Infertility Veterans

FSAs?? and 401ks??

I have $4,000 in an FSA account. That's mine right? I planed to pay off the rest of this IVF, the insurance only covers half of my u/s and b/w. We paid $9k already, but was saving the rest for copays.

I am really sad about my 401k, it took a huge nasty hit and is looking just awful. I have a thing with HR next week, but any idea what will about to that?

PAIF and SAIF Always Welcome!
TTC since 2007
6 IUIs, 3 IVFs, and 2 m/c :< PCOS, Blood Clotting Disorder & MFI
IVF #2 Aug 2011 is a BFN:<
IVF #3 March 2012 is a BFN
Not sure what to do now. Sad and lost.
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: FSAs?? and 401ks??

• I didn't see your post about being laid off until now I hope you find work soon.
    ttc since 10-09 first visit with RE 09-10 ME-everything ok DH- AZOOSPERMIA...biopsy confirmed Sertoli Only Cell syndrome Donor IUI#4 was the charm (8-27-11) with 125iuFollistim/Ovidrel/Endometrin/PIO/vit D beta #1 9/8/11....BFP!!! : ) @ 47.7 beta...#2 9/15/11... 1,998 beta#3 9/22/2011- 27,900 Baby's hb seen @6w2d ! 1-3-2012 20 wk u/s everything lookin' good! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSweetDahlia:

I have $4,000 in an FSA account. That's mine right? I planed to pay off the rest of this IVF, the insurance only covers half of my u/s and b/w. We paid $9k already, but was saving the rest for copays.

I am really sad about my 401k, it took a huge nasty hit and is looking just awful. I have a thing with HR next week, but any idea what will about to that?

I wish I would have maxed it then. I don't make much and wouldn't have gotten a paycheck.

8 years:< I am going to be so lost.

PAIF and SAIF Always Welcome!
    TTC since 2007
    6 IUIs, 3 IVFs, and 2 m/c :< PCOS, Blood Clotting Disorder & MFI
    IVF #2 Aug 2011 is a BFN:<
    IVF #3 March 2012 is a BFN
    Not sure what to do now. Sad and lost.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry this is so hard. So much to think about but don't worry about your 401k. Chances are, you will be able to roll it over into an IRA rollover.  You won't have to sell anything just move it into a new account. You can find your own company (broker) or if you are with Fidelity, for example, you can open up an IRA rollover with them without sellig any of the investments.

This sucks and I'm sorry.Sad

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't have any answers to your questions I just wanted to give you a ((hug)).  I hope things get better for you very quickly. 
    My Wonderful Sister is my GC!!!! 3 IUIs, 2 unmedicated, 1 50mg of Clomid = All BFNs Next step IVF!!!! Melinda & Michael 5*6*06 God Bless The Broken Road
  • imageGinger71:

I'm sorry this is so hard. So much to think about but don't worry about your 401k. Chances are, you will be able to roll it over into an IRA rollover.  You won't have to sell anything just move it into a new account. You can find your own company (broker) or if you are with Fidelity, for example, you can open up an IRA rollover with them without sellig any of the investments.

This sucks and I'm sorry.Sad

ditto this

((HUGS))

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, It empties today of its strength. ~Corrie ten Boom
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow. ~Mary Anne Radmacher (thank you beadinglady)

It's been a long journey. TTC since 9/06. multiple IUI's and IVF's and 4 m/c's. IVF#3 = BFP, twins, induced at 34w6d due to baby b passing away (no explanation). Delivered on 35w1d, Baby A - baby girl, and Baby B - baby boy, our little angel.
    MTHFR A1298C & C677T, Immune Issues and Factor II
  • I agree with ginger and worms about the 401k. Some employers let you keep your 401k with them after you're gone until you are ready to roll it into a 401k at a new employer or roll into a IRA. I actually still have my 401k at my former employer since I'm not working now. I hope the market bounces back soon and all our investments get better.
    TTC #1 since October 2008. Dealing with MFI.
    IVF #1 w ICSI in July 2010 = BFN
    IVF #2.1 in Oct 2010 converted to IUI = BFN
    IVF #2.2 w ICSI in Dec 2010 = BFN
    Met with new RE in new city on 1/31/11.
    IVF #3 w ICSI in April 2011. HPT on 5/9 = BFP!
    Beta #1 on 5/10 (10dp5dt) = 99.4. Beta #2 on 5/12 = 284. First u/s on 5/26. = Fraternal TWINS!
    Twin boys born & lost on 8/16/11 at 18w1d due to PPROM & preterm labor.
    IVF #4.1 in Jan 2012 converted to IUI on 1/7/12 = BFN
    IVF #4.2 w ICSI in Feb 2012. Lupron on 2/10. Stims on 2/18. ER on 2/29- 7R,6F
    ET scheduled for 3/5/12- nothing to transfer :(
    Dh seeing new MFI uro & Dh starting meds- June 2012.
    IVF #5 in Dec 2012 = BFFN.
    IVF #6 planned for Spring 2013. Praying for our take home baby/ies.
    **P/SAIF and P/SAL always welcome!**

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I agree with worms and ginger on your 401k. The FSA is your money. You have until april of next year to use it. You will not use it.

on the 401k..Roll it over to an IRA. DO NOT TAKE A PAY OUT. (Unless of course you have to for financial reasons.). If you take a pay out you are taxed at a high level. Also beware of keeping it with the employer. Sometimes, after two years it rolls back to the employer and you loose all the money. It depends on the way the plan is set up. I know with our business, several former employees lost thousands by leaving it sit there. Both the 401k plan and my company tried to warn them via letters etc multiple times.

SD, I am so sorry. THis must be so hard for you. Hang in there, start looking for something new. You will find something that you love just as much.

(HUGS)

"Onward"--CathyMD Waiting since 07/5/2011 for our forever child! Yep we are adopting!
  • your FSA is yours -- as soon as you can have receipts/bills to set against it. your 401 k you can leave until you roll it over. I waited a year or so before I rolled mine over. I just didnt get to it. 

TTC #2 since June '08

~*DD 10.21.07*~

dx unexplained

IUI #1-4 BFN

IVF#1 June 2011 BFN

IVF#2 Dec 2011

Beta#1 12/21 : 812 Beta#2 12/23 : 1634

EDD 8/25

*PAIFW/SAIFW*

• imagebaze2:

on the 401k..Roll it over to an IRA. DO NOT TAKE A PAY OUT. (Unless of course you have to for financial reasons.). If you take a pay out you are taxed at a high level. Also beware of keeping it with the employer. Sometimes, after two years it rolls back to the employer and you loose all the money. It depends on the way the plan is set up. I know with our business, several former employees lost thousands by leaving it sit there. Both the 401k plan and my company tried to warn them via letters etc multiple times.

WTF about rolling back to your employer?!  I've never heard of this.  I don't think mine will do this, and it's only been 4 months, but I will definitely check into. 

You are right about not taking a payout- big taxes and a penalty.

TTC #1 since October 2008. Dealing with MFI.
    IVF #1 w ICSI in July 2010 = BFN
    IVF #2.1 in Oct 2010 converted to IUI = BFN
    IVF #2.2 w ICSI in Dec 2010 = BFN
    Met with new RE in new city on 1/31/11.
    IVF #3 w ICSI in April 2011. HPT on 5/9 = BFP!
    Beta #1 on 5/10 (10dp5dt) = 99.4. Beta #2 on 5/12 = 284. First u/s on 5/26. = Fraternal TWINS!
    Twin boys born & lost on 8/16/11 at 18w1d due to PPROM & preterm labor.
    IVF #4.1 in Jan 2012 converted to IUI on 1/7/12 = BFN
    IVF #4.2 w ICSI in Feb 2012. Lupron on 2/10. Stims on 2/18. ER on 2/29- 7R,6F
    ET scheduled for 3/5/12- nothing to transfer :(
    Dh seeing new MFI uro & Dh starting meds- June 2012.
    IVF #5 in Dec 2012 = BFFN.
    IVF #6 planned for Spring 2013. Praying for our take home baby/ies.
    **P/SAIF and P/SAL always welcome!**

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Over from IF, hope you don't mind that I responded. 

I'm so sorry to hear that you were laid off.  When I got laid off from my job in 2008, I also had a flex account.  You should check with your HR dept.  With mine, I only had 30 days from my end date (when my benefits ended) to use the money or I lost it.  If that's the case, do you have a receipt for the $9k you already paid the RE?  You can turn that in and get reimbursed through your FSA account.

Also, like PP have mentioned, your 401k plan may dictate when you have to roll it over into an IRA. Some plans give you 6 months from leaving the company other don't have a time limit and you can leave it there forever.  Once you figure that out, meet with a financial advisor.  Most banks have FAs or other brokerage firms.  They should be able to give you advice on whether you should leave it and hope the market recovers a little more or if you can move it in kind. 

It's all so overwhelming.  Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"