March 2012 Moms

Nutrition help (long post, sorry!)

So I went to my 13 week appointment today and come to find out, I'm down 2 pounds from my last appointment...My doctor understood the reasons why (between the nausea, my Bradley class exercises, and going back to work) but stressed that she expected to see me gain a pound a week from now on.

My concern is that my activity level is only increasing (the Bradley exercises get more involved the further on you go and I have also started walking back at the gym a few days a week to get my lung capacity and stamina up to where it needs to be for labor) and I have no idea how many calories I'm burning! I know I need to eat more, but how much more?!?

My question is this: is there a way to find out how many calories your body is burning each day? I know once I have that info I can adjust the amount I'm eating to make sure I gain, not lose. I just don't want to gain too much because I'm at a high risk for diabetes and was a little on the pudgy side to begin with...I'm just so scared of starving the baby :-(

Re: Nutrition help (long post, sorry!)

• https://www.bodybugg.com/

Your body only needs about 300 extra calories a day when pregnant

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have used the Lance Armstrong Livestrong website in the past.  They have a feature called My Plate where you put in what you eat and what your activity is and it calculates everything for you.  It also tells you what percentage of your diet is protein, fat, carbs, sodium, etc.  I really liked it. You could put in "I want to gain a pound a week"  and it will tell you how many calories you need to eat after you exercise. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you! I'm going to look into that right now :) I don't want to be in any trouble at my next appointment so I have 5 pounds to gain! Hopefully that will do it :)
  • Haven't used it for a while, but there's a website called Sparkpeople that helps you track nutrition and exercise (I think including calories burned by activity). I think there's a mobile app if that's helpful to you. Good luck!
  • If you are eating well balanced meals I wouldn't worry too much you baby will take the nutrients that is needs, you will suffer far far far before the baby.  Just eat snacks throughout your day that are varied.  I think many woman, especially if they have weight to lose, do lose weight while pregnant.  I have a friend who in fact ended up 20 lbs below her pregnancy weight when she delivered.  Her doctor wasn't worried she was eating ~2200 calories a day and had cut out fast food and junk so she lost a ton but if you are feeding you body better its not bad.  I still am 3 lbs down, no weight gain.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekiarstin:
    If you are eating well balanced meals I wouldn't worry too much you baby will take the nutrients that is needs, you will suffer far far far before the baby.  Just eat snacks throughout your day that are varied.  I think many woman, especially if they have weight to lose, do lose weight while pregnant.  I have a friend who in fact ended up 20 lbs below her pregnancy weight when she delivered.  Her doctor wasn't worried she was eating ~2200 calories a day and had cut out fast food and junk so she lost a ton but if you are feeding you body better its not bad.  I still am 3 lbs down, no weight gain.

I agree with this.  I lost 3 lbs during the first try and in the second tri and 3rd tri only gained about 1-2 lbs per month.  I actually lost 2 lbs over thanksgiving (in the 3rd trimester) and my dr was never worried.  I did have one month that I gained 5 lbs.  I ended up 10 lbs less then my pre-pregnancy weight.  But I had the 10 lbs to lose.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"