Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Tear duct probing -- Anyone's LO have this done?

DD is going on 11 months and STILL has a clogged tear duct in her right eye.  I ask the pedi every time she has a check-up and at her 9 month well visit he said that if it's still not gone by a year old, that she will have to have it "unclogged." 

First of all, is it normal for a Dr. to let it go a year before doing something about it, and secondly, has anyone had a LO that had this procedure done? Just wondering if it's no big deal or something to be concerned about! TIA :)

Re: Tear duct probing -- Anyone's LO have this done?

• I know this may sound strange - but - a friend of mine's daughter had this issue.  They went on a trip and flew overseas.  The flight somehow unclogged the tear duct - not sure if it was because of the altitude or what.  They ended up not needing the procedure.  So, on the off chance you have a flight planned with LO - it might work. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • imageaabreu32:
    I know this may sound strange - but - a friend of mine's daughter had this issue.  They went on a trip and flew overseas.  The flight somehow unclogged the tear duct - not sure if it was because of the altitude or what.  They ended up not needing the procedure.  So, on the off chance you have a flight planned with LO - it might work. 

That is weird!  We took a plane trip across the country a little over a month ago and it didn't work.  Maybe I needed to fly overseas!  LOL 

@ Kirky, I have read that they either do it by numbing drops or slight gen. anethesia (where they're not completely out)...either way,  I'm not really looking forward to it.  Hopefully it'll correct itself in the next month and a half...

• Loading the player...
  • We just had this procedure done two weeks ago on both of LO's eyes.  Our pedi waited until DS was 6 months and then referred us to a pediatric ophthalmologist when his ducts weren't clear by his 6 month appointment.  It took us a few months to get in to see the ophthalmologist and then another few to get in for the surgery.

Honestly, the procedure really wasn't bad at all.  The probing itself only took ~ 20 - 30 minutes.  We had the ducts unclogged and tubes inserted to make sure they stay open.  In 6 months we go back and have the tubes removed during an office visit. 

DS was put under general anesthesia and was extremely grouchy/disoriented when he first woke up from surgery.  He cried the entire time from when he woke up until he fell asleep in the car on the way home and this was the worst part of the day for us.  His cry was so pathetic and there wasn't much that we tried that actually consoled him.  DS was pretty groggy when we got home and ended up taking a 2 hour nap - he typically doesn't usually sleep longer than an hour ever.  For the rest of the day he was pretty wobbly when crawling around, but he didn't seem out of it like he did before the long nap.  This was from the anesthesia and we were warned to expect it.

The day of his procedure he had a little bit of blood tinged tears and some bloody discharge coming out of his nose, which we were also told was normal.  This bloody discharge ended by mid-afternoon.

By the next day DS was totally back to normal.  I love not having to wipe goop away from his eyes each day and he also loves that I don't have to.  :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My son had it done a few weeks ago...in office.  We had it done just before his bday (doc said he could avoid anesthesia if we did it as soon as possible).  They wrapped him in a blanket so he couldn't move, gave numbing drops, and probed him.  The whole thing took about 5 mins and that included wrapping him up.  I felt horrible since he didn't have anything more than numbing drops.  But he stopped crying the moment they let him up.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO just saw the ped. opth. last week.  She has to get her right eye probed.  Her Dr. told me that they can do it in office which takes about 5 minutes before the age of one. If it's after the age of one they put them under. I guess their way of thinking is that once they hit one they are too squirmy.  Well, so are 10 mo olds but whatever!  I opted for the easy 5 minutes because I hate the thought of anesthesia when they are so young.  So she is going next week to have it done.  Even though it is quick I'll still be a nervous wreck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"