Breastfeeding

Would you just feed from one breast?

DS has always preferred the left breast and had difficulties with the right. I was barely getting 1 oz out of it before I had to quit BFing 3 weeks ago. Now, I'm attempting relactation. I'm getting drops out of the right when I pump, but DS refuses to stay latched on since he's not getting much. He will stay on the left side for an hour if I let him and I get almost an ounce out of it if I pump.

Would it just seem easier to focus on getting the left back to speed and giving up on the right? I would think my supply on it would come back faster if he was always eating from there, and he'll comfort nurse there forever.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Would you just feed from one breast?

• In other countries moms let the baby choose which breast to eat off of and they just nurse on one side.  In our country, however, looks mean a lot and you will most likely be lopsided if you do this.  If that doesn't bother you then there is no medical reason not to only feed on one side.  I have to admit that I'm too vain to do that as there is already a difference in size between the two, but life would be much easier if I only fed from the right side as it is DS's preferred size and I definitely make more on that side.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm having a similar issue with my left breast.  DS definitely likes the right side better.  I was reading on the Kelly Mom website about babies having preferences, and she says that it's okay to feed only from one side if necessary.  I'm no expert, so I don't want to give you advice in the event that I'm wrong, but I think it would be okay if you ended up only nursing from one side.  Try contacting your doctor or lactation consultant and see what they have to say.

• Loading the player...
  • Does he like to linger at the breast & suck for comfort (even if he's partially sleeping)?  If so, what I'd do is feed him on the left first, then switch him to the right & keep him on there as long as possible.  And pump the right a ton.  Like as much as you can.

Edit:  I could have easily fed DD of the left only as it was the "stud" side for me & always made more milk.  But as PP indicated I would have been very lopsided if I did this & I didn't want that so I kept up with BFing/pumping the right & got what I could out of that side.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"