Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

ear infection..

baby has an ear infection, anyone have suggestions on best way to give him meds?  He doesn't like it at all and gags and spits it out.  I tried putting it in his bottle this morning, but he didn't finish it - at least he got most the medicine though...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ear infection..

• Options

Are you using a syringe? When Jay was in the hospital they told us to put it in as far back as possible next to his cheek. If you have to pull it out and try to close his mouth.

Sorry thats all I have. Jay has no problem taking medicine. I oddly think he likes it.

• Options
    Similar to what jcole said - I think the best way is to angle it towards the back against one cheek. That is if you can get it into their mouth without them tossing their head back! Lucky for me, DD seems to enjoy the taste and does not fight much. Eye drops are another story.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep, syringe far back against one cheek is the best way. If my LO is being especially stubborn, I will syringe it all it at once with one hand and then shove the bottle in his mouth before he has a chance to spit it out.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options

sometimes you can add it to yogart but check with your pharmasist 1st.  I used 2 work as a pharmacy tech & i had a lady who had to do that once but I think it depends on the antibodic.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I made a smoothie for DD and put just a little in a cup/bowl and mixed the medicine with it and spoon fed it to her. She only likes raspberry/banana smoothies and NOT cold either. The medicine is pink bubble gum flavored so it mixed quite well. I tasted it too , to make sure I didn't have it too strong or too watered down. I didn't want to give her TOO much smoothie and have her not eat it all. Try just a little at first and to make sure they'll take it. It's the only way I could get DD to take hers without her crying and having to force it in her mouth.

Also...we went to a chiropractor and he adjusted her neck. He said she was out of alignment and that is why her ears weren't draining causing the ear infection! Her mood changed as soon as we left his office!  I think that's what really helped her and not the antibiotic.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"