Baby Showers
Options

Thank you note question. My sorority is having a shower for me next week.

Do I send a thank you  note to everyone who attends, or just one to the whole sorority to thank all of them at once?
image image Siggy Challange: Before and After 2 Days old Image and video hosting by TinyPic Almost 9 Months Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Thank you note question. My sorority is having a shower for me next week.

• Options

I would day it depends on whether or not they all give you seperate gifts, or one big gift as a group.

Seperate gifts should be acknowledged individually.

Overall, it would be a nice gesture to send a "thank you for hosting" note to the soroity as a whole (since they probably all contributed in some way), in addition to seperate thank you notes for gift

"If every word I said, could make you laugh - I'd talk forever".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would send out a thank you to each person.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Each person, even if there are joint gifts.  I work in a department of 14 people and we always chip in for a large gift for one another's special occasions, but everyone always gets their own thank you.
  • Options
    Q for people stating everyone should get a thank you: have you been in a sororitty before...? Mine had over 100 people in it.  Working with 14 people is entirely different. If OP's is anything that large, I don't think she should have to write an individual thank you to each person unless she got 100 seperate gifts. If each girl just threw in 5 bucks for food + gift, I think its fine to write a thank you to the group.. If you want to go above and beyond that, maybe bake some treats for everyone or something, but I don't think all those seperate thank you's are necessary (again, unless they were for seperate gifts.)
  • Options

imageEvenAngelsFall:
    Q for people stating everyone should get a thank you: have you been in a sororitty before...? Mine had over 100 people in it.  Working with 14 people is entirely different. If OP's is anything that large, I don't think she should have to write an individual thank you to each person unless she got 100 seperate gifts. If each girl just threw in 5 bucks for food + gift, I think its fine to write a thank you to the group.. If you want to go above and beyond that, maybe bake some treats for everyone or something, but I don't think all those seperate thank you's are necessary (again, unless they were for seperate gifts.)

I've been in a sorority and for every separate gift she should write a separate thank you.  I don't care if it's 1 gift or 100.  

My rule of thumb as far as group gifts (my personal rule of thumb, idk if it fits with Emily Post or not):  If it's a group of people (5+) that are regularly in one location together (for example, co-workers from your department), one thank you in a central with a special treat (cookies/candy, etc).  If it's a group of people who chip in, but aren't in the same place (for example, each one of your aunts sent $ to the one that lives closest and she went out and bought the present), then they each get a thank you.  

So a hypothetical example from your sorority thing:  If all of the current members living in the house chipped in and got you one present, I'd send them a thank you and some sort of a treat for the house.  If the alumni chipped in too, I'd send the TY/Gift to the house and then send the alumni their own TY.  If anyone gave you an additional present (let's say the chapter+alumni gives you a present and your Big Sis and Little Sis get you something special in addition) you'd send one to the house, ones to the alumni and a separate to your BS/LS.  Does that make sense? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    Clarification!  I'm 30 and this is a non academic sorority we raise money for cancer research.  I am the youngest member in my chapter.  The oldest is 90ish!
    image image Siggy Challange: Before and After 2 Days old Image and video hosting by TinyPic Almost 9 Months Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagephelpsam:
    Clarification!  I'm 30 and this is a non academic sorority we raise money for cancer research.  I am the youngest member in my chapter.  The oldest is 90ish!

Oh what a nice thing.... I wish there was something like that around me to join! Anyway, how many in your group? 

• Options

35 or so ladies.  Mine is the first baby born in the last 10 years. 

What state do you live in?  We have chapters all over the US.  And if there is not one in your area...if you know of 7 or more women who would like to get together to form a chapter a province organizer can come out and talk to you, and get you started!

• Options
    In my opinion, everyone should get a thank you card.  It doesn't matter if they gave you a seperate gift or a joint gift, they still got you a gift.   Sure some people might spend less on a joint gift but others might spend the same amount they would have spent on a seperate  one. Either way, I think it would be polite to give everyone a seperate card. 
  • Options

imageEvenAngelsFall:
    Q for people stating everyone should get a thank you: have you been in a sororitty before...? Mine had over 100 people in it.  Working with 14 people is entirely different.

Nope, I don't think it's different at all.  If someone chips in for a gift or if they give you one all on their own, they are still showing their generosity to celebrate with you and deserve to be acknowledged properly for it.

And as a side note: MY department has 14 people, but my school has over 120 staff members... nearly every single one usually gives a gift or contributes to a group gift.  Whether the guest of honor got 120 seperate gifts or a few dozen 'group' gifts, everyone is always acknowledged seperately.  

OP, with your clarification that there are about 35 women, some of whom are as old as 90, I stand behind my opinion- seperate thank yous! 

• Options

I am in a sorority alumnae group of about the same size.  I would do individual thank you notes to those who give gifts because everyone lives separately and will not see the thank you if you send only one.  Even if it is a group gift, it will usually say who contributed on the card or you can ask the person in charge and she may have a list so you can send individual thank yous.

I would also send one thank you to the chapter as a thank you for hosting.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"