January 2012 Moms

The Dr/nurse will totally side eye me....

Everytime I watch a baby story.. or anything baby being born related and they hand the baby to the mom all white and goopy, i cringe just a little bit! Maybe it will be different when its my little bundle of goopy joy, but I just see myself being like uhh could you wipe her down first? How horrible does that make me?! i fully expect the side eye here!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: The Dr/nurse will totally side eye me....

• It is different when it is your own is all I can say. When your moment comes you will find nothing, even the nasty afterbirth, matters at all. All you want to do is hold your baby in your arms.Smile
    Rachel, mama to Ava (6), Olivia (4), Nora (2), and baby#4 on the way.

• Nah, I think the white gunk seems gross, too -- but I'm assuming when it's my own child I won't care at all. At least, I'm hoping...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • you will just be so glad the pushing was finally over that you won't even care about goop.  Besides, you will have already pooped yourself so which is worse?  :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageDEBBIE33CASEY:
    you will just be so glad the pushing was finally over that you won't even care about goop.  Besides, you will have already pooped yourself so which is worse?  :)

HAHA! DONT REMIND ME!!! lol jk, seriously im terrified of that!  

• imagelittlemonster417:

imageDEBBIE33CASEY:
    you will just be so glad the pushing was finally over that you won't even care about goop.  Besides, you will have already pooped yourself so which is worse?  :)

HAHA! DONT REMIND ME!!! lol jk, seriously im terrified of that!  

haha better get used to the idea. You'll probably push it out several times (and by IT i don't mean your dear child).

Just avoid any corn too close to delivery :)  I love corn but won't eat it after 37 weeks in order to save face...

• This pic was within minutes of my son being born, he still had all the gooey white stuff all over his forehead and I couldn't stop breathing him in and kissing him. When it's your own it's completely different- this pic still melts my heart.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageWaiting4myJulyBaby:

This pic was within minutes of my son being born, he still had all the gooey white stuff all over his forehead and I couldn't stop breathing him in and kissing him. When it's your own it's completely different- this pic still melts my heart.

that ducky hospital bracelet is adorable.  I can't wait to hold my squishy slimey newborn now :)
  • Hahaha I'm sure it's different when it's your own. DS had issues with his heart rate so they had to check him in the room and clean him off before giving him to me. I remember the nurse asking me beforehand if I wanted him right away, or if I wanted them to clean him off first. So obviously wanting the baby cleaned first is not uncommon!
  • I side eye you.  ;-)  It totally doesn't matter when it's your own and you've gone through labor.  I pooed on the table (I didn't know, DH told me).  DS pooed on me as they were handing him to me.  (All over my leg.)  And then he was wiped down while on me and then later when he got weighed. 
  • imageDEBBIE33CASEY:

Yep. Totally this. I wanted to cry when that happened but just reminded myself that all those people have seen it all.

Rachel, mama to Ava (6), Olivia (4), Nora (2), and baby#4 on the way.

• I don't have a kid of my own yet, but I think there's a chance you won't care. Also, they say that bonding is especially important right after birth, so there are some benefits to dealing with the goop. :D No judgment though! Do what you need to do!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No side eye from me, I say/think the same exact thing every time I watch that show. I was laughing hysterically while reading this and DH asked what was so funny so I read it to him and his response was "So it's just going to be a big giant poop fest? Baby, I can't be in there and watch you poop." Oh men!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyName Ticker
  • Totally different when it's your own... DH and I honestly didn't even notice how covered DS was until we looked at the pictures from the delivery room and remembered the nurses commenting on how much "goop" he had on him (they attributed it to him being born at 39w?  No idea if that's true or not, but whatever).

As for the *other* topic mentioned in here - just remember it happens to most everyone during pushing.  Seems humiliating until you're in the midst of labor, and then you suddenly realize that none of it really matters b/c hey, by the time that baby pops out, it seems like you've let the world see it all anyway (or maybe that's just me being modest). Stick out tongue

• Ok, I'm about to walk into the lion's den and have my head snapped off, but these are MY experiences and MY feeling on it. With my first, I felt the same way about not wanting a goopy "gross" baby on me. And I was glad that they quickly took him away to check on him (because of the use of vacuum) and had a chance to take off the initial mess before he was pout on me. They aren't gone that long to ruin bonding....no worries there.

With my second, they just plopped her right on me as she came out and sadly, my first thought was how hot and nasty it felt. It did not in any way reduce my bonding with her either and I loved her nonetheless, goop, slime and all, but nasty...that was my first thought. lol 

• imagemjay79:

Ok, I'm about to walk into the lion's den and have my head snapped off, but these are MY experiences and MY feeling on it. With my first, I felt the same way about not wanting a goopy "gross" baby on me. And I was glad that they quickly took him away to check on him (because of the use of vacuum) and had a chance to take off the initial mess before he was pout on me. They aren't gone that long to ruin bonding....no worries there.

With my second, they just plopped her right on me as she came out and sadly, my first thought was how hot and nasty it felt. It did not in any way reduce my bonding with her either and I loved her nonetheless, goop, slime and all, but nasty...that was my first thought. lol 

Thank you for your honesty!!!

PS I loved all the responses on this topic :)

• imageDEBBIE33CASEY:

Just avoid any corn too close to delivery :)  I love corn but won't eat it after 37 weeks in order to save face...

This seriously just made me LOL really hard. My coworker looked at me strangely. The thought of corn had not been on my mind before but it certainly will now.Ick!

I agree with the sentiments of most of the ladies on here, the goop is pretty ick. In fact when I was reading to DH the weekly growth of the LO and I got to the part about the white cheesy vernix coating, I kinda just skipped over it because I figured it would gross him out. But I can totally see how I won't care in the slightest when its mine, I'll just want to hold my baby so bad!

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Not sure how I'll feel about it by the time it comes around.  I'm sure I'll be too tired to care about a little "goop and poop" Wink
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My story is a little different, I always watched those show and thought it was so gross too! Now after having had my c-section where they took my son away from me for 45 minutes after he was born, I want more than anything to hold my baby as soon as they come out! For me personally, the only thing I wanted to was to hold him, all gooped up or not! Even if they do take your baby and clean it up a little you will still get to hold your LO much more quickly than a c-section mama does, so I think you're lucky there!!
  • It will be the last thing on your mind after you hear those first sweet cries and see that face for the first time!
  • i don't mind holding a baby full of after birth, but have you noticed how many times the nurse will stick the goopy baby in the mom's face and tell her to kiss it? LOL i don't think i could do that...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"