Breastfeeding
Options

how to build freezer supply

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to start a freezer supply?  Do I need to wait a certain amount of time?  I bf and pump for night time feedings but can't seem to get a supply for the freezer yet...
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: how to build freezer supply

• Options

I never started a freezer supply with DD#1.  But now with baby #2 I have started a collection.  I pump every morning after I nurse her and store that milk.  I get about 2 oz. each morning and I store it in a 4 oz batches or 2 oz. batches.  My collection is slow growing but it now really building up.  I've been doing this since she was 1 months old and now she is 4 1/2 months old.  

GL! 

• Options
    If you don't need one immediately for any reason, I'd say wait till LO is 4w so that your supply can regulate a bit. Then, like pp said, I added a pump session after the first feeding of normal daytime. Some mornings I'm so engorged she only nurses from one breast and then I'll get about 6 oz (4 from the untouched boob as soon as she's done, and 2 more an hour later from the other side). LO is 8 1/2 weeks and I just hit 200 oz. I'm sure that's more than I'll really NEED since when I go back to work I will in theory pump on Monday what she'll eat on Tuesday, but I want to have enough for if my supply tanks or to quit BFing early and keep her going on BM.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know the "right" way but what I do is:  LO usually goes to bed between 7:30pm and 9:00 pm - when that happens (might stay up later if we had a weird day - he's an on demand eater)  I pump at 10 pm before going to bed and get 1-3.5 oz (depending on when he ate last) - then if he falls asleep or does not want the second breast during the 2 or 3 am feeding I will pump it out and get another 1-2 oz. I set my clock and if I can get myself to wake up I will pump at Midnight and get usually 3.5-4 oz.  What I pump I freeze in 1-4.5 oz increments. HTH!!
  • Options
    I started pumping when DS was about 3 weeks. It didn't build a great supply, but it was a start. If possible, also throw in a pumping session after LO's first nursing session in the morning. I only pumped at night before bed when I was on maternity leave though, and had a decent stash build up to start off with. I do agree though on waiting a couple weeks, you'll see an increase in your supply then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"