Parenting
Options

YMCA swim lessons?

Anyone have their kid take lessons at the Y?  DS has only taken private lessons in our pool but I am considering enrolling him for fall lessons.  Anyone want to share their experience?
Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: YMCA swim lessons?

• Options
    DS took lessons there when he was around 5. The very first lesson he wouldn't get in the water and by the end of the session, I couldn't get him out. He didn't learn much in the way of techniques because he was still young but I was pretty happy with it.
  • Options
    CRAP, this all sucks.  DS' is getting pretty good, he can swim about 3/4 lap around the shallow end of our pool and can swim the width both above the water and under water.  I do not know anyone that has taken lessons at this Y and now I am back to questioning it.  It is $73 for a kid's program membership and then $70 for 7 lessons, I would hate to spend $140 for him to not get better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD1 has only taken lessons through the Y. She's very timid in the water, but I've seen improvement since she started. Her first class was in a group of 4 kids, so they did spend some time waiting for their turns, but it's wasn't bad. She had lessons during the summer during Y camp, so I don't know much about those. She'll start lessons again in about a week. Our biggest improvement is that she'll now briefly put her face in the water. ;-) I'm happy about that.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

image-auntie-:
    Can you observe before putting money down?

I might have to, I am now too nervous to just sign him up.  The good thing is that I am a SAHM so I can do early afternoon classes so there is a chance I can check out a class on Monday and then join for the first class later in the week, the classes start in 2 weeks and there are no classes running right now so it is limiting.

Any chance you have any suggestions for finding other indoor swim lessons in NJ?  I live closer to the shore so I am not near you.  I just called NYSC and they are $45 per private lesson and $25 for group lessons if you are not a member, that is way too much money.

• Options
    Our Y does private lessons.  I would probably check on those!  My older DD is starting swim team at the Y and I'm going to have my younger DD do private lessons during the same time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"