Georgia Babies

How long until you received a birth certificate for LO?

Hi all! I'm looking for an estimate on how long it takes GA to get a birth certificate out. I think we got my DS's in about 3 wks from NY. The reason I ask is DH has vacation in November and we have a timeshare we'd like to use, but it's in the Bahamas. My next LO is due at the end of September, and I'm thinking that if the birth certificate takes a few wks then we wouldnt be able to get an expedited passport in time. If it makes a difference, I'll be delivering at Northside. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How long until you received a birth certificate for LO?

• OH CRAP, I have completely forgotten about this!  Can anyone point me in the right direction, I need to get Lauren's!  Shoot. 
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • Not sure how soon you need it (or how legit this site is) but visaexpress.net claims to be able to get same day, emergent, or urgent passports for kids. They charge quite a fee for each one, but I think that's the way we'll have to go if we bet on the birth certificate arriving on time.
  • Loading the player...
  • We had to get our birth certificate from the department of vital records. You can order it online or go in person to get it, the office is in Brookhaven. You can get it same day if you go in person. 

We just applied for a passport for our dd and they said 8-10 weeks but I think it will be faster than that, especially now that Summer is almost done. You can expedite it and get it back in a like 2 weeks. 

Edit: I think they will only do emergency or same day passports if you have travel booked in the next 2 weeks. Just expedite it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You'll fill out the paperwork in the hospital then you should get a letter in the mail within 1-2 weeks. Once you get the letter you can get the birth certificate either by sending in the letter with payment or by going to vital records online. I did the online and expediated it. It came the next day by usps but you have to sign for it.

We then went to the post office to do the passports for our boys. We expediated those too and got them within a week.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Don't forget that Atlanta just opened a Passport Office as well. If you need a passport in less than two weeks for International travel, you can make a reservation for same-day service there.

https://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_5446.html

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My husband was able to physically go to vital records and get it the same day. It's not an enjoyable place to visit, which is why I sent him but we got it done. 
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I ordered Mia's express from vitalchek.com.  It wasn't too expensive and was here within a week.

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I sent in our paperwork about 3 weeks ago and haven't gotten anything back yet.  But I did it by mail - in person or with an online service would obviously be faster.

Baby K ~ born July 1
  • Thanks for all the replies! It makes me feel better about booking the trip, I'll just have to make sure to get right to it with the passport app once this kiddo arrives.
  • imageMrsL1022:
    My husband was able to physically go to vital records and get it the same day. It's not an enjoyable place to visit, which is why I sent him but we got it done. 

If you're going in person, definitely send your husband and don't take the kids - it's seriously like walking into a third world country with lots of homeless/distressed people all over the place and smells just as bad.  I was pretty upset by the time I left - and definitely needed a shower!

• imageklvd:

imageMrsL1022:
    My husband was able to physically go to vital records and get it the same day. It's not an enjoyable place to visit, which is why I sent him but we got it done. 

If you're going in person, definitely send your husband and don't take the kids - it's seriously like walking into a third world country with lots of homeless/distressed people all over the place and smells just as bad.  I was pretty upset by the time I left - and definitely needed a shower!

I'm sorry, but this is offensive. I won't even touch the third world country comment, since that is no longer politically correct to even say, but there are not homeless people hanging out in there. Yes it is a clusterf*ck, but it is not some haven for dirty and smelly people of Atlanta. I assume you are saying this because the majority of the people there are Hispanic, and that is just offensive. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageklvd:

imageMrsL1022:

Um, seriously? I hauled myself and my 3-month old to the Fulton Co. Vital Records beside Grady. I've been in far worse places. I guess it's all about your level of comfort...

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @klvd Seriously?  I went there with my 6 week old and it was fine.  I also didn't think the lines or waiting were too bad either.  We were in and out.  

• imageklvd:

imageMrsL1022:

Um, interesting perspective...

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"