1st Trimester

Trouble sleeping....

So I know when you're in your 2nd/3rd trimester and you've got the belly to work around, sleep can be tough.  However, I'm only 6 weeks and while I'm exhausted to the point of tears during the day I cannot fall asleep for HOURS when I lay down.

I don't have my first appointment with my Dr. until the 14th, but as a teacher I've got the first week now and the stress of that ADDED to being newly pregnant has my head reeling until it's far too late.  I'm worried that this stress and lack of sleep might impact the baby, which makes things worse.

I've always had difficulty with sleep, but I can't take my usual sleep meds with the pregnancy. 

Anyone else going through this while in their 1st trimester???

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Trouble sleeping....

• I'm a teacher as well so I'm not working yet.  I've been falling asleep on the couch EVERY night between 12am-4am.  Then I wake up and cannot get back to sleep until 6:30.  It's ridiculous.
  • Don't know if it does it for you like it does for me, but you can typically safely take Benedryl (sp) while pregnant - I know I took it with my first.  My OB also recommended Tylenol PM in the last trimester (not sure about this early though).  GL.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Seems like for the past week I've been in the same boat. It really stinks, but I try to get as much work done as possible while I'm so that when I do finally doze off I can stay out for a while. More like 2am-11am. Thank goodness for working for myself! Although I feel like a huge slacker at times.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am up until 4 am almost every night I sleep until 10 but can't seem to nap I always feel tired, some days a lil dizzy too.  Maybe its practice for when my lil bean arrives.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am in the same boat. I have no problem falling asleep around 9:30pm, but then I wake up around 1am and can not fall back to sleep. i toss and turn for hours. I had the same issue with my first pregnancy. It went away after the first trimester and returned the last month of pregnancy. So not fun.
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Me too! I'm a teacher as well- not quite back at work with the students yet, but have been in my class getting ready. By about 2:30, I'm exhausted and come home and just lie on the couch. I try not to nap because then I will never sleep at night. But come nightime, whether I napped or not, I can't fall asleep fo rthe life of me! It's so annoying!

• I'm not sure if this will help any of you, but here's what I tried. I started having the same troubles sleeeping about 4 or 5 weeks ago, but I got myself on a good schedule that's made a huge difference. I make myself get up at 5:30am or 5:45am and I go on a 2 mile walk. It was incredibly hard the first few days, but I got into the swing of things and now I usually don't have trouble getting up so early. By about 9pm I can barely keep my eyes open, but I try to stay awake until 10 or 10:30pm. Then, I'm able to sleep almost the entire night, with only one or two potty breaks. At least I'm not waking up every night at 3 or 4am anymore though. That was killing me b/c I work full-time too. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm 11 weeks and i've had trouble sleeping.I went out and bought a king sized pillow to stick between my legs. Don't have a belly yet to support but it made me more comfortable. Also my OB said I could take Unisom. This also helps with the nausea.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm a teacher too and had pre-service week this week and the kids start back next week. Some nights I sleep fine, but other nights I have a hard time getting to sleep and then wake up 2-3-4 times in a night. Super hard to get up in the AM. Not really looking forward to how exhausted I'm gonna be next week,
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageAnnieAyyappan:
    I'm not sure if this will help any of you, but here's what I tried. I started having the same troubles sleeeping about 4 or 5 weeks ago, but I got myself on a good schedule that's made a huge difference. I make myself get up at 5:30am or 5:45am and I go on a 2 mile walk. It was incredibly hard the first few days, but I got into the swing of things and now I usually don't have trouble getting up so early. By about 9pm I can barely keep my eyes open, but I try to stay awake until 10 or 10:30pm. Then, I'm able to sleep almost the entire night, with only one or two potty breaks. At least I'm not waking up every night at 3 or 4am anymore though. That was killing me b/c I work full-time too. Good luck!

you must not have had any morning sickness? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"