Natural Birth

A squatting while pushing PSA

Some people below said that they didn't squat because their legs wouldn't have supported them.  In most hospitals, you can arrange the beds to help support you while you squat.  I'm about to be really brave and post a pic of how I managed to squat for over an hour...

I only got up off my rump when I needed to and rested as much as I could

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
Shawn and Larissa
LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: A squatting while pushing PSA

• Also, if you have really nice nurses (and a DH), they will hold your legs.   I don't have a pic (I like the OP pic, that's great), but I held on to the bar and the nurse and DH supported my legs......I even did this with my 2 nd birth.  I had an epidural for that one due to a ridiculously early urge to push when I was 3cm.....   It was nice to still be able to push while squatting, even though I had an epidural.
  • Excellent point! Those beds can do some pretty awesome things! And I just love the picture.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had no idea!!!  Good to know!  Awesome pic by the way, thanks for posting!
  • I tried the above and also I tried squatting next the bed (feet on the floor) while leaning forward/resting my arms on the bed for support. I also tried squatting backwards on the bed (like the pic only facing backwards) and leaning on about 50 pillows for support.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Thank you very much.  The picture was extremely helpful!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was pushing mostly on my hands and knees, but they also adjusted the bed to support me and give my doctor good access to the baby. The bottom of the bed lowered, and part of it broke away. Most hospitals have the equipment - sometimes you have to push to really get it used!
  • I adore this picture!  Thank you for sharing!
  • I think this picture is wonderful. I love the feeling of anticipation that's oozing from it! I just want to say, "oh, you're so close, mama! You can do it!" :D
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• What a fantastic picture.
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • I love the two people leaned waaaaay over to peek. It's cute.
  • Every labor was different.  I was so high with my first (natural endorphins) that I was just about having halluciantions.  I could not manage to coordinate my hands well enough to hold my baby--rather than him just lying on me--for about 20 minutes after I got him! Managing my legs under these circumstances would have been impossible.  I pushed for about 30 min total.

I black out when I push without oxygen.  Apparently, they never noticed with my first, and I didn't realize there was anything you can fdo about it, so it wasn't until by second, when I was being yelled at for letting up too soon, that I snarled back, "THAT'S BECAUSE I'M BLACKING OUT!" that I got O2.  With that, the edges of the world only go kinda gray instead of tmy entire vision going totally black with each push.  But that's still not so great for being a position from which you can fall any direction!

(He was a preemie, and they had to work on him for a couple of minutes before giving him to me.  Apparently, they weren't that concerned because they immediately left the room, and then I realized I had to pee DESPERATELY and had no way of getting to the potty in my shakey state with a baby in my arms!  I think I did more yelling AFTER the delivery to try to get someone's attention.  DH had left before everyone else to find a bathroom of his own, and I didn't realize I'd be alone.)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    TTC since 6/02 (age 22) K/U instantly despite no AF for 5 months--preemie baby boy 1/03
    M/C 11/04 - M/C 05 - M/C 06 - BFP 2/08--fullterm baby girl 10/08 - M/C 4/11 - went to RE at age 31
    DX: crappy quality & infrequent ovulation, mild MFI
    Stimmed cycle #1 C/P 7/11 - Stimmed cycle #2 C/P 8/11 - Stimmed cycle #4 C/P 10/11
    On Stimmed Cycle #5
    Always thought I'd be a "mom of many"--now just hoping to be a "mom of one or two more!"
  • imageCorbin30:
    I love the two people leaned waaaaay over to peek. It's cute.
    I love it too!  They seem to be thinking "hey, what's going on down there??"
  • imageArmyQM:
    imageCorbin30:
    I love the two people leaned waaaaay over to peek. It's cute.
    I love it too!  They seem to be thinking "hey, what's going on down there??"

That's my doula and my husband :)

Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
  • Awesome pic!
  • Thanks for posting.

I don't think my hospital had the birthing bar or that the beds were that flexible.

One birth centre here though does have birth slings which look fantastic to me. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• thank you thank you thank you!!!

now your picture is making me rethink not having any photography during the birth....

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • That's an awesome pic!

I labored on the bed when it was in a similar position. It was really nice to sit up like that. I had no idea before my labor that the beds could do that; it was cool. :) 

• Thank you for sharing that picture. It really captures an amazing moment- you can just feel the excitement in the room. :-) Plus, I had no idea those beds could do that!
  • Love this!!! You look so strong!

I used a birthing stool for at least half of my pushing phase, and it helped support me a lot, too.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • This is a fabulous picture -- love everything about it!  Thank you for the PSA.  I wanted to squat while pushing with my twins, but my hospital didn't have the equipment (they said).  However, they did let me push while on my side semi-propped up.  It worked well, but this time I would love to try it your way.
  • That's an awesome pic! thanks for sharing!!
    Susanne Ashby PhotographyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Your photo is an inspiration. I hope you don't mind, but I saved it to show my OB as an option for me. Thanks so much for sharing.

• imagerubycitrine:
    Your photo is an inspiration. I hope you don't mind, but I saved it to show my OB as an option for me. Thanks so much for sharing.

No problem :)

Shawn and Larissa
  • I love that pic. :)
    image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • imagesmilelari:

Some people below said that they didn't squat because their legs wouldn't have supported them.  In most hospitals, you can arrange the beds to help support you while you squat.  I'm about to be really brave and post a pic of how I managed to squat for over an hour...

I only got up off my rump when I needed to and rested as much as I could

This is exactly how I pushed- it was so comfortable and effective. Great picture!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"