August 2011 Moms

Only 1-1.5 oz?

I am trying to build a small freezer supply and pump after every other feeding. I only get about 1-1.5oz each time.. Which seems really low. If you are pumping after feeding, how many oz are you getting?
Married: 3/01/08
Baby Girl: 7/29/11
Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!

Re: Only 1-1.5 oz?

• It's been a week or so since I last pumped, but I was also getting a small amount after he ate when I did pump. I could be wrong, but I like to blame DS for being so good at emptying the breast... at least I hope that's why I couldn't get much.

If you haven't already, ask over on the Breastfeeding board, also. They're really helpful over there :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Today I'm lucky to get an ounce!  I'm not too worried about it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • In the morning when I'm still more or less engorged after feeding, 4 oz.  I attribute it to the giant amount of oatmeal each morning and my LOs love of snacking.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • That's about how much I get too. LO is 13 days old. I've heard that we shouldn't care much about starting a stash until the baby is like 4 weeks old.
  • I pump twice a day (morning & evening) I get 6-8 oz with each pump. I store 6oz a day. But I have been pumping now for 2.5 weeks.
  • That's about normal. Make sure you're pumping at the same time each day and that should help. You'll also get more in the am.
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • The best time to pump is in the morning because you are naturally fuller then. The best pumps will not empty the breast completely so you can pump and then feed the baby if you want.  Or you can feed on one side, burp, and then put the baby back on the same side and then pump on the other side.
  • I feed from only one breast per session, and when I pump the other breast I usually get 2-3 oz. from that side, for a total of 4-6 oz. per day - I pump each breast once a day.

That said, when I first started pumping I was getting 1 oz. or less from the non-fed breast - my yield from pumping has increased a lot with practice (I've been at it since the beginning of last week) so if you're just starting out I wouldn't be too stressed about it!

DS1 born 08.02.11

DS2 born 12.05.13

• imageCrash Into Me:
    I can get 2 to 3 oz after a feeding.  You can refrigerate what you pump until you have several ounces to freeze.

Question for you on this: do you just pump the milk from later in the day into the same bottle you were storing the other stuff in or use a new one each time?  I've been using separate bottles and then dumping them all into the BM storage bag at day's end, but it creates so much washing and I kind of feel like it would be fine using the same bottle over the course of one day even though the milk you're pumping is warmer than what was already stored in the fridge?

Wow run on sentence. I'm so tired I can't even edit it. 

DS1 born 08.02.11

DS2 born 12.05.13

• Thanks everyone! I typically feed her on both sides then pump right afterwards. I just started this week, so I'm not too worried. I use the Medela Swing (looking back.. It's kind of a PITA only being a single pump).
    Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • imagevstevens:

imageCrash Into Me:
    I can get 2 to 3 oz after a feeding.  You can refrigerate what you pump until you have several ounces to freeze.

Question for you on this: do you just pump the milk from later in the day into the same bottle you were storing the other stuff in or use a new one each time?  I've been using separate bottles and then dumping them all into the BM storage bag at day's end, but it creates so much washing and I kind of feel like it would be fine using the same bottle over the course of one day even though the milk you're pumping is warmer than what was already stored in the fridge?

As much of a pain as it is you should always cool milk in the fridge before you add it to a bottle that already has cold milk in it.  If you add warm milk to cold milk it warms the cold milk up and it will start to break down the milk faster. But I hate washing all the bottles before I have enough to put into a bag, so I feel your pain.

• imagetink7227:
    imagevstevens:

imageCrash Into Me:

As much of a pain as it is you should always cool milk in the fridge before you add it to a bottle that already has cold milk in it.  If you add warm milk to cold milk it warms the cold milk up and it will start to break down the milk faster. But I hate washing all the bottles before I have enough to put into a bag, so I feel your pain.

Daaaaang.  I guess the lazy method is out...thx ladies. 

DS1 born 08.02.11

DS2 born 12.05.13

• Sounds about right to me :)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"