December 2011 Moms
Options

Job Search While Pregnant?

I am 24 weeks pregnant and have been in my current job for nearly two years.  I work on-site at one of my company's clients and have heard rumblings that the client may be cutting ties with my company in the near future, which would likely leave me out of a job.  I'm starting to get worried as the only reason I stayed at my current job for this amount of time is so that I can get maternity leave (I can't afford to take any time off of work after the baby is born otherwise), but now it looks like this might no longer be the case.  So, my question to you all is a)  Have you ever had to look for a new job while pregnant and b)  know of any good recruiters to contact for contract jobs for a business analyst/data analyst/technical project managers?  I want to be as prepared as possible in case things do go south with this client and my company as I need to have a full-time job until this baby is born for financial reasons.  I need all of the help I can get!
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Job Search While Pregnant?

• Options
    if they let you go for no cause cant you get unemployment until after the baby comes. I do the same thing analytics and project management for a healthcare organization (been witht his company for 2 years...didnt leave for the same reason...maternity benefits) My husband got relocated two hours from here so we moved in between. I would love to find a job closer to our new home but am afraid as well. If I were you I would look into being able to draw unemployment for a few months and while that is going on just apply for jobs, it is only a few months away and we will have babies :)
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageshanabonner:
    if they let you go for no cause cant you get unemployment until after the baby comes. I do the same thing analytics and project management for a healthcare organization (been witht his company for 2 years...didnt leave for the same reason...maternity benefits) My husband got relocated two hours from here so we moved in between. I would love to find a job closer to our new home but am afraid as well. If I were you I would look into being able to draw unemployment for a few months and while that is going on just apply for jobs, it is only a few months away and we will have babies :)

I was going to say something like this too... as much as I don't like to advocate *working the system*, it would probably be in your best interest to let them lay you off, collect uneployment until you can return to work, and then start the process at that time. Best of luck!

"If every word I said, could make you laugh - I'd talk forever".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I did get my current job this May when I was about 12-ish weeks along.  However, I agree that at this point it might make more sense to just stick it out and see what happens, and if they let you go get some unemployment until the baby is through what would have been your maternity leave, and then look for another job.  

Another thing you could do is just start getting your resume ready and searching out jobs, and if one seems like it might work just let them know that you won't be available until after maternity leave is up, that way you'll have something lined up if they do let you go and won't have to look for a new job with a new baby.  Then in the mean time if they old places lets you go you can collect unemployment.

Good luck with whatever happens! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"