Baby Names

Brooke with a cousin named Brock?

I just wanted a little input. One name I have always loved is Brooke. As soon as my nephew was named Brock I threw it out the window because they sound so similar. But, my nephew is now 10 years old(and I'm just now TTC) so they would have a big age gap, so it's doubtful they would ever really "hang out" except for family things. FWIW, we do see Brock quite often so it's not like they live in another state or anything. Who knows if I'll ever even have a girl, but this is just a thought I'm having when thinking about phantom baby names. So would you name your baby a name that is so similar to their cousin? TIA!

Re: Brooke with a cousin named Brock?

• I didn't even read your message, but my answer is use it.

Aside from the fact that Brooke and Brock sound distinctly different (despite looking fairly simiilar and sharing some of the same sounds), nobody's going to confuse a your nephew and the new little baby girl.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• yep, use it. I grew up with two Grandmas named Margaret, two cousins named Dave, a Grandpa, dad and brother named John and it was fun. Use it. I wish I could but my husband won't let me. :( 
  • Loading the player...
  • Although, maybe run it by Brock's mom in advance to make sure she's not sensitive about it? Some people can be sensitive about these things.
  • I know what you mean. I have a niece Ava and I love the name Eva but DH and I agreed that they are too close. I think since you are using name opposite sex then it is ok.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i think it's totally fine.
  • I agree, use it! :)
  • Use it.  I have two cousins on the same side named Hannah.  It's easy to differentiate.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would use it. I have cousins on the same side named Barrett and Garrett (different families).
  • I would use it.  They are cousins, not siblings.  I don't think it is problem at all.
  • imageNellaJ:
    I would use it. I have cousins on the same side named Barrett and Garrett (different families).

I have a son named Garrett! :)

Also, thanks for all of the input everyone! I am now going to seriously consider using Brooke! Hopefully I get the chance to.

• My DH & I have had this conversation & do not agree. I think it doesn't matter, he thinks it does.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I Love it. Use it!

• I love the name Brooke! I'd say use it! I don't think Brock is similar enough to throw Brooke out the window!

Dx w/Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy 3/3/12
    Induced 3/13/12 @ 37w2d | DD born 3/14/12 6:31pm 6lbs 15oz 19"
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Use it. They are completely different names.
  • I think you are fine to go with Brooke.
  • Use it. I like the name Brooke, and frankly....just because her cousin will have a name that vaguely sounds similar, I don't think anyone will notice/comment. My DH has a huge, close-knit family and if I not only eliminated every name they have, but also any other name that begins with the same letter, or sounds similar, I would have a very short list.

If you love it, keep loving it and use it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"