Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

I have a HUGE amount of respect for Moms of multiples...

Today I started watching a friend's little girl (JuJu) for 10ish hours per day, 2-3 times per week.  She's just turned two and has as much energy and spunk as Curly.  They play really well together, but she's also an only child, so I heard lots of MINE MINE MINE!! today.  I am exhausted and had a hard time keeping up with two very active toddlers.  Moms of multiples, you have my respect!!!

I had a hard time coming up with enough activities to keep them busy for so long.  We colored, read books, went to story time and the park, played with the dog, listened to music and banged on pots, played with Legos, etc, etc.  I even let them watch an episode of Blues Clues at the end of the day because I was so drained on energy and ideas.

Can you share some ideas for me to keep two sweet, but very energetic toddlers busy for 10 hours per day?  Curly's attention only lasts for about 5 minutes per activity, if that, but JuJu's attention lasts a bit longer than that.

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I have a HUGE amount of respect for Moms of multiples...

• Hehe. Now imagine all of the people who work in child care centers, too :) People underestimate how exhausting it is working with 2-4 toddlers for 10 hours a day.

What I do with my toddlers is tons of sensory activities (give them rice, dry pasta, cheerios etc and measuring spoons)...dancing, finger paints...and if you want a little break just give them toys and they can play alone for a bit provided the room is big enough (and you have enough toys haha). Just being outside and having lunch and a nap after usually takes a big chunk of time out of the day, too. Good luck! 

• Sounds like you have a great selection!  I'm not sure if you have Comcast, but OnDemand, they have exercise for toddlers.  Sometimes I will do a yoga video with my toddler, he loves it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It sounds like your doing all the same kind of stuff we do along with the PP. Mine grew up together so they have always played together. JuJu and Curly just started "hanging out" so it may take some time but my kids love to entertain each other (at least for brief periods during the day). They run up and down the hall playing tag and so on.This makes it much easier on me because I don't have to be involved completely in ALL of their projects lol.

Some other things to try: books (the card board type with lots of pictures), run around playing tag, playing with balls (mine are obsessed with balls right now), Let them finger-paint on the table with pudding (messy but fun), going out in the yard and playing, dance parties (look up the "gummy bear song" on youtube), and things like that.You might also see about joining a moms group in your area. They usually do some really fun playdates a couple of times a month.

We have a solid routine we follow as far as timing for naps, snacks, and meals so they know to expect. We had to do this from day one with them, which I never had to do with my singletons. Might be something to think about though. I know daycares do specific routines as well and it really cuts down on the tantrums and other negative behavior.

Good luck!

• Thanks. :) It is exhausting! And even though my kids have had to share since conception, I still hear, "MINE!" all day.

There are some great toddler activity blogs out there; don't have the links right now but you can google them. The toddler busy book is good, too. Personally I go to the Y for an hour or so most mornings. Good to get out of the house, get some exercise in and a little time away from the boys. Or I do errands, a play date, playground, library etc. My days are pretty much like yours. Outside time, inside time, nap time, meals, snacks, coloring, books, Legos, etc.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Thanks for the advice.  Day 2 is better so far, except that Curly isn't feeling very well.  He slept until I finally got him up at 9:30, but then when I gave him his first bite of oatmeal, he threw up!  I don't know if he just gagged on it, or what, but he didn't eat much after that.  He did eat a LOT for lunch, but was just grumpy all morning.  He's been asleep for an hour now and JuJu is playing quietly on the floor (she doesn't nap, darn it!).

I think I may brave the grocery store later this afternoon, depending on how Curly is feeling.

Any other ideas you have would be really appreciated!  Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"