Baby Showers
Options

Question

This is my second pregnancy But I never had a baby shower with number 1. Now friends are asking if they can throw me a baby shower for number 2 because the first was a girl and we have nothing for a boy. I keep saying I will think about it but I dont want to sound greedy if they throw a shower for the little boy because he isnt my first. Any advice?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question

• Options

I think that if friends really want to throw you a shower then go for it.

Since you didn't have a shower the first time it's not like people are thinking "another shower, another gift".

I don't think showers for a second baby are tacky. I think showers for seperate babies are tacky.

• Options
    imageHappily Overwhelmed:

I don't think showers for a second baby are tacky. I think showers for seperate babies are tacky.

this exactly

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If friends want to throw one for you and the baby~~ GO FOR IT!! Those are great friends!
  • Options
    imagee_cruiz:

this exactly

Um, what does this even mean? Do you think showers for anything other than Siamese twins are tacky?

• Options
    imageJim&Jaime:
    imagee_cruiz:

this exactly

Um, what does this even mean? Do you think showers for anything other than Siamese twins are tacky?

Confused

Let me rephrase for those looking to be bitchy.... I think showers for every child you have are tacky.

• Options
    imageJim&Jaime:
    imagee_cruiz:

this exactly

Confused

Let me rephrase for those looking to be bitchy.... I think showers for every child you have are tacky.

She wasn't looking to be bitchy, you're phrasing is just really weird.

• Options

I don't see a problem with your friends hosting a shower for you at this point.  No one will have gone to a shower for you and you most likely have new friends anyway.  Showers are supposed to be for first time mothers...but since you didn't have one when you were first a mother...then ehh.

BTW...I understood what the pp was saying and agree..".I don't think showers for a second baby are tacky.  I think showers for separate babies are tacky."   IMO the reference to Siamese twins was tacky.

• Options
    imagerhubarb123:

I don't see a problem with your friends hosting a shower for you at this point.  No one will have gone to a shower for you and you most likely have new friends anyway.  Showers are supposed to be for first time mothers...but since you didn't have one when you were first a mother...then ehh.

BTW...I understood what the pp was saying and agree..".I don't think showers for a second baby are tacky.  I think showers for separate babies are tacky."   IMO the reference to Siamese twins was tacky.

I agree, Happily Overwhelmed, I knew exactly what you meant.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options

If friends want to give you one and you're happy with it, let them.  It isn't as though you asked for one.  I didn't understand the confusing phrasing either but I get it now that it was explained clearly.  I disagree with it though.  In my family and circle of friends every pregnancy and baby is celebrated; the seperate ones aren't any less special than the first one.  It's not all about the gifts; we just like to come together for a special event.  It's common for every woman to have a shower, usually more than one, for every pregnancy. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagerhubarb123:

This.  I'm sorry the phrasing required a few extra seconds of processing on your part, but you're a tool w/the Siamese Twins comment.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    Sorry didnt mean to start a fight in between the ladies here. But I talked to my friends this morning giving them the go ahead and now I have the 'joys' of putting together a registry lol. Maybe if I am lucky they will all pitch in and help me with my purchase of a double stroller. I am sure the baby boy will survive a pink carseat so there are no worries there :p Where should I register at? tried target but there page is always down :(
  • Options
    imagecottonlily84:

If friends want to give you one and you're happy with it, let them.  It isn't as though you asked for one.  I didn't understand the confusing phrasing either but I get it now that it was explained clearly.  I disagree with it though.  In my family and circle of friends every pregnancy and baby is celebrated; the seperate ones aren't any less special than the first one.  It's not all about the gifts; we just like to come together for a special event.  It's common for every woman to have a shower, usually more than one, for every pregnancy. 

1- No one is saying not to celebrate any and every baby; just don't call it a shower everytime.  

2- It is, in fact, about the gifts when it's called a shower- it's meant to SHOWER the new parents with the essentials needed for their 1st child- after you've been through it before, it's assumed that you have what you need.  You shouldn't need to be SHOWERED again.  If you bought/registered for all gender-specific items the first time around, that does not entitle you to more gifts.

3- It actually ISN'T common for every woman to have a shower, or more than one, for every pregnancy.  If it was, this would not be such a reoccurring trend on this board. 

• Options
    I say have it! Now, I know some ladies that have had a shower for 3rd baby WHEN they had one for first and/or second...  I dont think that is right..but since you didn't have one and friends want to give u one..enjoy!
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageantoinettebrant:
    If friends want to throw one for you and the baby~~ GO FOR IT!! Those are great friends!

this :)

• Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with having a baby shower whether it's your first, second, whatever.  It's a time that friends and family can celebrate another life.  A child is a gift and if your friends want to celebrate with you then let em.  Doesn't matter that the gender is different either.  I say party on and enjoy it.
  • Options

When is the line drawn?

Example...

My friend has an 8 year old. She wants another child, let's say they have another baby in 2 years. Would it be tacky for her to have another baby shower? She has nothing for a baby.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"