Special Needs

not sure if DH is patient enough... turned out LONG

I don't know else to say what I'm thinking, but, I"m not trying to paint a bad picture of DH - just that he doesn't understand as well, perhaps?!

DS is verbally apraxic. He's been in speech (EI) for almost 1 year -started off  1x 45 min and since APril is up to 2x 45 min - the progress he's made is fantastic, its amazing really.

However, it seems he's plateaued. I agree, but, I am the one who sits and watches the sessions, I as a SN teacher know the effort that it takes on behalf of the SN child to overcome any obstacle.

DH thinks "its time for a change of therapists" since we're transitioning him to CPSE (preschool) due to his age -- I disagree and will fight to the death on it.

His SLP is wonderful and knows her stuff for apraxia, its just that DS has reached a stage that he has plateaued slightly and with more drill work and other type practice he will get over this hurdle.

For preschool the sessions decrease to 30 min so we are requesting 3x 30 min to make up for the time that will be lost.

i guess I didn't really ask a question. but It gets frustrating because I dont think DS really "gets" that speech isnt' something that will just naturally progress for all kids, and plateauing is normal as long as he works he'll get it... and I'm stuck between trying to convince my DH why our SLP is so great and be the advocate for DS to everyone... I shouldn't have to advocate to DH...

Sorry for rambling... I didn't realize I had so much to blabber about.

Re: not sure if DH is patient enough... turned out LONG

• Hugs to you. I know what you are going through because my son has struggled with Apraxia.
  • I don't really have any advice. Just wanted to say I know how you fell. I had the same exact issue with my DH. He wanted to find a new SLP and I'm the one going to the appts and seeing the work that is being done and I say no. My DD has autism and apraixa and my dh just wants nothing more than for her to talk and he wants it to happen overnight.

They just want to see their babies thrive and it hurts them that this is such a long process.

Again, I'm sorry I know what a pain it is to deal with a DH wanting to change the game plan up.

For DD - IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP / For DS - dIUI #1 - BFP Dx:severe MFI-Y Chromosome Microdeletion Isabel born 10-15-08! / Baby Boy EDD July 2013 imageLily  pie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I understand your husbands frustration and want to change therapists because I was just like him. DS1 has apraxia, and has been in PROMPT therapy since late January. When he started he was 2y2m old and had 2 words. He had been in ITC/EI for 5 months and made very minimal progress (went from 0 words to 2 words in 5 months) and that's when I knew normal speech therapy was not working. When he started PROMPT he initially made some huge leaps and within a fee months had about 20 words but then there was a HUGE plateau. For 3 months there seemed to be little to no progress. The therapist would complain that DS was uncooperative and behaviorally difficult during sessions, he was saying no new words, I was starting to worry and I wanted to switch SLPs and/or switch to a different kind of therapy since I thought PROMPT wasn't working anymore. My husband was more calm about this and he reminded me that a lot of the books we read about apraxia and accounts we heard from parents online stated that many apraxic kids go through a lull and then have an explosion of words. I didn't believe it and after every session I would argue with my husband to switch SLPs. DH agreed that if in one more month DS had made no progress then we would start looking, but I guess I had over-reacted and thank goodness DH was right. Our son suddenly had an explosion of words...it is really the only way I can describe it. I am hearing new words ever single day, coupled with two or more frequent word combinations. He is now asking where questions! He is using many words while pretend playing! He's using words to express wants and needs! It is simply amazing.

I started losing count of the words he can say, he was repeating everything we were saying and using new words so quickly. I think he has well over 150-200 words and that's me being conservative. So obviously DS was somehow soaking it all in for those 3 months and now he feels confident enough to speak. His intelligibility is still low, he drops many ending sounds, can't really say the "L" sound but at least he is actually speaking and using words to express wants and needs vs. The horrible screaming he was doing!

I think your husband, like me, is just scared and wants to see quicker progress. I really don't think anything my husband would have told me during the lull would have made me agree with him. I wanted to blame something for the lull and the easiest and most "logical" thing to blame was the slp or the type of therapy. Don't get me wrong though, sometimes you do have to change SLPs or therapy, like we did in the beginning because I just knew it wasn't working vs. being frustrated there was no progress. With the PROMPT therapy DS was making progress but very very slowly and only during the sessions while not implementing any of it outside the sessions, I guess that's how DH knew it was working and we just needed to be patient. But with the EI therapy DS was making NO progress even within the sessions and that's how we knew it was going nowhere.

I don't really have any specific advice to give you, just wanted to share my own experince and let you know that your husbands reaction is a normal one, and I think many parents go through it. It's frustrating, and probably exhausting for you to keep trying to convince your husband that the therapy is working. Just make sure you are seeing actual progress within each session and relay each little progress you see to your husband and maybe it would help. sorry for all the typos and spelling mistakes! I bump from my iPhone while breastfeeding my 2 month old in the wee hours of the morning! Hope I helped!

• thank you to all that replied-

Auntie, I appreciate the different perspective- yes, you're right in many ways I have bonded with the SLP because I've seen what she's done with and for our son - so perhaps I am hesitant to let her go from "our family". I hadn't thought of that.

I also hate to think I am disregarding my husbands feelings - but I guess the way he reacts makes me feel that he expects after tuesdays session DS will now be 55% intelligible and after Thursday's session he'll be 60% intelligible...

All in all... maybe instead of he and I having small snippits of discussion about it we should just sit and chat about what we see happening in the near future in regards to DS tx plan - since he is in the process of transitioinign the time is right.

Thanks to all. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"