Military Families
Options

Volunteering to PCS

Hi ladies. I rarely post on here, but am thinking that I should start, it seems like a great place to connect with other Military wives! :)

My husband has been stationed at McChord AFB for the last 7 years, it's the only place he's ever been stationed at, and also where we met. He is just about to reenlist again, so we have volunteered to PCS to McGuire AFB or for him to take a job in Papa, Hungary for 2 years. We should be finding out which one he will get in the next few weeks.

Since I have never gone through a military move, any tips or advice? Anyone know anything about either of the two locations? Thanks so much! :)

Re: Volunteering to PCS

• Options

As far as my exprience with a military move its pretty simple. A moving company will come and pack up all of your stuff. Yup, everything! You don't have to pack a single box. (Just don't forget to take your trash out of the trash bin in your kitchen because they will pack that too). My move of household goods took about 3 weeks and I was moving from Maryland to Alaska. The moving company will ship to your new household and unpack everything for you as well if you so wish.

The best part, everything is on the military expense! You don't have to pay for the move, shipment of one vehicle, or your flight arrangments! Yeah, everything takes a little while to get to your new home but it is really easy.

Best of wishes!

• Options
    I have been through only one move and we did a DITY move.  I am from Northern NJ and but my mother moved near McGuire AFB a while back.  I would say it is a nice area and very family friendly.  There are tons of things to do and great festivals to attend.  Good Luck either way.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am at McGuire!! I actually love it here. It is a large base with lots to do. The base itself is a bit far from things as most are.  I live off base and closer to stores.  Please don't hesitate to ask me anything.  We have been here for 5 years. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Wait, will you be able to go to Hungary with him? If so that'd be amazing!
    10Jul2010
  • Options
    We have some friends that have been at McGuire for 6 months and they love it, too! They live on base and are encouraging us to do the same. Any suggestions on where to live off base?
  • Options

imageTmmeans07:
    Wait, will you be able to go to Hungary with him? If so that'd be amazing!

Yes, we would be able to go with him. We have really wanted to take of advantage of that oppurtunity to spend a couple years overseas. We will see! :)

• Options

imageDoylesa:
    We have some friends that have been at McGuire for 6 months and they love it, too! They live on base and are encouraging us to do the same. Any suggestions on where to live off base?

I live in Toms River which is close to the beach but far from everything we do base and on base friends.  If I had it to do over again I would choose Mt Holly area.  It's not far from base and close to stores you will use.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"