Adoption
Options

Inducing lactation

I had a doctor's appointment today with my OB/GYN for my annual exam and we discussed our adoption plans and my desire to induce lactation. She was very supportive but, of course, told me not to go into it with the hopes of exclusively breastfeeding. If I went into it with the mindset of a bonding experience, then that is great.

Long story short, she wrote me the prescriptions I need to get started! I'm very excited. I am not naive to think it will be a puppies and rainbows experience, but I am very passionate about at least trying it. If anyone is interested in the steps I'll be taking, you can find the info here.

If anyone here has any experience to share, I would love to hear it (the good, bad, and ugly). I'm really excited to start the process and hopefully have a few months to be on the medications before I begin the pumping process. Of course, if we get a very sudden match/placement it could throw everything for a loop, but I don't think I'd complain. ;)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Inducing lactation

• Options

I've never induced lactation, but I can tell you to get some lanolin for your nips. It won't be needed until you start pumping, but it really helps during the... toughening up stage.

Congratulations on this step! BFing is the loveliest pain in... well, the boob! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
    Application approved Dec '11
    Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
    After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
    Homestudy complete July 19
    USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
    Come home, baby A!
  • Options
    Yay for you! I would have loved to try breastfeeding, but I have too short notice of baby's arrival:(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi!

This is the same plan I am going to use.  I will also be using a Lact-Aid supplemental system to use while trying to build up the supply, but here is the website for the system:

https://www.lact-aid.com/

A question for you, Boxermama, Lenore recommends a very specific (and expensive) pump.  Will you purchase a pump or are you planning on renting a hospital grade pump?

Funny story: I love trying to render my mother-in-law speechless, since she has an opinion about EVERYTHING.  While I was talking about inducing lactation with my SIL (her daughter, my hub's sister) my MIL's jaw dropped. Tongue Tied I think I even saw the look of repulsion!  After a few quiet moments, she looked at me and said: " Well, I guess YOU CAN FOOL mother Nature!" and walked away.  Score one for the Daughter-in-law!!!!!  Smile

Good Luck to you and let us know how it works.

• Options
    imageJoe'sSweetPea:

Hi!

This is the same plan I am going to use.  I will also be using a Lact-Aid supplemental system to use while trying to build up the supply, but here is the website for the system:

https://www.lact-aid.com/

A question for you, Boxermama, Lenore recommends a very specific (and expensive) pump.  Will you purchase a pump or are you planning on renting a hospital grade pump?

Funny story: I love trying to render my mother-in-law speechless, since she has an opinion about EVERYTHING.  While I was talking about inducing lactation with my SIL (her daughter, my hub's sister) my MIL's jaw dropped. Tongue Tied I think I even saw the look of repulsion!  After a few quiet moments, she looked at me and said: " Well, I guess YOU CAN FOOL mother Nature!" and walked away.  Score one for the Daughter-in-law!!!!!  Smile

Good Luck to you and let us know how it works.

Hah! I've gotten a few weird looks at the mention of it, but I thought it best I tell everyone in my immediate family/friends circle now so it wasn't suddenly shocking when they saw me nursing our adopted infant. 

I do plan on buying a really good hospital grade pump, but I'm waiting to do so right now because I'm just starting the meds (probably after Labor Day).  I'm going to try to remain on the meds as long as I can and *ideally* we'll be matched with someone who is due at least 6 weeks from match. That's when I'll start pumping, so I'll try to time buying the pump closer to then (and in the meantime, save for it).

I've heard eBay has some better prices on them, so I'm going to look there. Bust of luck to you, too! When do you start the process?

• Options

My plan is to start once we are matched.  But with my luck, we will be matched with less than a month to go!  Not that I would complain (by any means).

Good luck and keep me/the board posted. 

• Options
    Yes  im alreading in the middle of it and today i start pumping!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    OMG!  How cool and exciting!  Please let us know how it goes.
  • Options

imagewille2b:
    Yes  im alreading in the middle of it and today i start pumping!

Awesome! What process did you use? I'd love to hear all about it.

• Options

Good for you! How exciting!  I have debated about this in my own mind....  I'd love the experience of breast feeding, but I'm also afraid of it being a ton of effort and then having it not work.  

Is your insurance paying for the meds or is that out of pocket? That would be another worry, especially with the cost of a pump as well. I doubt insurance would pay for a pump for an adoptive mother....

I'm hoping perhaps I can get some donated milk from friends to at least give my baby the benefits of breastmilk for a few weeks.

Experienced infertility during first marriage, diagnosed with PCOS in 2008.
    Married my amazing husband May 22, 2010
    Became Step-Mom to 2 boys.
    Husband had vasectomy in 2004 during first marriage.

Adoption Is Our Path!
    Application sent March 29, 2011 First Meeting with CW: April 25, 2011 Final Visit and home visit: August 16, 2011
    September, 2011 - told we are ready to be considered by birth parents. Officially WAITING!

Spring of 2012, we start to work with a Consultant and apply with a few agencies around the US

June 2012 - we are MATCHED
    July 25, 2012 - Our SON was born in Arizona
    August 8th, 2012 - we flew home with our baby
    Awaiting Finalization

My Blog
  • Options
    YAY!! I am so glad you are all doing this!!! It is my plan too :)  You just gave me the encouragement I needed to set an appointment with my doctor!
    June 2010-Lap
    b2b Injectable IUI #1 7/25/10 & 7/26/10 = BFP beta 14dpIUI = 133 MC 9/14 at 9 weeks
    b2b Injectable IUI #2 12/5/10 & 12/6/10 = BFN
    IVF #1 ER 3/28/11 ET 3 embryos 3/31/11= BFN
    b2b Injectable IUI#3 6/28/11 & 6/29/11 = BFN
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome :)

Submitted Adoption Application on 6/1/2011
    Homestudy 7/19/2011
    IVF#2 CX due to Adoption Match
    We were blessed with our daughter through the gift of adoption
    IVF #2.1 ET 2 embryos 2/14/13 7 frostiesLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    image2ndTimeEpiphany:

Good for you! How exciting!  I have debated about this in my own mind....  I'd love the experience of breast feeding, but I'm also afraid of it being a ton of effort and then having it not work.  

Is your insurance paying for the meds or is that out of pocket? That would be another worry, especially with the cost of a pump as well. I doubt insurance would pay for a pump for an adoptive mother....

I'm hoping perhaps I can get some donated milk from friends to at least give my baby the benefits of breastmilk for a few weeks.

Well, the medications I'll be taking are the birth control pill (full strength) which, yes, is covered under my insurance. I will also be taking Domperidone which my doctor wrote me a prescription for, but she said I would need to do the leg work to find a pharmacy who would fill it for me because it's not FDA approved for breastfeeding purposes. She, herself, took it to increase her milk supply and she told me I could go online and find it from England without needing a prescription (which I had actually already done because I assumed I wouldn't get a script from her since I would be taking the drug for the side effect {lactation} and not its intended purpose {regulating bowel movements}). So, I paid $130 online for those meds but it was a bottle of 900 or 1200, can't remember which I ordered.  So it should last me several months.

I won't start taking the herbs, fenugreek and blessed thistle, until I'm pumping so it's not an expense that's needed at the moment.  So for now, the only expense has been the $130 because when I pick up the BCP at my pharmacy it will probably only be $2-3.

The pump *is* a big expense, but I'm planning to purchase rather than rent because I hope it's something I'm able to do for more than one adopted child. I'm going into this with realistic expectations, but also with 100% commitment and I'm choosing not to worry about the what-ifs since soooo much involved with adoption is what-if.  

You can also resell your pump and make back some of the money if it doesn't work out.  I've looked on eBay at the Medela Pump in Style and have found a range of prices and both used and new, so I think I'll be looking there for a bargain over the next few months before I need to start the pumping process. It's also sold at Bed Bath and Beyond and you can use a 20% off coupon.

• Options

One of the websites that I heard about for being resonable and trustworthy is :inhousepharmacy [dot] biz

I am so excited about the number of us who are planning or in the process of inducing lactation.

• Options
    imageJoe'sSweetPea:

One of the websites that I heard about for being resonable and trustworthy is :inhousepharmacy [dot] biz

I am so excited about the number of us who are planning or in the process of inducing lactation.

That is the website that I used. It was recommended by several girls on other boards who have used it successfully (both the website & the Dom). I felt comfortable giving it a shot.

• Options
    imageboxermama24:
    image2ndTimeEpiphany:

Well, the medications I'll be taking are the birth control pill (full strength) which, yes, is covered under my insurance. I will also be taking Domperidone which my doctor wrote me a prescription for, but she said I would need to do the leg work to find a pharmacy who would fill it for me because it's not FDA approved for breastfeeding purposes. She, herself, took it to increase her milk supply and she told me I could go online and find it from England without needing a prescription (which I had actually already done because I assumed I wouldn't get a script from her since I would be taking the drug for the side effect {lactation} and not its intended purpose {regulating bowel movements}). So, I paid $130 online for those meds but it was a bottle of 900 or 1200, can't remember which I ordered.  So it should last me several months.

I won't start taking the herbs, fenugreek and blessed thistle, until I'm pumping so it's not an expense that's needed at the moment.  So for now, the only expense has been the $130 because when I pick up the BCP at my pharmacy it will probably only be $2-3.

The pump *is* a big expense, but I'm planning to purchase rather than rent because I hope it's something I'm able to do for more than one adopted child. I'm going into this with realistic expectations, but also with 100% commitment and I'm choosing not to worry about the what-ifs since soooo much involved with adoption is what-if.  

You can also resell your pump and make back some of the money if it doesn't work out.  I've looked on eBay at the Medela Pump in Style and have found a range of prices and both used and new, so I think I'll be looking there for a bargain over the next few months before I need to start the pumping process. It's also sold at Bed Bath and Beyond and you can use a 20% off coupon.

I just like to browse this board from time to time (I have always wanted to adopt) and I just want to tell you how awesome it is that you are going to BF your baby.  That is truly amazing!

Just want to give you a head's up about a pump - if you plan on buying a used one or reselling, try to purchase a closed-system pump.  I think the Medela pumps are an open system (basically the milk can get into the motor because there is no barrier between where the milk is collected from and where the tubing goes in.) The only closed Medela pump is the Symphony, which is about $1300 new! YIKES!

The Ameda Purely yours is a closed system pump, and so it would be safe to buy second hand and also sell....there is also a Hygenia pump which is sanitary for multiple users.

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageBeetleLinz1125:
    imageboxermama24:
    image2ndTimeEpiphany:

I just like to browse this board from time to time (I have always wanted to adopt) and I just want to tell you how awesome it is that you are going to BF your baby.  That is truly amazing!

Just want to give you a head's up about a pump - if you plan on buying a used one or reselling, try to purchase a closed-system pump.  I think the Medela pumps are an open system (basically the milk can get into the motor because there is no barrier between where the milk is collected from and where the tubing goes in.) The only closed Medela pump is the Symphony, which is about $1300 new! YIKES!

The Ameda Purely yours is a closed system pump, and so it would be safe to buy second hand and also sell....there is also a Hygenia pump which is sanitary for multiple users.

I am also planning on inducing lactation (relactating in my case), and I agree with the closed-system. I have an In Style, and it's fine for occasionally, but it can't be resold and CAN have issues with the milk getting into the tubes... Which would be a pain if you had to pump every few hours. When I'm ready to start pumping I will be buying a new one for sure.

I'm curious-- To those of you planning to induce using pumping, how often will you be doing it? Will you pump every few hours 24/7 or only a couple times at night or take nights off? I've been going back and forth on the logistics of how I want to do that.

~Julie image Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"