Philadelphia Babies

Natural Childbirth

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on natural childbirth OBGYNs in the Philadelphia area. I'm currently going to Penn Midwifery, but might be moving to the suburbs before the baby's due date. I just figured I'd research a bit, because if I can't find a doctor who is on-board with natural birth, we'll just wait to leave the city and stick with the midwives. I've already tried the midwives at The Birth Center in Bryn Mawr, but alas! They are booked through January-- hence why I'm curious about any MDs who natural-friendly. Thanks!

Re: Natural Childbirth

• honestly- it is a lot bigger than finding a doc that is 'natural' friendly- My suggestion to you is ask around to friends/family/nest about the over all hospital and how 'friendly' they are to natural birthing.

Because it is usually the nurses that are the ones pestering you about pain management. You can be upfront and say, 'I will let YOU know if/when I would like to discuss pain managment' -- some hospitals/nurses that is enough and will respect that- others will come in every 10 minutes and ask/push it (a tad over aggeration- but not much)

Also- look in to a having a doula- they are very helpful when it comes to birthing naturally.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Thanks! I have been looking at the individual hospitals, but I keep finding very mixed reviews- especially with whatever doctor is on call. That's why I was hoping to find a private practice OB with privileges at a specific hospital. Thus far it's been a toss-up everywhere- it's whatever doctor will be on call to deliver. Which I know is still possible even with private practice, just not quite as likely.

Unfortunately, I'm one the first of my friends to be having a baby- so they are of no help, and those who have were all set on c-sections/inductions and the like from day 1! Plus, my family is all from out of town- so again- no specific help there.

I do intend on having my mom there as a coach- she's been an RN for over 40 years, in addition to having 4 natural childbirths of her own. I'll definitely be assertive no matter where I'm at, and my mom and husband will be a great help. I just don't want to constantly be pestered at visits and during delivery if possible. So far most of the doctors I've talked to are very keen on epidurals and inductions.

• Loading the player...
  • Right but that is the thing- honestly- your doctor is there just to catch the baby. I can count the minutes on 2 hands my doctor (the one on call- my doc didn't deliever EITHER kid)- was in the room with me PRE pushing.

That is where the nurses come in at- they are the ones 'helping' you labor along. your doc just comes in and does checks every now and then-

All I can say- (having done this twice) go in with an open mind. The more you have your head WRAPPED around a specific idea of childbirth- the more apt you are to be REALLY disappointed with your birth experience if something doesn't go to plan (which it won't) - I am not saying you will need an epidural- I am just saying- go in to your birth process with an open mind. Be upfront with your wishes- but be flexible because you very well COULD change your mind- and there isn't anything wrong with that either way.

I am pretty sure that just about ANY mom who has birthed will tell you that.

• I cannot speak for the nurses at Bryn Mawr but I did take my birthing class there and the woman who taught it was very pro natural birth.  I got the impression that if you made it clear what your wishes were to have a natural birth that they would do their best to honor it.  I can only speak of the impression I got since I have not had a birth there yet.  Also, I would recommend Main Line Womens Health if you wanted to deliver at Bryn Mawr, but not all the doctors are so pro natural birth and there is no guarantee which doctor you get on delivery day.  I do however like their practice very much and would recommend meeting with a doctor to discuss it!

I found this link...but they are associated with Crozer it looks like, not Bryn Mawr-

https://www.yelp.com/biz/midwives-of-delaware-county-upper-darby

https://www.delcodoula.com/local.html (some good links for resources)

imageimage

• I delivered at BM- and while I had a decent experience both times- and the nurses (ouside of the epi issue) were WONDERFUL!

I found the nurses pro epidural and was pestered even after explaining multiple times that I would TELL THEM if/when I needed meds. Finally DH had to speak up and he gave the nurse a rather stern 'Didn't you just hear what she said' comment.

• imageStacyc625:

I delivered at BM- and while I had a decent experience both times- and the nurses (ouside of the epi issue) were WONDERFUL!

I found the nurses pro epidural and was pestered even after explaining multiple times that I would TELL THEM if/when I needed meds. Finally DH had to speak up and he gave the nurse a rather stern 'Didn't you just hear what she said' comment.

Oh goodie....so what you are saying is I may have to get nasty with them, haha.  Hopefully they won't talk me into one.....

imageimage

• imagesmscartozzi:
    imageStacyc625:

I delivered at BM- and while I had a decent experience both times- and the nurses (ouside of the epi issue) were WONDERFUL!

Oh goodie....so what you are saying is I may have to get nasty with them, haha.  Hopefully they won't talk me into one.....

As I said to OP- go in with an open mind- but be firm in what EVER you want. Especially in child birth- you have to be your own best advocate.

• Wow.  I delivered at Reading Hospital and they asked me what I wanted when I got there and only asked two or three times if I had changed my mind.  I had told them that I intended to go natural, but if it got too bad I would change my mind.  I never felt they were pushy, just checking in on me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The Birth Center recently paired with Delaware County Memorial Hospital for non-emergency transfers.  Del. Co has midwives working in their hospital.  Might be an option?  I plan to use the Birth Center, but if that doesn't work out (I'm at risk for gestational diabetes due to family history) that's where I'm headed!
  • Ah! Thanks ladies. I really don't want to deal with anyone being too pushy... I understand being asked once or twice, but beyond that, I feel like it's a PITA. And I really don't want to deal with that during childbirth... I just feel like it's an extra, unnecessary distraction.

I'll definitely look into Del. Co...good luck with the Birth Center-- I'm jealous!! :)

• When are you due? 

I might have a few suggestions for you if you aren't too far into the third trimester...

Send me an email, as I don't get on here very often: [email protected]

Lori ~ mom to 2 boys, wife, doula, and childbirth educator - www.delcodoula.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"