D.C. Area Babies

Blanket for a 1-year old?

I think I want to give M a blanket in his crib starting this fall when the weather gets cooler. I'll probably still put him in a sleep sack, because the blanket will probably get kicked all over the place and not stay on him the entire time. Do I still need to worry about him pulling a blanket over his face at this age? Should I try to find something breathable?
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Blanket for a 1-year old?

• I wouldn't worry about the suffocation factor too much - he's certainly big enough to roll over.  We started adding more stuff to T's crib soon after her first birthday (a few extra stuffed animals she wouldn't part with at bedtime, then a pillow, then a blanket).
    imageimageimage
  • I put a blanket on Baby Handy, but he just rolls around everywhere so the blanket just falls off. I feel better though since the blanket is available, if he decides to use it...Smile

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
    Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
    12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
    2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
    3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
    4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
    10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon
  • Loading the player...
  • We gave a blanket to DS sometime after his first birthday. He still sleeps on top of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageQueSrah:
    I wouldn't worry about the suffocation factor too much - he's certainly big enough to roll over.  We started adding more stuff to T's crib soon after her first birthday (a few extra stuffed animals she wouldn't part with at bedtime, then a pillow, then a blanket).

Same. I always tuck C in again before I go to bed and it's 50/50 whether or not he's still under the blanket. I just make sure his jammies are warm enough, either way. He's gotten much, much better about keeping it on in the past few months (and even says "Mama! Blankie on!", if I forget.)

• Until pretty recently T would ball up the blanket and flop on top of it and sleep that way, too.  Somehow my FIL covered her up with the blanket one night when he put her to bed and now she insists on it as part of her bedtime routine.  But I still don't think that last more than a few minutes :)

imageimageimage
  • he can have a blanket but my kids don't stay under them, literally minutes after I sneak into their rooms to cover them, they move from under them. DD is 34mo and knows how to get under the blanket but prefers not to use it for its intended purpose.

• The risk is definitely lower at that point, and for the most part considered safe, but the older he is the better.  My 18m still sleeps in a sleepsack, mostly because he can't kick it off.  He sleeps in Halo ones, with the foot holes, so he can move around a bit easier.  Definitely recommend it. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"