Breastfeeding
Options

ok why no underwire nursing bra?

I have seen it stated NOT to get an underwire nursing bra... why is this? I have large breasts and I cannot imagine going outside my home w/ them flapping in the wind in one of the piddly non underwire nursing bras. LOL

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: ok why no underwire nursing bra?

• Options

I believe the concern is clogging milk ducts.  Some wear underwire but ensure they are fitted properly.  You might want to get a fitting at Norstroms or something.  Also, i believe as you are nursing, your size (number and cup) may change somewhat, so it's hard to get a good fit unless you've been nursing a while. 

I've gone up to a DD/E with nursing and don't use underwire.  There are some really supportive non-wire bras out there.  try looking at herroom.com.    I've got two Hot Milk bras and they are really supportive for no underwire and are quite adjustable to account for fluctuations in size while nursing.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Under-wire bras can cause clogged ducts and other discomforts. Its really just a comfort thing, I think. If you don't mind plugged boobies, you can go with the under-wire :-p I haven't tested this myself, though (I have tiny boobies lol) so I'm just going on what I've heard.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagecwhitloc:

I believe the concern is clogging milk ducts.  Some wear underwire but ensure they are fitted properly.  You might want to get a fitting at Norstroms or something.  Also, i believe as you are nursing, your size (number and cup) may change somewhat, so it's hard to get a good fit unless you've been nursing a while. 

I've gone up to a DD/E with nursing and don't use underwire.  There are some really supportive non-wire bras out there.  try looking at herroom.com.    I've got two Hot Milk bras and they are really supportive for no underwire and are quite adjustable to account for fluctuations in size while nursing.  

awesome I'll check that out after LO arrives and I see what size I need! Thanks!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    they're also pretty annoying to nurse/pump from, the flaps don't want to stay down so the "access" part isn't as helpful - might as well just wear a regular bra and unhook it if it's still going to sort of hang in the way.
    EPing resource blog: http://pumpingmoms.blogspot.com We want you to contribute your story!
  • Options
    The 2 times I've worn an underwire since DS was born, I've ended up w/ a clogged duct.  I have a bravado nursing bra and am a DD now.  I was a C before DS.
    Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member

imageJDoe11111:
    they're also pretty annoying to nurse/pump from, the flaps don't want to stay down so the "access" part isn't as helpful - might as well just wear a regular bra and unhook it if it's still going to sort of hang in the way.

That and there's not enough flexibility in sizing.

I change over a cup size between 'empty' and 'full'....underwires aren't able to account for that 

• Options
    imageGBCK:

imageJDoe11111:

That and there's not enough flexibility in sizing.

I change over a cup size between 'empty' and 'full'....underwires aren't able to account for that 

I didn't have either of these problems.  I used Anita brand maternity bras.  I was a 38 H at my largest nursing Sam.  No  way was a non-underwire bra going to work for that.  I did buy many sizes over the course of nursing, as I lost weight and so forth.  I was fitted regularly at an actual lingerie shop.  Worth every penny to have a good bra!

If you want to try using underwire, definitely get fitted and do so regularly as your size changes!  An ill fitting bra can cause major problems-not just discomfort-but things like mastitis. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I second the Hot Milk bras & I loved Elle MacPherson nursing bras too. They have the structure of a wired bra, if that makes sense, so lots of support. I was a small G cup at my largest during nursing, and E most of the time after that.

Try going with the least band size you can too, so that the support is coming from the band & not the straps. I was always told I was a 32 or 34, turns out I was a 30 once I was properly fitted. Made all the difference in the world. 

• Options
    I adore my Anita Nursing Bra - which has underwire.  It is essential to be properly fitted.  My one recurring clogged duct had nothing to do with the bra - just boob malfunction.
  • Options
    I agree, my Anita underwire is AMAZING.  I, too, couldn't stand not wearing underwire.
    Daisypath Christmas tickers imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Missed miscarriage 12/26/11 at 12 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"