Austin Babies
Options

Is this something real or can I give a side eye?

One of the girls on my birth month board is trying to potty train her DD. Ok, so she's not really trying so much so but she's holding her kid over the potty a few times a day "to get her comfortable with the idea" when she thinks she might go. She's all happy that her kid has gone a few times in the potty. Now she saying that the kid reached for the TP and wipped herself. I'm going to give a side eye to that part since Jack only likes taking the TP off the roll and eating it or just spinning it till he gets bored. I can't imagine a 12 month old doing much more? Am I crazy to think that this is not even possible?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is this something real or can I give a side eye?

• Options

Google Elmination Communication. I have a friend that uses it and her child is potty trained for #2, and they are working on pee right now. She's not yet 2. 

https://www.diaperfreebaby.org/ 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imageSarahPLiz:

Google Elmination Communication. I have a friend that uses it and her child is potty trained for #2, and they are working on pee right now. She's not yet 2. 

That's blocked at work so forgive me. I'll read it when I get home tonight. But a 1 year old? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJayandJack:
    imageSarahPLiz:

That's blocked at work so forgive me. I'll read it when I get home tonight. But a 1 year old? 

I'm giving a side-eye to any kid who can wipe their own butt before the age of, say 3.  My husband was once propositioned in a public bathroom by a 4-year-old kid:  "Would you wipe my butt?"  So yeah, I'm totally calling lies on wiping their own 12-month-old butt.  And even if they could, I wouldn't LET them!  They'd make a bigger mess!

• Options
    There are people who start EC w/ their newborns.
  • Options

Yes.Her adjusted age is 14 months. Basically you observe signs that your kid is eliminating, or needs to eliminate, and then bring them to the potty when you see the signs. You can start anytime. Her daughter now signs potty when she pees, needs to poop, or even farts. Its pretty amazing, but it takes some commitment from the parents, and some diaper-free time to observe elimination patterns. 

I'm not sold on using it myself, but it certainly works for my friend.  

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imagejoyco:

I'm giving a side-eye to any kid who can wipe their own butt before the age of, say 3. 

Really?? DD was wiping as soon as we started PL, when she was about 22mos. She wasn't proficient at it in the beginning, but she was long before the age of 3. 

• Options
    imagejoyco:
    imageJayandJack:
    imageSarahPLiz:

I'm giving a side-eye to any kid who can wipe their own butt before the age of, say 3.  My husband was once propositioned in a public bathroom by a 4-year-old kid:  "Would you wipe my butt?"  So yeah, I'm totally calling lies on wiping their own 12-month-old butt.  And even if they could, I wouldn't LET them!  They'd make a bigger mess!

This is exactly why I'm doubting anything she says. She was one of the girls whose DD always did EVERYTHING first. And when she hadn't reported that she had done something and somebody was excited that their kid finally did she butted in say that her DS had been doing it for a few weeks or months. 

• Options
    imageJayandJack:
    imagejoyco:
    imageJayandJack:
    imageSarahPLiz:

This is exactly why I'm doubting anything she says. She was one of the girls whose DD always did EVERYTHING first. And when she hadn't reported that she had done something and somebody was excited that their kid finally did she butted in say that her DS had been doing it for a few weeks or months. 

Wow. Competitive parenting is already lame, but getting competitive about when your kid craps independently is super lame. That said, ditto MC. There are some cultures that start during the first year. It's more popular in parts of Latin America.
  • Options
    Not to be a competitive parent or anything, but DD was pooping on the potty at 16 months and would walk to the bathroom and knock on the door to let us know she had to go. She is now wiping herself but I always supervise and almost always assist when she's done. Holding a 12 month old over the toilet: not crazy. I also don't think a 12 month old copying a wiping motion is crazy, but I can't imagine they'd be very efficient, and would need at least some help.
  • Options

imageMrsBeckO:
    Not to be a competitive parent or anything, but DD was pooping on the potty at 16 months and would walk to the bathroom and knock on the door to let us know she had to go. She is now wiping herself but I always supervise and almost always assist when she's done. Holding a 12 month old over the toilet: not crazy. I also don't think a 12 month old copying a wiping motion is crazy, but I can't imagine they'd be very efficient, and would need at least some help.

I agree - I can see them "wiping" just not doing a good job at it.

Our Christmas Eve baby>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>
  • Options

Whatever. I give the whole thing the side eye too. It's not competitive parenting. It's just being realistic of what the average parent and kid are capable of . I work. DH works. Whatever you want to call it, I'm just not thinking that EC would be successful often enough to make it pratical for the average american family. Most other societies don't have cars and therefore don't have to worry about how long it takes to disassemble, wash and reassemble a carseat after an accident!!! And we have carpet, not dirt. Sure I guess if there were no other options, I'd have to figure out how to encourage Em to pee in the potty. But I'm perfectly happy with diapering until age 3 and I've no time or patience for sitting her over a pot or bowl a couple times a day while making noises. I support many many aspects of alternative and AP parenting but EC just makes my eyes roll until they hurt.

There's a huge difference between patting your crotch with a piece of TP and getting ones self clean. Having seen my fair share of that area, I can tell that many adults seem not to know how to wipe correctly. But again. Whatever. When we first tried to PT Abby she would "wipe" herself then immediately try to pat her face clean too. At almost 3. She just didn't understand that you can't clean both those areas with the same thing =P

That's an informative article but Mayim Bialik can kissmyass too. She lost all my respect a long time ago. She lives in some kind of parenting fantasy world as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not feeling the "we're all parents" love today. We're going to go run errands... I don't have anything nice to say today so I'm not going to say anything at all. Except what I've already written Embarrassed

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMrsRosie:

If you're a fan of her parenting practices (I happen to not be, but many folks are), Mayim Bialik is all about it.

https://moms.today.com/_news/2011/08/03/7142386-no-diapers-no-potty-training-no-kidding-the-practice-of-elimination-communication

Oh good lord.  She's so condescending.  Every time I read about something she's doing I want to not do it just because she's doing it.  

EC is real and I am giving it a side-eye. 

• Options
    Gee, let me see here.  Dangle my baby/toddler over a potty for a year every hour on the hour to toilet train ... or wait until the kid is ready and have it take a week.  Or less.  Let me think.  Yeah, SIDE EYE.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
  • Options

imagemlf625:
    Gee, let me see here.  Dangle my baby/toddler over a potty for a year every hour on the hour to toilet train ... or wait until the kid is ready and have it take a week.  Or less.  Let me think.  Yeah, SIDE EYE.

this :-)

• Options
    imageL L CG:
    imageMrsRosie:

If you're a fan of her parenting practices (I happen to not be, but many folks are), Mayim Bialik is all about it.

https://moms.today.com/_news/2011/08/03/7142386-no-diapers-no-potty-training-no-kidding-the-practice-of-elimination-communication

Oh good lord.  She's so condescending.  Every time I read about something she's doing I want to not do it just because she's doing it.  

EC is real and I am giving it a side-eye. 

Dude. It works for her b/c she just snaps her fingers and the poop freezes in mid air till she can get the kid to the toilet. Duh.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"