December 2011 Moms
Options

Childbirth classes- who's taking what?

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I was just curious as to what childbirth classes, if any, you all are taking? I just signed up for the 1-Day Childbirth Prep class and the Hospital Tour. I am on the fence about the Breastfeeding Basics class, and maybe the First Time Parents Baby Care class? It's really hard to schedule any of this with my husband's schedule (he's a firefighter), so I just signed up for the two classes that fell on the dates he could go. 

Any advice from already-moms?? Did you take any of these classes, and were they helpful? I think the Breastfeeding class would be good, but also I know that there are lactation consultants at the hospital who will tell/show you the same things, for free!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Childbirth classes- who's taking what?

• Options

We pay $60 for our childbirth class, which is 9 hours and includes the hospital tour.

With that class registration, we get Taking Care of Baby (sleep basics, feeding, diapering, infant CPR), Breastfeeding Intro and Breastfeeding for Working Moms for free.  

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Options
    I'm just taking the birthing class offered at my hospital.  I'll concider nursing classes if I'm having trouble, don't think it will be much help without the baby.  Parenting classes I nixed because I'll learn a lot from the nurses, our parents and friends, my thought is the same here as with nurshing, books will serve me the same because every baby is different. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm taking the Midwife centering pregnancy group class in place of the monthly appointment. I'm also doing the Bradley Birth class and Bringing Baby Home class through our hospital. It's basically a marriage/relationship class that gives you skills to deal with being a new parent, how to communicate when your exhausted and stressed and incorporating intimacy and keeping both a marriage and family happy.

Nicole 32| Julian 29
    Cooper: 11/20/11
    Julian: EDD 8/1/16
    PCOS & Endo. w/ DOR

• Options

I took a BFing class last time, and I found it immensely helpful. DH is a cop and couldn't go, so I took my mom.

This time I'm going for a natural birth so DH and I are taking Bradley classes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We just finished the childbirthing class - it was Monday night for four weeks and included a hospital tour. It covered pain management techniques (both natural and medical), the biology of what's actually happening during labor (helpful for my husband), tips for post-partum recovery, etc. In addition, we're taking Baby Safe (about car seat safety, babyproofing, infant CPR, knowing when to call the doctor, how to treat common stuff, etc) and Infant Care (feeding, swaddling, diapering, bathing, traveling with baby, etc.). There's also a Daddies class that my husband is considering after talking to some friends who said they took the class and found it really helpful, and I may or may not take Breastfeeding as well (I'm considering just working with an LC since I had a breast reduction and will probably be a "special case" in terms of amount and whatnot, if I'm even able to breastfeed).
  • Options
    imageuncharch7:

We pay $60 for our childbirth class, which is 9 hours and includes the hospital tour.

With that class registration, we get Taking Care of Baby (sleep basics, feeding, diapering, infant CPR), Breastfeeding Intro and Breastfeeding for Working Moms for free.  

Wow- that's a good deal! Our Childbirth Prep class is $95 for the all-day class. The hospital tour is free, but then the Breastfeeding class is $30, Basic Baby Care is $30 and Infant Safety/CPR is $75...

• Options

I don't like the hospital ones around here, so I didn't take them.

With DD, we took a prenatal class that covered everything from BFP to birth, and also included a full class on breastfeeding, swaddling, and diapering. We had to bring in dolls to practice on (I found this really helpful for breastfeeding positions). After DD was born, we met with the hospital's LC, and then a nurse from our local health unit stopped by within 48 hours of being home to check on the BF again. It was awesome. I also joined a post-partum group of moms who all had their babies within a month of each other. It was great to get opinions, new ideas, and for reassurance that I wasn't alone in dealing with things (baby or DH related lol). The group was faciliated by a nurse so there was access to post-partum medical advice as well (for me and baby). All of us ladies are still friends 5 years later.

With this one, I'm doing Hypnobirthing but I'm not taking a class. My doula is a certified Hypnobirthing instructor so she is giving me private lessons during her visits. They are amazing.

Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Options

We're actually taking ours right now. It's called the Childbirth Preparation Series and is four 2 1/2 hour classes over five weeks. It is offered by the healthcare provider system my doctor is part of. It costs $80 and includes written materials and a tour of the hospital where it is held (which is not the hospital I will be delivering in, incidentally).

It's actually been very informative, although we are taking it a touch early. They really want you to wait until your 7th month, but I wanted to get it out of the way and it fit into our schedules. 

I'm also taking a BF class, which is scheduled for later this month, although I may delay that until the beginning of November. 

DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Im taking a 12 week Bradley Course (but we really wanted to do a natural birth so I felt like the more prepared I was, the better). I highly reccomend it if you want to have a natural L&D, if not itll just be a long waste of time.

Im also taking the 2 week series breastfeeding class offered by the Le Leche Instructor in my area as the hospital lactation consultant is a ding bat here. I have inverted nipples so I already have a lot going against me with BFing. I feel like it will be HUGELY benneficial to take a BFing class before hand (but not too far in advance so you remember the material) because how you START BFing can really affect on how well it works for you. If you start off doing all the wrong things youre teaching your baby bad habbits that might be hard to break once you realize it isnt working. Also the Le Leche League is big on advocating skin to skin contact and BFing imediately after birth if the baby and mom are healthy and able to do this and they talk about WHY this is important and how to make sure it happens for you in your hospital delivery even though that might not be the protocol in that hospital. All of these are things you wouldnt really know about or understand the importance of *(if you agree with it) if you hadnt gone to classes before hand.

The lactation class here is only $25 so it's definitely worth it!

• Options
    Since I am a first time mom I want to be prepared for LO's arrival and have decided to take all classes available at the local hospital. I am taking Childbirth Preparation, Breastfeeding, Infant CPR and Baby Care classes All together they are a 13 hr class for $130. Not bad I think, plus I have so much extra time...
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagejmd22:

Any advice from already-moms?? Did you take any of these classes, and were they helpful? I think the Breastfeeding class would be good, but also I know that there are lactation consultants at the hospital who will tell/show you the same things, for free!  

I took Bradley classes the first time around & found them EXTREMELY helpful with trying for a med-free birth.  It was a 12-week class & one class was completely BFing.  I also went to a few La Lech League meetings.  Yes, the lactation consultants in the hospital are free but I believe the more you know going in the better.  Even with all the pre & seeing 3 LCs in the hospital, I still called another LC once I got home because of the problems I had.

• Options
    MyeMye member
    I am taking Marvelous Multiples, its like a baby class, covering birth, baby care, BF, etc but aimed at multiples, its 2 days at the hospital my insurance pays $50 of it 
  • Options

When pregnant with DD, we didn't take any classes and even after going through the experience, I didn't regret not taking a class. For me personally, a lot of it is common sense; you know what to do with your body, and your body knows what to do with itself. 

With that being said, I do think that a Bradley class that focuses mostly on breathing exercises is a good class to take, just for the matter of staying focused if you are a person who can get flustered and overwhelmed.

We will be taking a breastfeeding class just because I want to BF longer this time, and I think a class will help me and DH support that and work together as a team to be successful. DD will also go to a "Siblings are Special" class that just encourages kids in being an older sibling. Other than that, we are just doing a hospital tour. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (uREA)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagejmd22:
    imageuncharch7:

Wow- that's a good deal! Our Childbirth Prep class is $95 for the all-day class. The hospital tour is free, but then the Breastfeeding class is $30, Basic Baby Care is $30 and Infant Safety/CPR is $75...

I am in the wrong part of the country!  Our hospital childbirth class is $185 (it's 1 1/2 days), including a hospital tour (which you can do for free on your own)  Breastfeeding class is $50, infant care is $50, but I guess our infant CPR class is the deal at $45..

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We're taking the one day "marathon crash-course" childbirth class in October. It focuses on the birthing process and labor relaxation/management techniques. I feel like I know a ton about childbirth, but DH is totally clueless ("you mean when women say they labored for 15 hours they weren't pushing the whole time? then what's the big fuss?!"). I'm more interested in the labor relaxation part of it, and I feel like if it ends up being a bust, there will still be time to do research/read more.

We're also doing a hospital tour in early November. We're skipping the baby basics class since I'm pretty sure I know how to change and bathe a baby, and DH can learn through trial by fire.  

BFP#1=12/24/10 missed m/c @ 9w2d BFP#2=4/13/11 EDD 12/24/11 (coming full circle!)
    Ella born 12/21/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

DH and I are just working through the free on on babycenter.com. So far we like it! I don't feel like I would get any new different info from attending a $100 class at the hospital (our original plan).

In September we are taking a 1 day Baby Basics class at the hospital.

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• Options
    We're doing a Labor & Birthing class with hospital tour on Oct. 8th and a Newborn Care class on October 15th. I'm also going to a BFing class sometime in October or Nov.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Im taking a 5 week course at the hospital that covers everything, 5 classes at 3 hours each. It cost me $75 but I think my benefits will cover the cost. I would take them all but i like to be overprepared

• Options
    i am taking a 5 week childbirth/infant care course plus a breast feeding course. there is a tour included in there as well. i would rather take the spread out one so i have time to digest each topic and not feel so overwhelmed.
  • Options
    I signed up for the hospital tour and the breastfeeding and childbirth classes are $120. DH can only do the childbirth classes with his work schedule.
    ** Highschool Sweethearts ** 
    Married: February 14, 2009

MC: June 6 2010 @ 18 weeks
    DS: December 19, 2011
    MC: October 2, 2015 @ 14 weeks

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We are taking a car seat safety class that is free. Then the next week we start a one night a week for six weeks childbirth class that I think is $30. And then a one night breast feeding class the week after childbirth classes end that is about $15.
    Married 10/2007
    Started TTC 2009
    03/2010 Exploratory Laparoscopy, Hysteroscopy, D&C, HSG and Ovarian Drilling - All clear, except blocked Fallopian Tubes?
    02/2011 HSG - All clear!
    03/2011 Diagnosed Annovulatory
    03/2011 Prometrium 200mg then Clomid 50mg - BFP!!
    DD born 12/15/2011
    11/2012-12/1012 Prometrium 200mg then Clomid 50mg - BFP!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Wow!  We're signed up for "Mindfullness Childbirth," which is  2 hours once a week for a month and a half.  It includes nearly a full day at the hospital on the weekend as well.  I guess I am going to be SUPER prepared.  It's also pretty pricey.  They do a sliding scale of $100-$300 depending on what you can afford.  I hear wonderful things about it so I am pretty excited and I think it's doing to help DH a lot too.  I got him to watch The Business of Being Born last night and I think it blew his mind. 
  • Options
    We are taking Hypnobirthing.  It is a 6 week course with the book and other materials included.  My insurance covers all health education classes so we will be reimbursed afterwards.  I will probably do the infant care one and the BF one as well. 
  • Options
    imageemd2887:

I feel like I know a ton about childbirth, but DH is totally clueless ("you mean when women say they labored for 15 hours they weren't pushing the whole time? then what's the big fuss?!").

How'd that statement go over?  LOL. 

We are taking all the classes at the hospital (Lamaze childbirth, save a baby, baby care basics and breastfeeding), for around $100.  A lot of it I may not need, but I wanted to take everything available....mostly because I really enjoy workshop type settings and feel like they enhance things....even if I've read it a million times over.

href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/33e2da" rel="nofollow">Chart

• Options

I'm taking one called Birthing from Within, the only English-language offering available before EDD. It's a full weekend workshop that covers pain management, labor positions, massage, communicating with hospital staff. 

There's a second weekend that covers baby care, post-natal care, BFing and I think they do belly casts or something, but DH will be travelling that weekend, so I'm not sure if I'll go. I'm pretty sure I know how to put on a diaper, while he's never held a baby, and I feel like a belly cast is just clutter and I'm trying to cut down on that...

Anyway, it's a bit of a battle convincing DH about the classes, because my doctor downplayed the neccessity (oh, you don't need to learn all that breathing stuff, we'll tell you what to do when the time comes) and DH spoke with some random friend of his who had done birthing classes and didn't find them helpful. Plus, it's a lot more expensive here than what you ladies are discussing (something like $250 for the first weekend and additional $100 if I do the second - insurance does not cover!). So he's trying to be frugal and tell me I will be fine with the hospital staff helping me, and I feel like the more prepared I am the less nervous/stressed I will feel when the time comes.

I'm also thinking about seeing if my school nurse will come over one night and teach us infant CPR and first aid (I don't think the Turkish red cross offers those types of courses...), or see if she can recommend someone to teach us (ie DH :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"