Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Stomach Sleepers

does anyone let their LO stomach sleep. I put DS on his back and he flips to his side and onto his belly within minutes of being put down. He hates being on his back, I know I can't flip him over all night. Does anyone let their baby stomach sleep? i know it's frowned upon... but its the only way he seems comfy.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Stomach Sleepers

• Options
    I do, she is strong enough to turn her head when needed.  We dont have anything in her crib either..no bumpers
    Kelly- Mom to Katelyn Rose and Ella Ann Formerly MichBride2004 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We swaddled DS until he was 4 months. As soon as he got both hands out, onto his stomach he'd go!

This freaked me out, so I made him sleep in his swing until 5 mos. He sleeps on his stomach in his crib now. I'm not the biggest fan (and I still lay him down on his back). He'll sometimes sleep on his back, but I don't count on it.

I've heard as long as your LO can push up and turn his/her head, he/she should be fine.  DS hasn't had a problem and sleeps great, so... I just have to trust it's gonna be okay!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
    Application approved Dec '11
    Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
    After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
    Homestudy complete July 19
    USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
    Come home, baby A!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    skioskio member
    Yeah. As soon as she learned to roll, she was onto her belly at night. At first, she would wake herself up and scream until I came in and turned her back. That was a fun month. She's finally comfortable in any position now and doesn't freak out when she rolls, so I leave her be. She has plenty of strength to move her head if she needs to, I'm not concerned at all about that. I still always put her down on her back, then let her decide how she wants to be for the night.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageskio:
    Yeah. As soon as she learned to roll, she was onto her belly at night. At first, she would wake herself up and scream until I came in and turned her back. That was a fun month. She's finally comfortable in any position now and doesn't freak out when she rolls, so I leave her be. She has plenty of strength to move her head if she needs to, I'm not concerned at all about that. I still always put her down on her back, then let her decide how she wants to be for the night.

This was us too! He would roll onto his belly and if he woke up he would scream...ugh torture. He is now totally moving around like a mad man in his sleep, he starts on one end and inch worms to the top somehow and is in all these crazy positions.

My pedi said as long as you put them on their backs to sleep and he has the control to move his head your fine. It is nerve racking after everything you hear about them being on their backs, but honestly its like flipping pancakes all night if you try to keep them on their backs. 

• Options

Mine sleeps on his stomach.  I always put him to bed on his back but he flips over to his stomach.  You should always put them on their backs, but once they are able to roll over they are going to go where they are most comfortable. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I notice all your babies are around 5 months. My LO is still only 3, did your babies do this at his age too? Or it's a new thing? It makes me so nervous because he's still so little.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageTheRealNJhousewife:
    I notice all your babies are around 5 months. My LO is still only 3, did your babies do this at his age too? Or it's a new thing? It makes me so nervous because he's still so little.

My daughter is almost 6 months old but she has been sleeping on her stomach for months.  The first time she rolled onto her stomach she was 2.5 months old.  I doubt she really knew what she was doing but she would ONLY sleep that way from the moment she began rolling.

She broke out of swaddling really early and always wanted to sleep on her tummy.  It made me really nervous at first and I always watched her while she napped.  She always had really good head control so I let her sleep that way.  She's still sleeping on her tummy and always wakes up if she rolls to her back in her sleep.

I'd let your LO sleep on his tummy if he sleeps better and has good head control.  Good luck! 

• Options

imageTheRealNJhousewife:

Mine started putting herself on her tummy to sleep at 3 months, 3 weeks exactly. I was freaked out the first night, but like you, had people reassuring me that if she was strong enough to get herself into that position, it was ok.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    My LO has been sleeping on her tummy since she was 3 weeks old. She had a very strong neck early on and was able to move her head side to side. I constantly check on her with our monitor..
  • Options
    Ever since she learned to roll she has been a tummy sleeper. I let her sleep on her tummy because I know that she is strong enough to push up and turn her head if she needs to.  DD1 slept on her tummy since she learned to roll over too so it's not too too scary for me.  Also, like someone else said she doesn't have anything in her crib at all. 
    075 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My LO has been sleeping on her stomach since birth. She slept on her belly on my chest for the first 4 weeks and has been sleeping on her belly in her crib since then. She refused to sleep on her back. As soon as I would lay her down (even when swaddled) she would wake up within 5 minutes. She was able to hold her head up at 2 weeks old and was moving her head back and forth at 3 weeks. I have no worries. I took her bumpers out when she began scooting in her crib and she sleeps with a blanket. I have watched her sleep and I know what kind of movements she makes and I check on her every time I get out of bed, or change positions in bed. Her crib is right next to my bed. 
  • Options
    imagesrmmm09:

I've heard as long as your LO can push up and turn his/her head, he/she should be fine.  DS hasn't had a problem and sleeps great, so... I just have to trust it's gonna be okay!

This....I can't get up every 5 minutes at night to flip my DD over. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"