Parenting

Any advice on moving with the kids?

Meaning, how do I make it so they're not sad to leave and later ask to "go home"?

Our "new" house is older than our current one, so I'm fearful that they'll be sad moreso than normal because the aesthetic of the new house isn't quite as nice as our current.

I'm going to paint their rooms as soon as I can.  Any other advice?

Me with my littlest.

Re: Any advice on moving with the kids?

• Mine have moved 4 times in 1.5 years.  Kids are pretty resilient.  They have wall decals that match their bedding so I keep rebuying them to make the room feel consistent.  You'd be surprised that once all your stuff is in the house, how familiar and comfortable it feels.  Don't make a big deal out of it to them and it won't be a big deal.  Make it exciting.  Let them pick out a new picture or throw pillow or something for their NEW room.  Get them excited about the new house.  Not sure when you are moving but fall is coming soon so you can decorate outside with mums and pumpkins and get them to help decorate the new house.  We still talk about our old house(s) but they don't seem to be sad or long for them.  More like 'remember our old house how there was a big counter in the kitchen?' type thing.
    DD1 01.19.07
    DD2 11.17.08

• Have a setup box for each of their rooms and get those done first. As in, their bedding, pictures, whatever all go into one box that you carry over separately.

K was too young to care and was still cosleeping when we first moved, but M is a worry wart and it did take a fair amount of time before he considered this home.

AKA KnittyB*tch
    DS - December 2006
    DD - December 2008

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Ahhh, I feel your pain.  We moved from our house to an apartment b/c of where we were moving (i.e., we didn't know the area so we didn't want to buy).

Jackson still calls it our dirty old apartment (lol).

Kids are resilient though - I'd just try to get them to see it as an adventure and give them as much ownership as possible in their new home.  What was harder for us was moving from friends/family, but he did get over it pretty quickly.

GL w/ the move!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I moved a lot when I was little.  IMO, kids take it pretty easy.  The more excited you act, the better, since it transfers to them.  Letting them help pick out paint colors and decor and making it exciting and special goes a LONG way towards making the new home part of their lives.  Maybe have them start picking out things now (to buy later, or even buy some now).  When I was little, I never really noticed the aesthetics (I am sure both houses are nice) only looking back as an adult now do I really see that certain houses we lived in were nicer than others.
    Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • L has lived in 4 houses in 4 years... *ug*... so take this what you will.

Each time we have moved (when he was 1, 1.5, and then 3.5), we have always had him stay somewhere for the weekend (or this last time I moved a weekend when he was at his dad's).    Then, when he comes home his entire room is already put away, unpacked, etc.  

This time will be a little different (we are buying again!!! OMGah!!!) because we will be doing some work in the two-three weeks prior to actually moving in.  He will be around the house more, and he has been included in the home buying process--- Well at least for the second viewing of this house.   When we actually get ready to move our stuff, again it will be a weekend that he is at his dad's and I will make sure his room is 1000% good to go before he comes home!

Best of luck! 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I moved a lot when I was little. At some times we moved countries and didn't have ANY toys with us for 6 months or mote. I always look back on it now as an exciting time. I think that your worrying too much. Kids really don't think about it as much as we do. All that they care about is their family being close by.
  • We are moving soon, too so I will have to check out the advice others are giving.  Are you guys staying in Maryland?  We are headed that way!
  • I mostly lurk...but we moved across town 1.5 months ago with our 4 year old and 7 month old. What worked for us was for my SO to take prepossestion (sp?) of the house a few days early. For 2 days SO had a team at the house painting, installing new rugs, cleaning, etc. On day 3, SO came back to the old house, took the kids away for the day while I stayed to supervise to movers. I asked that thier bedroom stuff be put on the truck last so it would be the first off.  As soon as we were at the new house with the moving truck (around noon), I set up the kids rooms so when they came home (new house) for dinner/bed, the bedrooms were done and ready to be slept in.

I think it really helped them feel 'at home' since they were sleeping in thier own beds with thier own stuff nearby right away.

good luck!

• My DS just turned 5 and we just moved out of state two weeks ago.  He has done really well.  He has been super excited about school and things.  I just keep telling him "this is our new home" when he asks to go home.  I also explain that the people that bought the house from us are now going to live there so it is their home now.  Quite honestly he has done really well with the move....I am the one that cried.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"