Natural Birth

Would you attempt a breech vaginal birth?

Obviously, there is plenty of time for this little boy to flip on over.  But Grace didn't flip until almost 37 weeks and if I do end up with a breech baby, my midwife won't deliver at home but would stay with me through a vaginal delivery by an OB at a hospital that is approximately 45 minutes from my house who is well skilled in breech births.

The choice is up to me. I would like to have a plan in case he doesn't flip.

What would you do?

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

Re: Would you attempt a breech vaginal birth?

• I replied on the Dec moms board too, but in your case, yes. That's just about the safest environment to attempt a breech birth that you can have, I would absolutely give it a shot. Good luck, hopefully baby will flip and you won't have to worry about it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBFab11:
    I replied on the Dec moms board too, but in your case, yes. That's just about the safest environment to attempt a breech birth that you can have, I would absolutely give it a shot. Good luck, hopefully baby will flip and you won't have to worry about it!

Ditto all of this. GL Haley!

DS 12/18/2011
    DD 8/28/2014
    DD 5/24/2016, stillborn at 40 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, if everything was favorable to try, I would!
  • i've had a c/s and yes, i would absolutely have attempt a breech vaginal birth, if the circumstances were right.

the risk in breech birth is largely that providers don't know how to approach the birth; it is not inherent in the birth itself.

since you would have an OB who is skilled at vaginal breech birth, i'd feel pretty comfortable.

• For a first time mom, probably not. But since you have a proven pelvis and an OB with significant experience with it, I would consider it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, I would attempt to deliver breech, especially in a hospital setting.

• I would, definitely under the circumstances you're describing, in a hospital with an experienced OB or midwife.
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • I definitely would.  I'm totally envious that you have obs skilled in breech delivery.  As great as the Boston hospitals are supposed to be, none of them, not one, will let you deliver a breech baby vaginally.
  • imageLindseyJW:

the risk in breech birth is largely that providers don't know how to approach the birth; it is not inherent in the birth itself.

since you would have an OB who is skilled at vaginal breech birth, i'd feel pretty comfortable.

This.  Hugs and good luck!! <3

Also here is a link to Bellies and Babies breech birth options post.  She put together a great list of resources!

https://wonderfullymadebelliesandbabies.blogspot.com/2011/08/breech-options.html

• A proven pelvis and a provider who is experienced with breech vaginal births? Definitely.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would if the practioner was skilled and believed that I and my baby were good candidates (proper positioning and all that).  I would try everything under the sun to make that baby flip before I tried it though.  :)
    Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • I disagree with the notion that breech birth doesn't have inherent risks.  Head entrapment and cord prolapse are both serious risks associated with breech deliveries.

OP, in your situation, I would consider a breech vaginal birth.  I'd want to have a long talk with the doctor about it. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would do it, as I'm very against interventions and breech is an odd but not unnatural way to deliver
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• imageMrs.Greeko:
    I would if the practioner was skilled and believed that I and my baby were good candidates (proper positioning and all that).  I would try everything under the sun to make that baby flip before I tried it though.  :)

This. I am a little more open to the idea of vaginal breech births though because I know that my Grandma was able to give birth to my Dad naturally when he was breech and almost 11 pounds! 

• I'd go where I someone knew what they were doing.
  • imageKristinmo:
    For a first time mom, probably not. But since you have a proven pelvis and an OB with significant experience with it, I would consider it.

This. FWIW, I had a breech extraction for my second twin. Those are actually safer for a second twin since obviously the first baby prepared the way. If I were having a singleton, I'd be a little less comfortable with it but ditto Kristinmo; in your case I'd definitely consider it but I would definitely have an in-depth conversation with the dr about risks versus benefits.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • imageiris427:

I disagree with the notion that breech birth doesn't have inherent risks.  Head entrapment and cord prolapse are both serious risks associated with breech deliveries.

OP, in your situation, I would consider a breech vaginal birth.  I'd want to have a long talk with the doctor about it. 

all birth has inherent risk, breech birth included. however, we are all led to believe that we are just about signing the death certificate by attempting a vaginal breech birth and that's just not true. breech birth with a skilled provider in most circumstances is a safe alternative to an automatic surgical birth.

• imageLindseyJW:
    imageiris427:

I disagree with the notion that breech birth doesn't have inherent risks.  Head entrapment and cord prolapse are both serious risks associated with breech deliveries.

all birth has inherent risk, breech birth included. however, we are all led to believe that we are just about signing the death certificate by attempting a vaginal breech birth and that's just not true. breech birth with a skilled provider in most circumstances is a safe alternative to an automatic surgical birth.

I agree that breech vaginal birth can be done safely and is not an automatic death sentence.  But I don't think it's accurate to say that the risks of breech birth are solely due to incompetent providers and not that breech itself is a riskier presentation than vertex.  Obviously those risks are increased with a provider who is not skilled in breech delivery.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm torn.  Where I am breech vaginal deliveries do not happen.  They don't even try much to turn the baby; it's just a let's do a section attitude with everyone.  So I would be afraid (one of very few things about delivery that actually scares me) to try since the staff and drs aren't familiar with it here.  Now, if I had a skilled facility and experienced dr I would probably go for it, considering how against automatic c-sections I am. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For every 8,000 vaginal breech births, 1 baby will die. 7,999 will live. That is what started c sections for all breech.
  • I did it!! Big Smile

My little man refused to flip and we tried almost EVERYTHING, Webster, pulsatilla, inversions, cold/hot compressed, daddy talking down low, my midwife even tried turning him. I too had planned a homebirth and my midwife would not deliver me at home breech. Luckily she knew of a doctor an hour and a half south of me that was skilled in vaginal breech births. All the OBs I talked to locally where trying to pressure me into scheduling a c/s. I planned on having a consultation with the OB down south but didn't have time. My water broke two weeks early and we just headed down to his hospital instead. I am SO thankful that I was able to give birth to my son vaginally. I'm a first time mom and was very disappointed that I was not going to have the birth I envisioned but at least I avoided the knife.

If you have any questions about my experience feel free to PM me!

Good Luck!!

• I think the hardest part would be finding a doctor that was supportive and confident in doing one. Since you seem to have found someone already and if they seem trustworthy I would go for it.

In the mean time though I would still be trying everything in the book to try and get LO to flip.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"