March 2011 Moms
Options

XP: mom's of intact boys please come in

If you didnt get you DS circumcised how do you deal with your pedi trying to pull back the foreskin? I read that you're not supposed to pull it back and that it will on its own as they get older.

At DS 4 mo appt his pedi, who is a woman, pulled it all the way back while i wasnt looking and then was really proud to show me how it was retracted all the way, totally exposing the "goods". He even blead a bit. Luckily it didnt seem to bother him because he didnt make a peep but it really bothered me.

Any advice?

TIA!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: XP: mom's of intact boys please come in

• Options
    How about give the doctor sh*t for doing that or find a new doctor.  No good doctor would pull back the foreskin on a 4 month old for no reason.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I cannot BELIEVE your pedi did that. I'd honestly find another one. @4mos, your DS's foreskin should not be forced back. JERK!

Whew, sorry. That just sounds painful and disrespectful!. I'd go to a different pedi and ask for recommendations on if/how you need to care for his foreskin now... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
    Application approved Dec '11
    Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
    After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
    Homestudy complete July 19
    USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
    Come home, baby A!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Wow your email just made me cringe and want to cry for your baby boy!  I can do a simple google search and learn that a baby's foreskin should never be forced back, that it will be able to be pulled back later on.  So this Dr has a medical degree and did not know that?  I would be royally angry, as I can tell you are. 

If you don't really have a personal relationship with her yet I would go interview other dr's.  Tell them your son is intact and ask about how to care for it.  Their answers should give you some perspective into their knowledge and philosophies.  If you DO like your Dr. otherwise, I would speak to her or email her, letting her know how you feel, perhaps cite some information that you have read about the topic.  I am so sorry that happened!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The same way everyone else told you to on your other post about it - get a new pedi. No doctor should EVER retract a foreskin on a child.
  • Options

imagefrlcb:
    The same way everyone else told you to on your other post about it - get a new pedi. No doctor should EVER retract a foreskin on a child.

EVER?  what about a urologist checking for hypospadias? or inserting a catheter? I guess I'm less outraged by the OP as anyone else, since DS (uncirced) has had all of this plus surgery on his scrotum behind him. I do think bragging about it is out of control, and the bleeding shows the pedi was definitely too rough, but I believe at all of our appts so far, his foreskin has been at least partly retracted.  Gently of course.

Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • Options
    imageMissYouDietCoke:

imagefrlcb:

EVER?  what about a urologist checking for hypospadias? or inserting a catheter? I guess I'm less outraged by the OP as anyone else, since DS (uncirced) has had all of this plus surgery on his scrotum behind him. I do think bragging about it is out of control, and the bleeding shows the pedi was definitely too rough, but I believe at all of our appts so far, his foreskin has been at least partly retracted.  Gently of course.

Okay sorry. No doctor should EVER retract a foreskin for non medical reasons, which is what happened here. There is no reason for the foreskin to be retracted until it retracts on its own, which happens long after the infant/toddler stage. I am surprised you don't know this since you have an uncirc'ed boy, assuming you meant it is retracted at every appt just because. I agree if it is for a medical reason (inserting a catheter although I can't imagine that happens often) that is different.

• Options
    Sorry to hear that. My Dr just pulls it back far enough to see there are no issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"