Multiples

One placenta - not ID?

Any MoMs out there have a single placenta and fraternal children? I know the odds are less than .1%, but I'm curious! Thanks!
Eli and Charlie born at 33w6d image

Re: One placenta - not ID?

• My twins are di/di but anxious to find out if they may be ID (due to only 1 follicle w/ Clomid).

Just curious, does this mean that the placenta fused together (as is the case with my boys but we had an early u/s that showed di/di so OB was not concerned)?  Or is it actually possible to only one have placenta to begin with but the babies still be fraternal?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am not an expert on this at all, but if there is ONE placenta then they are identical, if there are two placentas fused together (looking like one) they could be identical or fraternal.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetmbuchmann:
    I am not an expert on this at all, but if there is ONE placenta then they are identical, if there are two placentas fused together (looking like one) they could be identical or fraternal.

This is what I thought, but I only know as much about ID's as I've read from here and from Discovery documentaries.

• imagekmb585:

My twins are di/di but anxious to find out if they may be ID (due to only 1 follicle w/ Clomid).

Just curious, does this mean that the placenta fused together (as is the case with my boys but we had an early u/s that showed di/di so OB was not concerned)?  Or is it actually possible to only one have placenta to begin with but the babies still be fraternal?

it's basically not possible to have one placenta and be fraternal. for all intents and purposes. if someone who fell in that .00001% (someone with b/g identical twins, for instance) was on this board, i think we'd know by now. they'd probably have a show on TLC.

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • I'm no expert, and wikipedia isn't the end all, be all, but I was reading this: "Monochorionic-Diamniotic twins are almost always monozygotic, with a few exceptions where the blastocysts have fused," and it got the wheels turning in my mind if anyone on the bump experienced this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monochorionic_twins

Eli and Charlie born at 33w6d image
  • imagepea-kay:
    imagekmb585:

My twins are di/di but anxious to find out if they may be ID (due to only 1 follicle w/ Clomid).

it's basically not possible to have one placenta and be fraternal. for all intents and purposes. if someone who fell in that .00001% (someone with b/g identical twins, for instance) was on this board, i think we'd know by now. they'd probably have a show on TLC.

That is what I thought, but I am definitely no PeaKay Wink.  I am not sure about the blastocyst fusing thing, but very interesting.  I think I was a science geek in my past life as I LOVE anatomy and physiology stuff Big Smile 

• That seems pretty nuts to think it's even possible for there to be one placenta and not be ID. Interesting that it's even at all possible.

I was told at the 12w u/s that my twins were di/di. Then at birth I was told I had one placenta. Apparently they fused. If you saw my boys, they are definitely fraternal. ;)

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • We had Mo/Di twins. DH was routing for a boy so when we saw that the first one was a girl, I knew the other automatically had to be a girl as well but poor DH asked the MFM the chances of it being a boy. He said it was .01 percent chance and if it was the case then we have have a whole slu of genetic problems. Basically the baby would have been a hermafridite (sp?) due to a gene mutation.  Im not sure of the logistics and I wasnt really paying attention but that was the gist of what I remember.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagecaitdana:
    We had Mo/Di twins. DH was routing for a boy so when we saw that the first one was a girl, I knew the other automatically had to be a girl as well but poor DH asked the MFM the chances of it being a boy. He said it was .01 percent chance and if it was the case then we have have a whole slu of genetic problems. Basically the baby would have been a hermafridite (sp?) due to a gene mutation.  Im not sure of the logistics and I wasnt really paying attention but that was the gist of what I remember.

https://multiples.about.com/od/funfacts/a/boygirlident.htm

It's called Turner Syndrome and the baby would have a myriad of other issues as well :)

~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"