1st Trimester

Question on Betas

I found out I was pregnant on Monday. I called the dr. to schedule an appt - I won't go in until I'm 8 weeks, so I'm not getting any beta tests done. I've seen a lot of people on here posting their beta #s. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can anyone explain to me what they are and why they are needed? If it's super important, I'll call my dr. back and request the test. Thanks!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question on Betas

• I got them because I had a prior pregnancy loss. 
  • It's a blood test to measure your hcg levels.  Your doctor will most likely send you for one after your first appointment along with the other pregnancy blood work.  People don't normally get them checked early/often unless there is a potential problem, previous loss, etc. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I didn't get them done with my son.  I have with every pregnancy since because we've had so many problems.  Most doctors won't see you early in the pregnancy unless you have some issue.
  • Ok, now I understand! Thanks!

• For both pregnancies I just called and requested them to confirm the actual pregnancy and to see if it is progressing. No prior issues, I am just super curious and wanted to know. I also test super early, so both my levels for DS and this pregnancy were below 50 the first draw, and then in the high 200s 48 hours later. It is just a nice feeling to hear that you are doubling in a normal amount of time and to put my paranoid mind at ease for the first week.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wish my DS, I did not have betas drawn. The only reason I did this time is because we had a m/c the cycle before this pregnancy.
  • I only had mine checked because of spotting before my BFP. It's not routine for my doc to do them otherwise. Congrats!!
    Little Squish #1, 3.25.12

Little Squish #2 Due 10.9.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"