June 2011 Moms
Options

Clogged milk duct??

I pump at work during the day and when I got to my parent's house to pick up DS he wanted to eat so I felt my boobs to see which felt fuller to feed him from. When I felt my left breast I felt a lump which freaked me out! Then I realized it had been almost 4 hours since I had pumped so I thought maybe after he ate the lump would go away. Well DS fell asleep before he nursed so we came home and I decided to pump that side. The lump is still there after pumping and it hurts when I touch it... is this a clogged milk duct??

Help!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Clogged milk duct??

• Options
    It may be. Try massaging it to work it out. That always worked for me, especially if I caught it early.
  • Options

I *think* I had one once, it was a tender, hard spot. Everything I read said to treat it very aggressively. Like PP said, massage helps, I did it in the shower especially. I also put a warm compress on before DD nursed on that side, and I also offered that side first so she would suck more aggressively. If you google it or look on kellymom there are lots more suggestions of what to try. 

Doing all that I think it was gone within 24 hours.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    This happened to me two days ago! It was so painful to bf and I was thinking of calling it quits but i had S eat on that side everytime. Massage while feeding and face your DSs chin in line with the lump so he can suck it out. I also put a heating pad on the spot as much as possible! I feel your pain, it sucks!!!
  • Options
    That's what it sounds like. I've had two, and the first one went away in 2 days, but the second one stayed for almost a week, which totally sucked. Wet heat worked the best for me. If you have a waterproof heating pad, wet a washcloth, put it on the spot, then hold the heating pad on top of it for 15 minutes, then nurse. (Or pump, but nursing is better). If you get a fever, call your dr. because that's probably mastitis.
    Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"