Parenting

Dear Jodi (of the &Joe variety)

I farking love you.

Seriously.

LOVE your response in my trip post.  Love it.

Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. -Tennessee Williams

You take my ovaries, I take your yarns.

Re: Dear Jodi (of the &Joe variety)

• Wow, I am actually with Jodi on something. I would have sold my arms to have a DVD player in the car when we made out annual hell drive across the desert as a kid. Maybe not for trips to the supermarket, but for long drives...best invention evahhhh!
    Proud Mommy to Kaylie 12-04, Alaina 5-06 & Annalise 6-08 imageimage
  • Being a buttinkly. Am I the only one who's seeing the Vacation scene of Clark saying "we're going to have SO MUCH FUN, we'll be whistling zip a de do da out our azzholess!!" 

I'm calling BS on Rides. An entire car trip spent gayly laughing when the kids weren't sleeping? That is the biggest, heaping, stinking pile of dung I've read on here in a long time.

DD 7.28.06 * DS 3.29.10

Christmas 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • imageveloelle:

Being a buttinkly. Am I the only one who's seeing the Vacation scene of Clark saying "we're going to have SO MUCH FUN, we'll be whistling zip a de do da out our azzholess!!" 

I'm calling BS on Rides. An entire car trip spent gayly laughing when the kids weren't sleeping? That is the biggest, heaping, stinking pile of dung I've read on here in a long time.

Door to door time: 24 hours

Kids asleep: 12 hours-ish

Time I wished I was anywhere but in the car: 45minutes-ish

Time laughing/talking/giggling/carrying-on: 9 hours-ish

Time staring out the window in relative silence: 2 hours-ish

Let's put it this way.  We will be driving again this year, no thought at all of flying.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Well, you are a far superior mother. You win! I'll wave hi as we fly over you.
    DD 7.28.06 * DS 3.29.10

Christmas 2011
  • WTF is that for?  That the drive to Florida went better than we expected?  Why feel the need to take a shot at someone for that?  Jesus! 
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • So our DVD player broke awhile ago, and I prefer to spend money on myself, or clothes for the kids.  We've done several road trips w/out it, and it wasn't so bad.

But.

It's the tone of the responses about the lack of DVD player.  And really, the posters who said it probably know that.  Or they are completely non-self aware.

If I'm being honest, though, I prefer the DVD player.  Why?  Because I like to read and not have to entertain children in a small space while on a road trip.  Selfish, ftw.

Oh and b/c I'm too lazy to post in two posts - you have an iPad right?  Load it up with games and let him play them every so often as a treat for not whining or something.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Gotta say, we just got back from an 18 hour trip to GA with all three kids (my stepkids who are 8 and 9 and my toddler who is 17 months).  16 hours there and 18 hours back (because on the way back we were starting off from a place farther away).

We didn't have our DVD player with us because I forgot it sitting on the counter when we walked out the door and by the time we realized it it was too late to go back.

This is how our trip went:  Left house at 6pm, drove 1 hour to get stepkids from their mom's house (got there at 7p).  Took all kids to eat.

8pm: on the road again.

8-10pm: kids laughing, talking, playing their nintendo DS games, tickling the baby, etc.

10pm: GOLDEN SILENCE, all kids fell asleep.

10pm-7am: Kids sleeping, DH and I switching between sleeping/driving whenever we had to stop for gas.

7am: Kids awake, more talking, laughing, reading books, tickling of baby, etc.

8ish am: stop for breakfast. 

noon ish: Pull in at family's house, a little tired, needing a shower, but generally happy.

On the way back:

Hit the road at 2pm.

2pm-6pm: Kids awake, more talking, laughing, reading books, tickling of baby, etc.

6pm: Dinner

6:30pm-9pm: Kids awake, more talking, laughing, reading books, tickling of baby, etc.

9pm: Passed out silence.

9pm to 6am ish: Kids sleeping, DH and I switching between sleeping/driving whenever we had to stop for gas

6am: Kids awake, more talking, laughing, reading books, tickling of baby, etc.

7am: stop for breakfast

8am, roll in at kids' mom's house to drop them off.  9:00 HOME.

It was a beautiful trip and no DVD player required.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • E - that was my issue.

We drove to Outer Banks and back - 12+ hours each way.  Kids awake for the bulk of those 12 hours.  Watched one movie on the way down - one movie on the way home.  And not silently, I might add.  So that means 9+ hours of non-TV time each way.  And they did awesome.  Amazingly awesome.  I'm quite sure we all would have been fine without that one movie on the way there/back.  I'm also quite sure I will never test it to find out - - WHY BOTHER!!!!!!!

• And Bubs -- smooches!  I'm sure you will all do fine and W might even surprise you and be on his best behavior.  I was totally pleasantly surprised by J&C both times we made that trip.  (We did it in 2008 as well - so Cam was 2 and Joey was 3.5 and the ride home was 18 hours d/t traffic and they both did absolutely fine!).

And if he's not, plug in a movie darn it!  I was going to suggest Rio, but that's because we bought that one right before leaving this time and the kids LOVED it.  They liked the music in the beginning (before you hit play) the most.  You know, the music that feels like nails on a chalkboard after hearing it for, oh, about 30 seconds!  :)

• Ditto E. You are 50/50 in your posts. Half the time you come off as so sanctimonious and holier than thou in your tone. Good on you for having kids that will laugh and look out a window without bothering you for 2 hour stretches. Either my kids are horridly behaved or you have the most laid back children I've ever read about. 
    DD 7.28.06 * DS 3.29.10

Christmas 2011
  • But E, I don't want to share my iPad!! 

LOL

Go ahead and call me bad mommeh, but the thought of entertaining my kid for 9 straight hours in the car makes me want to stab something in my ear.  I'm looking forward to uninterrupted knitting and Angry Birds time.  

• I think it's a lot easier with 2 kids. We go on trips with out my ss often, because he can't be out of school two weeks a year. If W is anything like Maddie, I totally feel your pain. She doesn't misbehave, but she does talk all.the.time. I trip to Target which is 5 minutes away can make you want to pull your hair out just based on the number of questions she can squeeze in. I wouldn't drive more thatn 1 1/2 hours without a dvd player. I love the girl more than life, but sometimes silence is golden.
  • My 5 year old would be fine in the car without the dvd player.  She can happily stare out the window or color or even just listen to music.  My 2 year old?  I will bribe him with Buzz for as long as I can.  I think age makes a huge difference. 
  • imagemlm1128:
    I think it's a lot easier with 2 kids. We go on trips with out my ss often, because he can't be out of school two weeks a year. If W is anything like Maddie, I totally feel your pain. She doesn't misbehave, but she does talk all.the.time. I trip to Target which is 5 minutes away can make you want to pull your hair out just based on the number of questions she can squeeze in. I wouldn't drive more thatn 1 1/2 hours without a dvd player. I love the girl more than life, but sometimes silence is golden.

This is totally it.  

He would talk the entire trip solid if we let him.  No problem at all.

• My brats (LOL) fight over what DVD they want to watch & then their grubby fingers have caused most to have scratches or smudges so they whine when the DVD is messed up while driving. My horrible mom self has made 1 too many attempts at fixing, playing, changing a DVD while driving. So I no longer let them watch DVDs in the car. I do let them do the leapster, iPhone, DS, etc. Once they get a bit older & can agree & deal with troubleshooting themselves I will bring the DVDs back. I will say there is not much word games or singing songs-those cause fights too. Laugher =/= roadtrip either...3 in a row is a lot of screaming unless they are eating or sleeping. And I'll admit that I've said "don't make me pull this car over". I am my mother-LOL! (BTW- my roadtrips are just me & 3 kids...dH rarely gets the pleasure ;o)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"