June 2011 Moms

First day of daycare transition :(

I took LO over there today for one hour during which I stayed in the room.

I hated it.

One of the teachers was nice, one kind of ok-- they had WAY too many kids in there b/c they are in the process of moving the walkers to the next room (they only take them a few hours a day, increasing until they send them over full time). 

LO was the youngest by at least 3 months. One kid stepped on her-- one tried to take her bottle, and one COUGHED IN HER FACE- ew. 

The nice teacher decided she was hungry (I think she was just overwhelmed but I didn't say anything so I could see them react to her) and she gave her the 4oz bottle I brought WITH NO BREAKS-- so of course at about 3oz, URP. Milk everywhere-- she just said "oh-- you got your dress wet" mopped her up and put her on her shoulder to burp. So of course 10 min after we left, she was starving again b/c she barely got any of the bottle.

There were 3 babies in swings that were not being interacted with at all-- one fell asleep, one stared into space, and one fussed the entire time I was there. I know they have extra kids until they get the walkers out next week, but geez.

I'm not even going to try to get them to CD-- I'll just buy sposies for daycare and use cloth at home.

Needless to say, by the time we left, I was shaking, LO was gassy and screaming, and DH is my least favorite person on earth for getting a stupid job and not staying home with her. When he called to see how it went I burst into tears.

Someone PLEASE tell me it gets better? When I told my BFF at work, all she said was "but she'll have fun with the other babies!"-- there ARE NO OTHER BABIES! they are all giant monster children trying to smash my little teeny girl! :( We have no choice for now, as this was the only place with an opening that takes babies her age. May be able to re-evaluate in Nov...

Is there such a thing as PPWD? post partum work depression? if so I totally have it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: First day of daycare transition :(

• It does get better, at least it did for us with Gavin. The first few weeks were really freakin hard though, to drop him off and not know what was going on while I was there. I was sure he was laying in a crib somewhere crying and that no one was paying attention to him and he was wondering why I had left him. Then one day I came to pick him up and he looked happy. And he was smiling and he was so tired from all the interaction he got watching other kids. And then he got older and got excited when he would see his "teachers". And now he runs to the front door and tries to get in before I have everything out of the car.

It's so hard but I bet she'll do fine. She will see other kids doing things as she grows and imitate them. They will learn certain things about your LO by taking care of her, just like you have. She will get sick and she'll build up a good immune system. G was so sick the first year and has gotten progressively better every year.

It'll get better. Or it won't and you guys will find the right place if this isn't it. I know it's hard. 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh no!!! I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm so so worried about our transition, so I really hate hearing how bad it went today for you. Sounds like they have way too many babies per teacher right now. I hope once they clear out they will be more attentive. I don't understand why a teacher wouldn't know to burp your LO throughout her feeding. Isn't that just common sense? Eek! Hope it gets better. Try not to worry too much!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a little worried about Isaac being the youngest in his daycare too (he starts Tuesday). But, they won't be the youngest forever! It's really not that long til she'll be the giant monster child of the class. And it sounds like it'll be more calm when the walkers are out of the class.

I hope next time she goes it's much better!

Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • Oh girl I know how you feel!! When I first dropped my son off it seemed like everyone was either coughing, sneezing, or fussing.  I was so upset that I cried for two days straight and almost quit my job.  I, too, observed kids seemingly being neglected in a swing or crying uncontrollably with no one coming to their rescue.  I almost wanted to go pick up the kids though i'm sure that is frowned upon! 

It DOES get better though.  I have popped in unannounced a few times and the scene was far less chaotic than that first day I dropped C off.  I like his caregivers now and I'm starting to trust them.   However, I am going part time next month and I am pulling him out of that daycare because they don't accept part time infants so i have to go through all this crap all over again with the new daycare. 

Hang in there.  The first few weeks are the toughest times you will experience.  I still call every day to check on him and I don't care if they think I'm a psycho.  It's my child and I will do as I please!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm so sorry! We haven't transition to daycare yet (2 weeks, ugh!), but I just had to comment because I'm afraid I'll be in the same boat soon enough....
  • I'm so sorry you had a rough day! :(

Are the teacher/baby ratios within the state guidelines? In Texas it's 4 babies per teacher for under 11 months.If they aren't, I'd meet with the director and discuss.

I've done a dropoff and two pickups so far this week, and it's been different every time. Once was super peaceful and quiet, once was fun and chattery, and once there were babies crying everywhere! It just depends on the mood of the babies at the moment, so sometimes it feels worse than it is.

Our daycare has pretty strict hiring guidelines, so my husband just keeps reminding me that they are really great at what they do, even if they don't do it exactly the way I do. She's been completely exhausted both days when I've picked her up, but I know she'll adjust and be just fine. My husband popped by unexpectedly the other day and he said she was playing and happy, so that's good!

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Crap I'm really sorry. I'm in the process of looking for a center for my son before I go back to work in Oct. I met with one infant/child center today and can't imagine sending my LO there. The director was nice, but I was still judging her :( I know it's wrong, but I can't help it. She had looooong fake nails - unsanitary!! And just not what I imagined. I guess I'm expecting too much..like someone who looks like Julie Andrews aka Mary Poppins. There were 3 babies in the infant room and one was on the floor crawling shoving a toy in her mouth unsupervised, the other one was laying on the floor crying and the teacher was holding the other one because he had stranger anxiety. I wanted to DIE. I haven't even sent my son to childcare yet and can't imagine what your going through.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really was hoping for Mary Poppins-- although she always seemed a little wet blanket on the party to me.

They were WELL over the 4 to 1 ratio, but I attributed that to the walkers moving out. I believe when she goes in there will be 2 teachers and 6 babies, possibly 7.

I'm seriously debating telling DH we need to hire a nanny that will take his entire salary until Jan, then I'm quitting. My mother is trying to make me feel better by buying some "daycare clothes".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"