December 2011 Moms

Overwhelmed (CD related)

I wanted to CD with DD but couldn't because DH got a job transfer and we moved in with family, so we had to share a washing machine. They didn't want it used for poopy diapers, so I abandoned my research before I had really spent much time on it.

Now I want to look into the CD thing again. Holy brain overload. Which brands? Which styles? Sizes? How many of each? My head spins and I get overwhelmed and then I just abandon ship.

Anyone else in the same boat (or jumped overboard yet.....)???

Where do I start? Where do I look? What information is actually good information?

ETA: Posted before I finished typing.

Me: 35 I DH: 38
*TW loss and children mentioned*
DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

Re: Overwhelmed (CD related)

• Sorry, I'm so new.  What is CD?
    Pregnancy Ticker image image Anniversary
  • The cloth diaper board is a good place to start! They have an FAQ section at the top. Jilliansdrawers.com has a trial pack that you can order closer to arrival and it is only $10 to try it out. Also, the cloth diaper store in my area had a free class that I attended which clarified a lot of information.

I have purchased some CD's off craigslist for a great deal. To start we basically have 36 prefolds and 6 thirsties covers and some snappis (which should last us 2 days without washing). I have heard prefolds work best on NB so we are starting. I may get a few fitteds for nighttime NB stage if I find any for cheap, if not then I will see how it goes when baby is born. I do have All In Ones, Pockets and Fitteds that I have purchased for reasonable on CL. I don't want to invest too much in one style or brand because I don't know what will fit baby best. I figure whatever I don't like, I will turn around and list it back on CL for what I purchased it for. Right now I have about a $600 stash that I purchased for under $200. I am just buying as I see them for great prices.

Let me know if you have any other questions as I have done extensive research at this point...

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I was actually just thinking I feel the same way as well. Man I thought things were gonna be... well different. LOL. Less choices. IDK. I cant say I am gonna be help with the cloth diapers bc we opted not to go that route... right now I am stuck on breast pumps! I am asking around to some of my friends and then getting some opinions on the BFing board and trying to do a little research on my own from what others suggest. They have a cloth diapering board https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/9544760/ShowForum.aspx ... maybe try reaching out there?
    Good luck girl!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Check out the resources on the cloth diaper board.  It's a great start and they have many helpful links on their FAQ.  I felt overwhelmed at first too, and now I feel very confident.  Most of those moms had used disposables for their 1st born and now deeply love/appreciate cloth diapering.

https://www.theecofriendlyfamily.com/2010/07/ive-never-looked-back.html 

Married 5-24-2008;
    BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
    My Ovulation Chart 
    BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
    BFP 02-17-2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The CD board and Jillians Drawers like PP suggested are GREAT! I still feel like I learn something new about CDs all the time.

For me (and for you it might be different) I wanted all on size (OS) diapers in gender neutral colors because I wanted to get the most versitility. I wanted Pocket or Hybrid diapers because they clean better and dry faster. I wanted to try at least 3 different brands initially and then maybe trade what I dont like for the ones that I do like.

What I ended up with:

10 OS Grovia Shells and 17 Soaker pads (the thing I liked especially about these dipes is that the shells can be reused with a new pad as long as they didnt have a soak through or blow out so you have less laundry and less fluff, I also love the colors and fit of these dipes.)

6 OS Fuzzibunz Shells and 8 FB inserts

7 OS BumGenius 4.0 and 8 BG inserts

3 OS diaper covers and several different sized prefolds (I got these because they are CHEAP and I can use the PF's to stuff the pocket diapers or give back up to the any of my liners for over night protection. Also the PF's can be used in the case where I have dirtied all my regular diapers and havent finished laundry yet).

That gives me a total of 30 diaper changes with my "regular" (aka not prefold) stash and an added 10 changes with the prefolds and covers. This is MORE than enough because you dont want to let your dirty diapers sit for more than a couple of days before they get stinky and the pee and poo isnt good for the diaper to sit on it for a long period of time.

In addition to the diapers I also will be purchasing a Toilet Sprayer, I have a Fuzzibunz Diaper pale linner already but also need to purchase a diaper pale (aka large trashcan), and several wet bags for my diaper bag. I will probably also buy 2 more Fuzzibunz covers (I want a couple of pinks and a red still) and I may buy one or two Bluberry dipes just cause they are adorable!

I think my total amount spent once I buy everything I need (and a couple of dipes I want) will be about 650 (including all the accessories). I did buy my entire stash nearly all used (and they are in great condition) by buying seconds on the CD selling sites or by buying off of DiaperSwappers. That's nearly $200 less than what Id spend on disposibles in the first year.

ETA: I also use the Rockin Green laundry detergent for all her CD's AND clothes and it's super economical because it takes so very little detergent for an entire load and is chemicl, dye, fragrence free so great for baby and dipes. Buy from the Rockin Green website though, they over price it on amazon.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You should tell them that the poop doesn't go in the wash - with cloth diapers, you rinse them off before washing (or you can use a compostable liner inside and flush it with the poo, even easier). :)

There's lots and LOTS of options - the easiest thing for us was to take a class locally; there's a shop that sells all the various brands and supplies, and they have a free overview class to give us the lowdown.

We're probably going to start with prefolds and covers and switch to fitteds and covers for daycare since they're easier to change. But there's still a ton of details we have to figure out.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I also recommend diaperswappers.com.  It is aan online forum where a ton of cd moms ask and answer questions.   There is also a marketplace where you can buy previously loved cloth.  It is a great way to try different brands.  I think it is important to remember that just as jeans fit everyone different, so do CDs.  Don't buy all one brand for your stash.  You may also want to try different styles.  I thought I would like prefolds and covers, and use pockets away from home.  Nope, I use pockets all the time. Stick out tongue
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Well, there are lots of choices but back in the day our parents all wore the SAME  THING and they were fine!  I am just going for all pre-folds.  Yeah, I could get all fancy but I don't want to spend a load of cash and make it more complicated than it needs to be.  One of the reasons I want to do cloth is to save money, if I start going crazy with trying all kinds then part of my money savings will go out the window. 

So I'm sticking to a KISS on this one :)

• The PPs have given you a lot of great resources! I read through all that info but still felt incredibly overwhelmed. So...DH and I took a class. It was honestly the best thing we would have done and it definitely convinced me that I wanted to cloth diaper.

Some of the class was repetitive. The leader gave us reasons to consider cloth diapering and by that point, I had knew my personal reasons for wanting to CD. However, she had all the different varieties of diapers so I was able to look at each one and see how they actually worked. For example, I did not get pocket diapers at all. But being able to look at them, I started to understand why they are so popular. The leader also gave us exactly what we would need to get started and stressed that we would like CD so much more if we had all the accessories (sprayer, wet bags, etc.).

Anyway, all that to say that the class really, really helped us and while it still seems strange to me that I took a CD class, I would highly recommend it. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image image
  • Hi Tosh, I have been researching them in Canada for a while and my favorite brand is Mother ease Easy stuff, I will PM you much more detail.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

• Cloth Diapering 101!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVo6SMebcX8

I was overwhelmed at first too, but once I did a bit of research I got addicted and spent about $250 on Diapperswappers! I'm almost all set with my newborn/first months stash.

• Its all preference.  Do you want as close to disposable (without being disposable) as you can get? Or are you ok with two steps like a fitted/cover or prefold/cover?  Once you determine that, it's much easier.

I use a whole range of diapers but my husband LOVES Bummis Tot Bots (from Canada :)

Swap Spot is a good place to get used as well as Diaperswappers.  Our store (in Nebraska) has a consignment sale twice a year where lots of moms get their stash.  We also do rentals so moms can get a good idea of what kind of diapers they want to use--I know lots of stores have those available if you want to figure out what you want without the investment.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you might have!

• We started CD DD at 13 months and I asked around and found a cheap diaper $7-9 each and decided to give those a try first.  We were lucky that they worked for us so that's what we stocked up with.  I would try a few of each kind because you never know what is going to work for you and what you will really prefer.
    Big Sisters 2/10 & 12/11
    Little Brother 3/1/18
  • For our CD stash, I have bought 18 infant sized PF's from GMD (green mountain diapers) and 12 smalls. To go with those, I have four Thirsties Wraps in size Small.

Once the baby will fit into the BumGenius Diapers, we will be using those- my goal is to have 18 (I have about 10 right now). We are also using cloth wipes.

I feel like our stash is pretty well rounded and excited to try the PF's before we jump into the AIOs! :) 

ETA: I forgot to say that we also have a dozen BumGenius XS's to round out the newborn stage- total, we should have about 30 diapers that fit during the 7-15 pound stage. :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • Sorry about the P&R. Got side-tracked at work and then it was quitting time.

Thank you all for sharing your wealth of knowledge! I feel like I'm starting the process late in the game and you all know so much already! Thanks for the links and resources sent my way. I will definitely take a look at them all.

I guess what I'm most confused about is all the different brands. Is it kind of like disposables where you don't know which ones will work on your LO before they're born? Should I just buy a few of each kind and see which ones work the best? I don't want to spend boatloads of money to discover that whatever I bought is unusable. And I'll definitely have to look around for some CD stores or resources around here where I can go and look at the different kinds of diapers in person like PP mentioned. I think that would be super helpful.

Thanks again everyone! DH is mostly on board but is skeptical that I can keep up with the laundry it creates since laundry has never been my stong point. But I remember with DD that I used to do a load every day and actually enjoyed it - baby laundry is just so much more fun than washing man underwear :)

Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• You can probably make any cloth diaper work for most babies.  I have found that some diapers fit my skinny legged kids better than others.  Some work better based on baby's build, etc. 

• The ladies on the CD board, as well as my CD friends, say that they are like disposables and you will not know what works until baby is here. They have all suggested a variety to start and then decide what you want.

I have a pretty good idea that after prefolds I will be looking for pockets with openings on each end (so the inserts will agitate out in the wash). However I am waiting to buy those until the time comes and then will still probably purchase a variety.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"