Babies: 9 - 12 Months

What am I doing wrong?! (Sleep Question)

I'm at my wits' end. I've decided to sleep train my LO, not exactly crying it out, we will check on him if he's really crying. If he's just whining, we wait it out.

He'll start to doze off while sitting up and pretty much looks like a drunk drifting in and out of sleep. He'll do this for about 10 minutes before I TRY to go in and lay him down because he seems to be asleep (via baby monitor), but the second we crack the door an inch he freaks out and starts crying all over again.

This has gone on for the last 1 1/2 hours. He hasn't been screaming the entire time, but I've tried to go in and lay him down twice and when he sees the door move, he starts all over again and we're at square one.

We did this last night, but it took only 20 minutes because it was way past his bedtime and we were all exhausted, he just fell asleep sitting up against the railing and H went in to lay him down.

Today, trying the same thing, not working!

What am I doing wrong? What should I change??? I put him down at 6:30 and it's now 8! He's currently sitting up in bed looking around, sleepily and I don't know how to get him to fall asleep properly!

Help PLEASE 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What am I doing wrong?! (Sleep Question)

• When is his last nap?   DD would freak out if we tried putting her to bed at 6:30 too. 

• What the others suggested. Also, do you have a bedtime routine? We do bath (every other day), bottle, jammies, books (2), then bed. We also do most of her routine in her bedroom. I think that's really helped. Before she'd freak out for an hour, even if we were holding her. The routine and sleep associations have helped wonders!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey! Thanks for the responses..

To answer all the questions:

He usually wakes up from his last nap around 3ish (a little earlier or later depending on the day), so he seems tired when we're playing, but by the time we actually get to the sleep part of the routine, he seems like he has energy again.

His bedtime routine is solid - bath (every day), put on pajamas, lay down together for some snuggies and nurse and then he goes in his crib. He's not too fond of books in bed for some reason, but I hope that will change because I have tons of bedtime stories I want to read (maybe when he gets older). I lay him down and turn on his Sleep Sheep and tell him goodnight and that we love him and pat him a bit and leave.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong. The book says I need blackout shades so that it's consistently dark for him to sleep. Do you all have them? Is there something I'm missing? I feel like I'm doing something wrong!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would skip the going in and laying him down part. I suspect, he's comfy sitting up and when its not comfy, he'll lay down himself.
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Why are you going in and trying to lay him down if he's soothing himself to sleep/falling asleep, even if it's sitting up?

Almost every night DD does this. She sits in her crib and then starts to wobble back and forth when she gets tired like she's drunk. Eventually, she just folds in half with her head in her lap and falls asleep that way. She'll stay asleep like that for like 15 minutes and then at some point, she rolls over into a normal sleeping position and STTN. If we went into lay her down, I'm sure she'd just get upset that we woke her.

• imagekafunder:

Why are you going in and trying to lay him down if he's soothing himself to sleep/falling asleep, even if it's sitting up?

Almost every night DD does this. She sits in her crib and then starts to wobble back and forth when she gets tired like she's drunk. Eventually, she just folds in half with her head in her lap and falls asleep that way. She'll stay asleep like that for like 15 minutes and then at some point, she rolls over into a normal sleeping position and STTN. If we went into lay her down, I'm sure she'd just get upset that we woke her.

This.  Stop going in.  Just stop.

Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• Hey, I didn't realize you weren't supposed to go in to lay them down?

I could have sworn the book I read said that it was okay to do this.

I'll try not doing this tonight and maybe trying to put him to sleep later.

Thanks! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"