Natural Birth

Prepare husband for med free birth w/o doula

I am wondering if you ladies can offer any suggestions on books or online reading I can give to my husband about helping me having a natural, med free birth.  We have decided not to hire a doula and have been taking childbirth classes at our hospital but I'm wondering if there is anything else he should to prepare.  I have read Ina May's book and am reading a couple others but they are really geared towards women and I wanted to see if there something specifically for the birth partner or coach. 

Thanks in advance! 

image   image
We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3

Re: Prepare husband for med free birth w/o doula

• The Birth Partner: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions by Penny Simkin.  I just started reading it so I don't know how great it is, but it is written for men.
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd have him read Ina May even though it may be "geared towards" women.  I think the birth stories are really inspirational for me and informative for him.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • imagefrostnoel:
    The Birth Partner: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions by Penny Simkin.  I just started reading it so I don't know how great it is, but it is written for men.

This book is my top pick for both moms and dads. I couldn't get into Ina May at all - I tried, it was all just a bit fluffy for me. The Birth Partner is very practical.

• The Birth Partner is a good read for mom as well, it has a lot of straightforward info about the stages of labor and how to cope with each physically and mentally.  Read it, and highlight the parts you want him to really soak up.
  • read a lot of books on the subject.  take notes.  and set aside a time you can sit down with DH and go discuss the notes with him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Can't help with books but am really glad you are thinking of this. For some reason I just assumed dh would be helpful and did a poor job preparing him, and it made some things difficult during labor.
  • husband coached childbirth is good. we unfortunaely ended up having to have a csection due to my sons medical issues (he had a vertebrae issue and it was scheduled), but this book made me want to do it naturally! it goes along with the bradley method.
    Cloth diapering, VBAC, BF & FF, AP momma to two 2 and under. Special needs - DS born with clubfoot and diastrophic dysplasia (dwarfism)
  • Husband Coached Childbirth. I had MH read - I marked the pages that were worth reading so he didn't get overwhelmed/bored with the whole thing. He remembered everything and it worked! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Husband Coached Childbirth. I actually read it TO my husband during a long car ride (the parts I thought would be helpful). And we made him flash cards (I don't know that we used them, but they were helpful for him to look over ahead of time, and I think helped reassure him b/c he knew where to get quick info). Also we practiced the exercises.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• imageSarahinMD:
    Husband Coached Childbirth. I actually read it TO my husband during a long car ride (the parts I thought would be helpful). And we made him flash cards (I don't know that we used them, but they were helpful for him to look over ahead of time, and I think helped reassure him b/c he knew where to get quick info). Also we practiced the exercises.

This is exactly what I did, too! It was helpful for both of us. 

• Bradley.  It's husband center birthing, he's supposed to work as much as you are!  I think this works for so many men because it gives them something to DO instead of just sitting there.  If my DH didn't have jobs for this labor he would drive me nuts and at the first sight of pain be telling me it's ok to get something.  This way he's supporting me the way I want, with no meds.  If you're due in October it's too late for a class but you can get the McCutcheon book. 

There's also a good book I have called Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds.  It would be a good read for DH to be prepared for all the things that might spring up.  He will know what you do and don't want and take a lot of the pressure off you during the big day. 

And just talk to him.  You know what you want more than what any book or class can tell you.  I've told mine you stand strong and don't be suggesting any pain meds but get me whatever else I want!  Whether it's gatorade or a wet cloth or pillows or a backrub...  And he knows specifically what I don't want to happen as far as interventions and care for the baby afterwards because we've had the conversations.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"