Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Is your 1 year old completely off the bottle?

Mine isn't, and I feel really awful about it! Trying to get it down to no more than 2 a day, and nothing right before bed. He doesn't want milk in a sippie cup.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is your 1 year old completely off the bottle?

• Options
    She is, but I'm lucky because she doesn't care how she gets milk and wasn't too attached to the bottle. I'd stick to it and just go cold turkey.

Baby #3 is on the way! EDD  3/8/15
    DD1--8/29/10
    DD2--11/6/12

• Options
    Yes, I had to just do it cold turkey. The slow transition was not a good idea for us.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD was taking both sipply cups and bottles up until 16 months until we cut out the bottles cold turkey.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    My husband is the one who likes to just give him bottles anytime he seems fussy. He doesn't see what the rush is all about, ugh.
  • Options
    DD still gets a bottle before bedtime.  It's the ONLY time she'll let me hold her so I'm holding onto that last bottle feed!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • Options

LOL, Bellelsa! Well, he's teething and turned food away for the most part last week, so I gave him bottles more often. 2 molars, ouch!

I'll check back later, gotta get him off to his doctor appt for shots. 

• Options
    Your LO is still young. :) We introduced straw sippies when my boys were exactly your LO's age (they never really took to spout sippies). After a week, they were drinking well out of them so we dropped bottles cold turkey. Alex didn't bat an eyelash. Will protested for 2 days and then was fine.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options

She wasn't off at 12 months but is off completely now. I want to say she was off the bottle by 13 months? I was stressed about it but she get super cranky and only want a bottle in the evenings. We found one sippy that she would tolerate in place of the bottle and weaned from there.

GL and try not to stress too much.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    DD dropped bottles at 11 months, but DS kept them until he was 15 months.  Don't worry about it.  When they're ready, they're ready.  We tried with DS right after his 1st birthday and it was awful, so we gave up and tried again at 15 months.  By then it was no big deal at all.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    DD got her last bottle the day before her 1st Birthday. I had already been giving her milk from sippies for a few months but kept giving her a bottle before bed until she was 1. So no more bottles, but we do give her milk before bedtime in a sippy.
  • Options
    At 1 DS was not off the bottle, he had a morning one and a bedtime one but by 13 months he was only having a bedtime one and by 14months he was completely off. This was a slow process, he wasnt drinking all his bottle so i once he got to where he was only drinking 3-4 oz i just gave him a cup with milk and got rid of the bottle. DS was very picky to what sippys he drank milk out of though...he loved his bottle!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    C is fighting it. He'll drink milk out of the soft-tipped Nuk sippie if we hold him exactly like we're feeding him a bottle. But he will not take milk sitting or walking around on his own, and will not accept it in a spout or straw sippy. He's starting to take water from a straw sippy. I'm planning to try one or two more sippy brands to see if anything clicks, and if it doesn't then it will be a cold turkey approach. I imagine it won't go over very well...I'm aiming that we'll be off the bottle at 14mos/end of Oct.
  • Options
    No, I tried the day after her birthday but it was a screamfest.  The pedi said there really isn't a huge rush, so we are back on 3 bottles/day morning, afternoon, and before bed.  She takes water from a sippy great, but is not interested in taking milk that way.  It's not a big deal to me, I enjoy feeding her bottles.  I feel like she is growing up so fast anyway that I don't need to push her into something until she is ready, KWIM?
  • Options

Yes, he has been taking a straw cup since around 8 1/2 months.

ETA: My daughter refused a sippy (we started them at 4 months too!), so she was on the bottle until around 14-15 months. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageAML84:
    My husband is the one who likes to just give him bottles anytime he seems fussy. He doesn't see what the rush is all about, ugh.

This is my DH too! She won't take a bottle from me so he looooves to give her a bottle. 

• Options

We did cold turkey and he was only fussy for about 2-3 days! And honestly the battle of the bottle was not as hard as say... the pacifier... or even potty training.

He cried, he tantrumed, he THREW the sippy cups, eventually he got thirsty and drank. One thing we did do to help the transition was purchase the nuby 6 month sippys because the nipple looks and feels more like a nipple.

He's now 1 year and 2 months and we've LOST all the 6 month nuby sippys and he's alive and could care less how he gets his milk... just as long as he gets it! ha!

...now for the battle of the paci and toilet! EEEEKKK!

• Options
    No, I give him one bottle at night before bed and I don't feel bad about it because the bump is so much more hard core about stuff than anyone IRL.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Both of mine were completely off of the bottle by a year old because I never gave either of them whole milk in a bottle, only in a sippy.  Don't feel awful, just offer milk in a sippy only, not in a bottle.  I think its confusing to LO's when they expect it to be in a bottle and then sometimes you hand it to them in a sippy. It's got to be one or the other.

• Options
    Try giving him milk only in a sippy cup and water in his bottle. My 1st dd had a terrible time giving it up, we finally went cold turkey when she was 2. My second dd was fine with it. She whined a little bit more than usual for the first two days, but after that she didn't seem to miss it.
  • Options
    DD was off the bottle completely by 13 months.  My pedi said at the latest 15 months.  Don't worry about it if your LO isn't off the bottle by 12 months.  That seems kind of early to start stressing over it.  GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I tossed them, cold turkey at 9 1/2 months. I just always hated them. DS did fine after a day.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• Options
    Nope, and I don't feel bad about it either. She does sippy cups too with juice and water. I will switch her when I feel she is ready - it dosnt seem like it should be this big issue to me.
  • Options
    DDs been off bottles since about 13.5 months. We switched the middle of the day sippies first and then just cold turkey switched the morning and night bottles. She didn't even bat an eye. As long as the milk is warm she'll drink it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"