Babies: 9 - 12 Months

If you've seen a pediatric cardiologist

What do I expect? DD's pediatrician referred us to a cardiologist for a possible heart murmur and our appointment is next week. Any information is appreciated.
i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.

Re: If you've seen a pediatric cardiologist

• At the first appointment, they will probably get your LO's history, review symptoms and do a quick exam. From there I imagine they'll either order a echocardiogram (basically an ultra-sound) or a have her wear a monitor to detect abnormalities. 

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We went for a heart murmur a few weeks ago

He got a regular check up - height, weight, temp, blood pressure, etc...

The doctor came in and listened to his heart, explained that he thought it was nothing more than its own unusual rhythm but, as a precaution put him on the EKG for a closer look. He got a lot of sticker put on him, they watched the screen and determined the murmur was completely benign.

We gave it a lot of worry, but DS was perfectly fine.

Do take plenty of toys and snacks, as we waited for a while before the doctor came in.

Good luck!

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Usually they go over your history, listen to the heart, and do an EKG.  Possibly they may do an echo but not at every visit.  If they detect a murmur they monitor it. Most murmurs go away by 1 year and another 20% by 4 years old.  If they identify a murmur then they will let you know the follow up time such as 3 months or 6 months so they can see if it is closing if it is a hole in the heart. There are several different types of murmurs so it will depends on the kind as well.  

ETA- bring a bottle for the EKG. Its hard to keep them still for it. 

• Thanks everyone. I am trying not to be worried about it because it wasn't mentioned until her 9 month appointment and the doctor wasn't even very sure. I will make sure I bring stuff to keep her entertained.
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • My son doesn't have a murmur, but we've been in to see a cardiologist several times for another issue. The way it goes at our appointments is we first see a nurse to get weighed, measured, get blood pressure, pulse ox (the amount of oxygen in the blood) and pulse taken, then an EKG. A light up musical toy that your baby's never seen before helps this go quicker, but it's not a big deal and doesn't hurt at all. They get information on his meds and how he's doing, then they take us to a room to see the doctor. The doctor listens to his heart, asks us questions and answers ours, then makes adjustments to his meds and usually orders blood work and a holter monitor (a portable heart monitor that he wears for 24 hours).

The whole process usually takes about 2 hours, even though the actual doctor visit is only about 15 minutes, so I definitely agree with the poster who said bring toys and snacks. It's much longer than a typical pedi visit. I'd add that you should get a small bottle of baby oil if they do an EKG or a holter to get the stickiness from the stickers off the skin. It helps getting them off without hurting, too.

Good luck! I hope it's completely benign!

• When my LO was born they heard a murmur and referred us to a pediatric cardiologist.  They did a chest X-ray, and EKG, and an echo, and have done the same every time we've been back.  Plus weight, blood pressure, etc. We actually go back to the cardio later this month for the same battery of tests.   It turns out the murmer was caused by holes in her heart. 

• my LO was referred too. she has a heart murmur called PDA. the doc was very kind and understanding. they got her height weight and then did ekg and sonogram. then there was a second visit same thing only at the end he said ok so we'll see her at the hospital at this time/date and everything will be as if it never was even there. and that day came and they took my 6 month old baby girl to the operating room and through her groin inserted a device that will be there for the rest of her life. shes now almost 10 months old and perfectly fine! the scar on her leg is shorter than the width of the tip of my pinky and very faded. we have a follow up on her first birthday but were at the pedi today for 9month and she heard only good things in there!!! best of luck to you and your family during this time...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't really have anything to add.  Just wanted to say best of luck, hopefully it's nothing!  If you have any questions about anything that happens feel free to ask, we have spent lots of time with our cardiologist.
    Birthday
  • imageimeltice:
    I don't really have anything to add.  Just wanted to say best of luck, hopefully it's nothing!  If you have any questions about anything that happens feel free to ask, we have spent lots of time with our cardiologist.

Thank you so much! Looks like our babies have the same birthday. Did you get to enjoy your Thanksgiving last year?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"