Breastfeeding

Should I start pumping now?

Hi Ladies. I'd like some advice on when to start pumping. I'm going back to work in about 3 weeks, but I'll probably only have to go into the office a couple of days per week for a little while. I think I'm ready to start pumping to build a freezer stash. DH is also excited about getting to feed LO her 1 bottle per day starting in the next few days. Does that mean I should pump twice per day until I go back to work? 

If so, I'm thinking about pumping once after her morning feeding and once in the early afternoon. Should I space the pumping sessions out more?

Thanks for your advice! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Should I start pumping now?

• Now would be a good time provided you have no BF issues.  Don't expect to get a lot at one time.  Also, don't pump too much or you could have to deal with an oversuppply.  I pumped enough for 1 bottle plus a couple of ounces extra for the freezer.  I also found it better to pump before DD ate since she was much more efficient than the pump.  I would pump when she gets her bottle and once during the day when you think you will be pumping at work.
  • I started pumping right around the same time as you. I would pump at night when DH would give DS his bottle before bedtime. This built me a decent sized stash for when I went back to work. If I would have pumped in the morning I would have gotten a larger stash, but I was kind of lazy. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • When I was starting my stash, I pumped 45 minutes after his first feeding of the day - usually around 8:00 - and then right before bed. When DH started giving him 1 bottle a day, I also pumped then.
    Our miracle has arrived! Benjamin Aaron, born 6/23/11 image
    Picture courtesy of Heidi Keene Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I pump once a day- if she only takes on side in the first feeding of the day I pump the other boob immediately after, and the one she ate from about an hour later. If she goes for both I double pump an hour after her breakfast. Morning is when your supply is highest. When DH starts giving her a bottle I'll pump at the same time she gets the bottle to keep supply stable for her.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"