Baby Names

Maiden Names as First Names

I've always loved my mother's maiden name and, putting the cart before the horse, DH and I considered it when it comes to a little girl's first name. Since we're not pregnant yet, and we don't intend on telling others what we decide on when we DO pick names, wanted to get opinions here on...

Daly 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Maiden Names as First Names

• Not sure I'm in love with it but I know plenty of people who do this.  I think its a very regional thing and as long as you like it that is truly what matters!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like it a lot.

And its extra nice that it has personal meaning!  GL!

One beautiful toddler and one beautiful baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • I really think it depends on the name.

In this case, I think it'd be better as a MN than a FN

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We would definitely pick a feminine, traditional middle name like Elizabeth or Catherine.
  • I'm using my grandma's maiden name as a possible boy's name: Mason.

Not sure about Daly(is it pronounced like daily or dolly?)

Dx w/Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy 3/3/12
    Induced 3/13/12 @ 37w2d | DD born 3/14/12 6:31pm 6lbs 15oz 19"
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Pronounced like "daily".
  • I sometimes like this in theory, but not with Daly because it sounds like another word (daily).  I think it would be great for a MN though!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• Hate the trend and dont like the name
  • imageMoneypenny424:
    I sometimes like this in theory, but not with Daly because it sounds like another word (daily).  I think it would be great for a MN though!

This.

*BFP 11/3/07*J born 07/06/08*
    *BFP 10/15/11*CP 10/18/11*
    *BFP 2/1/12*EDD 10/14/12*natural M/C 2/24/12 7w*
    *BFP 5/2/12*E born 01/03/13 (her due date)
  • dislike. a middle name would be better imo.
  • imageobeach8:
    Pronounced like "daily".

I tend to be a little more "out-of-the-box" so to speak, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But, I really like it. I think it's cute for a girl's name. Just be careful with the middle name since depending on the choice it could be a little play on words considering it sounds like the word daily.

Dx w/Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy 3/3/12
    Induced 3/13/12 @ 37w2d | DD born 3/14/12 6:31pm 6lbs 15oz 19"
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think it's precious!
    BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Slings at Nurtured Family
  • I'll also add that Daly+another name sounds like a newspaper.  The Daly Catherine.  Just a thought.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• imageobeach8:
    Pronounced like "daily".

I would have pronouned this like Dally.

• imagemagsugar13:
    Hate the trend and dont like the name

I guess you could call it a "trend", but it's been done for at least 150 years in the South.

We're in the deep South, and almost everyone uses the mother's maiden name in some way. It's a traditional way to pass the name along, since most women here drop their maiden name.

• I'm not from the South, but I have a lot of Southern friends and I really like the tradition. I know it doesn't work for all names, so I wanted to get some opinions. Originally, the last name was O'Daleigh (back in the 1800s) but was shortened over time. Thanks for all of your input; very thoughtful responses!
  • imageHeyJune:

imagemagsugar13:

I guess you could call it a "trend", but it's been done for at least 150 years in the South.

We're in the deep South, and almost everyone uses the mother's maiden name in some way. It's a traditional way to pass the name along, since most women here drop their maiden name.

I was going to say the same thing. More like "tradition" than trend.

OP I love the idea of using your maiden name, but I'm not sure I love the actual name. Maybe as a middle name? I don't hate it, I just don't love it.

I love Elizabeth Daly, or Katherine Daly though!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageobeach8:
    I'm not from the South, but I have a lot of Southern friends and I really like the tradition. I know it doesn't work for all names, so I wanted to get some opinions. Originally, the last name was O'Daleigh (back in the 1800s) but was shortened over time. Thanks for all of your input; very thoughtful responses!

I like it, but I think I would use the Daleigh spelling.  Then you could honor both your mother AND the original family name :)  

We've been tossing around my mother's maiden name too (O'Rourke).  I like Rourke for a boy or girl, but I can already think of a couple of nicknames that might not be too cool for a kid to live with (dorky Rourk-ey comes immediately to mind....). 

• imageJKat876:

I really think it depends on the name.

In this case, I think it'd be better as a MN than a FN

Yes

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I like the trend of using maiden names as first names, and I think Daly has a nice sound and would work just fine on a girl/woman.
    VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• I think Daly is absolutely adorable and totally works as a fn.  Love it! 

My sister was actually given my grandmother's maiden name, "Bailey."  I was hoping to continue the tradition if I had a daughter and give her my mother's maiden name, "Selby."  Unfortunately, my DH was not the biggest fan. 

• I generally like it if 1) it is recognizable and familiar as a first name and 2) it has family significance.  In this case, the family significance is there, but I just don't think this one works as a FN.  DS #1's name is my grandmother's maiden name and I love it, but Reed has also been used as a first name for a really long time and people don't give it the side eye.  
  • I think it's better as a mn

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMoneypenny424:
    I sometimes like this in theory, but not with Daly because it sounds like another word (daily).  I think it would be great for a MN though!

This is what I'm thinking.  Most people will hear it before they see it.  I just don't think it makes for a good first name.

Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • I think family last names / maiden names work better as middle names. My DD's middle name is my maiden name and every time I say it, Rene', it sounds like a last name to me.

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • I like it a lot and I think it works!
  • It depends on the name, but most maiden names make for better mn's than fn's imo. My daughter's mn is Collett- it is my mother's maiden name as well as my sister's middle name, it is also one that I think could work as a fn. I wanted to keep the original spelling however and was afraid using it as a fn would just make it seem like I was trying to be u-neek. I think Daly has a nice ring to it, but would work better as a mn.
  • It depends on the name. I don't like Daly as a FN, no matter what the significance. I think it's hard to find a LN that works as a FN, because many of them are too masculine (Bryan, Carson, Carter, Mason, Anderson, etc.) for girls. I have a friend, however, who used Lacey. Think what you want about Lacey as a FN, but at least it's a feminine surname-turned-FN.
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • imagealliejo725:
    I like the trend of using maiden names as first names, and I think Daly has a nice sound and would work just fine on a girl/woman.

This.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image image
  • imageHeyJune:

imagemagsugar13:

Word. I think it is so funny when non-Southerners think this is a trend. We've been doing this for years.

• I love this!

Daly actually used to be one of my favorite boy names. I like it a lot for a girl as well, especially with the family meaning.

• Strongly agree with the others here that using a family last name as a first name is not a trend by any means.  What's trendy is picking faux-patrician first names with no family connection whatsoever.
  • imagebrooklynesque:
    Strongly agree with the others here that using a family last name as a first name is not a trend by any means.  What's trendy is picking faux-patrician first names with no family connection whatsoever.

Agreed. My mother's maiden name is Bell. My DD is Annabelle.  

• My maiden name is Griffin and my Grandma's maiden name is Ryan, so I would consider those names since they are commonly used as first names. A lot of last names, however, do not sound good as first names.

I do not think Daly sounds like a first name but it could work as a middle name.

imageimage
  • I don't mind when it has meaning, not just the last name as first name thing. That said, i'd use Daly as a MN.
  • It def depends on the name.  If I were to do that, my poor baby would be named Lavery Dailey.  Scary!
  • I love that name Daly for a girl, I think its unique but has character. I have met people who have done this before with their mothers maiden names and wished I could as well but my mothers maiden name is Rudolph hem hem need I say more.
  • imagekrissyser:
    I love that name Daly for a girl, I think its unique but has character. I have met people who have done this before with their mothers maiden names and wished I could as well but my mothers maiden name is Rudolph hem hem need I say more.

Really, you dragged up a 5-month-old post? How long did it even take you to find that?

P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • I think it would be an excellent middle name.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"