everyone to sleep, etc. I'm afraid of what I'll e-mail back to my mom so I'm trying to calm down a bit before I discuss it any further with her.

Am I overreacting? 

Re: Would you be annoyed?

• Options
    I would be annoyed if I was responsible for my niece along with my 4 kids especially when it comes to sleeping in a new place! My two didn't sleep well at all in new environments at that age. I think the baby should sleep with her parents. If your mother offered to give them a night off and she wants to be responsible for the baby then I think that is fine. 
  • Options
    I would not sleep in a place where I was basically TOLD that my 4mo niece would be.  When your Mom gets annoyed I would tell her that you did not agree to watch your 4mo niece.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Tell your mom that you'll bring a tent too.  You and DH can sleep in the tent and your mom and stepdad can sleep in the room with all the kids.  I mean, if people are assuming that other people want to take care of extra kids, you might as well do it too.  

-or-

If you don't mind sleeping in a tent with the kids, maybe you could have your sister sleep in the cabin (so she can take care of her own kid) and you could use both your parent's tent and your own...you take two kids in one and DH take two in the other so that there is less chance of one kid ruining sleep for all 5 other people.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    This is really an individual thing.  It would not bother me.  4 or 5 kids?  What's the difference at that point?
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options

yes, I would be annoyed -- 1. at your mom for saying it was ok without talking to you (if she really felt 14 mo niece should sleep in that part, why not in the room with her(meaning your mom)? and 2. at your sister for being dumb - if she'd really flip out if one of your kids woke her dd, then that's just stupid.  I think if you're "allowing" (or pawning off) your kid with a family of 2 adults and 4 young kids, you have to be willing to accept that ANYTHING could happen in the middle of the night - talking/not falling asleep, someone waking for nightmares/potty/etc.  Those are all totally normal things that become more complicated when in tight quarters.

ETA - as far as what to say to your mom, I'd probably start nice, just trying to understand her thinking more.  Along the lines of "I'm confused, why wouldn't niece sleep in the tent with sister?" before going off on why it's a crazy idea.

• Options
    I'd definitely inquire why your mom even offered for your niece to sleep in the cabin in the first place, why can't she sleep with her own parents?  And to the poster that said 4 or 5 kids, what's the difference...I definitely think a kid that is sleeping in an unfamiliar place, AND not with their parents, is going to be an additional strain on anyone.  So yes, I'd be annoyed, and would be nice about it but would not agree to it. 
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies! I called my mom last night and I asked her if it was possible that another cabin could be opened up so that my sister and her BF could sleep in the cabin too or we could bring our own tent. She's always afraid of making me mad so she backpedaled and said "Well I just told her she could leave the baby in the cabin to sleep, I don't know if she'll do that or not" My mom takes my niece like every other weekend to give my sister a "break" I love my breaks from my kids as much as the next one, but I think my sister takes advantage of it. We live 4+ hours away from my mom so it's not possible for her to take our kids for an overnight or weekends. I would be fine with my niece sleeping in the same room as us if #1  I was asked if it was okay and #2 she wasn't so attached to my mom or my sister. It takes here almost a whole day to get warmed up to me and she cries unless my mom or sister are holding her or in her sight. So if she were to wake up in the middle of the night I'm the last person she'd want to see. My mom has since offered to sleep in the room with ALL the kids. We'll see how it all plays out tomorrow night!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"